DVD/CD Writer Reda Slow & No Burn Problem

Oilpatch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Posted this same question in th Gigabyte MB Forum but no response, hoping you guys can help.

Built my own PC, running Vista Business, problem is that when I rip a CD into my music collection it reads at what seems like 1X speed and I can't use it to burn CD's.

I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 MB and My Computer > Properties shows it as HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B SCSI CdRom Device.

It is a PATA not SATA DVD burner.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The most common cause of this issue is windows setting the drive to PIO rather then DMA ( method of memory access ).

I am sure the Device manager hasn't changed too much.. so here is what you do:

Right click on My Computer, select Properties.
Select the hardware tab.
Select Device Manager.
Select IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Select Primary IDE controler (or secondary depending on how your drive is installed)
Select Advanced settings.
Make sure Transfer mode is set to DMA if available and not PIO mode. If PIO mode is selected:

Close the properties window.
Expand DVD/CD-Rom devices, right click on your drive and select uninstall. Reboot, then go through these steps again.

The most common cause of this issue is windows setting the drive to PIO rather then DMA ( method of memory access ).

I am sure the Device manager hasn't changed too much.. so here is what you do:

Right click on My Computer, select Properties.
Select the hardware tab.
Select Device Manager.
Select IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Select Primary IDE controler (or secondary depending on how your drive is installed)
Select Advanced settings.
Make sure Transfer mode is set to DMA if available and not PIO mode. If PIO mode is selected:

Close the properties window.
Expand DVD/CD-Rom devices, right click on your drive and select uninstall. Reboot, then go through these steps again.

Oilpatch

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks for ideas and support CompTIA_Rep.

Forgot to mention that I have plugged a second optical drive in that will not work at all, not even open/eject.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers I see:
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 0
ATA Channel 1
ATA Channel 1
Intel(R)ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825
Intel(R)ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820

Under the first ATA Channel 0 Prop > Advanced it says Ultra DMA Mode 5

Under the second ATA Channel 0 Prop > Advanced it says Ultra DMA Mode 5 and also has an additional Resources tab that the first doesn't.

Under both the ATA Channel 1 Prop > Advanced it is blank, presumably as I have nothing plugged into this IDE slot?

The ICH8 must be where I have my 2 SATA harddisks plugged into.

Is the problem in my BIOS settings?

Appreciate your help.

If you were to configure the drive in bios for PIO vs DMA, it would show up in windows.

If a drive will not open/eject, that is an issue not related to an OS (usually). Maybe try different IDE cables and a power connect.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006

You should ensure that each drive is jumpered and cabled properly. Don't use the Cable Select (CS) jumper position on either optical drive. Jumper one as the Master and the other as the Slave.

Do the drives show up in the BIOS? Besides the obvious places, look in the boot sequence area of the BIOS to see if either optical drive is available as a boot device.

I own this board but it has been months since I looked at the BIOS. I'll check this thread when I get home and if you're still having trouble I will look at my BIOS to see how it is setup and will report back here or PM you. I have two optical drives on the PATA channel that work flawlessly.