Sign in with
Your question

Typical Motherboard temperature for ASUS

Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2007 5:38:23 AM

Hello again!

What is the typical motherboard temperature when the computer is idle or when it is being used? What is the safe range?

Right now, the "Asus Probe" program reports my motherboard temperature as 38C and it gave me a warning.

I have
Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
eVGA 8800 GTS 320MB
2 SATA Drives
2 DVD Drives
600 W Power supply
Mobo: ASUS STRIKER EXTREME

Please let me know.

Thanks, I appreciate it!
July 27, 2007 6:05:15 AM

38C idle is a bit on the warm side, but nothing to really worry about. Are you sure you don't read the CPU temp?
July 27, 2007 7:17:49 AM

Those Strikers are known to run a bit warm, but I still love them. Just make sure that you have a good PC case like the Antec 900 aka turbine windtunnel.
Related resources
July 27, 2007 3:18:58 PM

Thanks for the quick replies you two.

My CPU temp is at 30C.

What is the normal temperature for a motherboard like mine though?

Yea I love this motherboard! I didn't have to do anything---it booted right up and hasn't given me any problems so far. Vista installed in a synch, no BIOS problems.

I was a little hesitant on purchasing the ASUS Striker Extreme because of all the stories I heard, but at this point, I am so glad I made this purchase! For those of you considering...I definitly recommend it!
July 27, 2007 4:37:15 PM

I have the striker as well. Here are my specs and the temps (idle and load) as I recall (I havent checked since I installed and tweaked the fans and stuff).

Asus Striker Extreme (bios rev 0910)
Intel E6600 @3.0ghz / 1333 FSB
Corair Dominator TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF
EVGA 8800GTX KO
LIAN LI PC-A16B Black Aluminum ATX
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
WD Raptor 150
700W power supply

IDLE
cpu = 35
MB (NorthBridge) = 45
GPU = 50

LOAD (like supreme commander at 1920 x 1200)
cpu = 55
MB = 60
GPU = 70

These are ballpark temps, I cant remember 100% accurate right now and I'm @ work so I dont have access to that box right now....

Anyway, the mobo runs a little hot, especially the northbridge (memory controler), if your bumping up you memory voltage, keep a close eye on your temps. You might get lucky and be able to drop your memory voltages a bit depending on your memory and reduce your temps more. I bought an after market fan (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1683...) and ziptied it to the northbridge
heatsink fans (its not pretty but it works). Seems to have helped a bit.

You might want to make sure you have at least the 0910 bios update for the mobo as it corrects voltage problems for the memory (some people were frying their memory sticks cause the voltage was reporting incorrectly in the bios).

Hope I didnt go too far off topic. At any rate, I think the temps I stated above are average for this board. I have had no problems and have been running my system since Feb of this year.

Cheers
July 27, 2007 4:40:05 PM

One more thing. Do NOT mount the motherboard inverted. Some cases have the PSU on the bottom of the case so you have to mount your motherboad upside down. This can cause cooling issues with the heatpipes as they will not "wick" properly. I think this is common with most mobo's that are using lots of heatpipes these days.

I contacted ASUS via email and they stated that mounting inverted is highly discouraged.

Cheers
July 28, 2007 5:42:49 AM

aziraphale said:
38C idle is a bit on the warm side, but nothing to really worry about. Are you sure you don't read the CPU temp?

My NB idles at 38 also, and its barely warm. I know the reason its at 38-42C is because of my massive OC.
July 28, 2007 11:05:02 PM

I am sure it's not my CPU temp. Here are the readings I am getting from the ASUS PC Probe program:

POWER SUPPLY (600W)
+3.3---->3.25 V
+5.0---->5.00 V
+12----->11.65 V
1.2VHT----->1.25 V
SBCORE---->1.52 V
CPUVTT---->1.25 V
DDR2 TERM->0.94 V
NB CORE--->1.23 V
MEMORY--->1.87 V

TEMPERATURE
CPU--------->30 C
MB---------->38 C
AMBIENT---->26 C

Do these sound good to you guys? Is there anything in my readings above that may cause a potential problem with any component in my PC?

At the moment, I am not experiencing any problems.

Here is a summary of the parts in my new "rig":
MOBO: Asus Striker Extreme
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz (w/ stock cooling)
MEM: 2x 1 GB OCZ DDR2 Dual Channel 1066Mhz (running @ 800Mhz)
PSU: KingWin 600W ABT 600CW (Modular)
VID: PCI Express eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
HSs: 2x SATA 300GB
IDE: 2x DVD RW/CDRW
July 29, 2007 5:49:08 AM

Everything looks good but also know that Nvidia mobo's run hotter than Intel mobo's. If theres any way you could install a Ram Fan that will help alot. CoolIt & OCZ sell Ram fams that blows cool air over the Ram & mobo. Plus your running a quad core so its a little harder to keep temps in check. You Shoud be fine now.
July 29, 2007 8:34:10 AM

Thanks systemlord for your help.

Also, I have the following RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

On the specifications tab in the product description, it states that the voltage for this RAM is 2.1V. However, as you can see from my post above, my voltage is around 1.87V.

The memory is running @ 800MHz effective, not the 1066MHz stock effective.

Is this OK?

Thanks in advance!!
July 29, 2007 8:19:25 PM

radium02 said:
Thanks systemlord for your help.

Also, I have the following RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

On the specifications tab in the product description, it states that the voltage for this RAM is 2.1V. However, as you can see from my post above, my voltage is around 1.87V.

The memory is running @ 800MHz effective, not the 1066MHz stock effective.

Is this OK?

Thanks in advance!!

Sure it is, if you want to you can run the Ram at 800MHz or 1066 you can with no problem and if you can run at a lower voltage then thats great to. Also whenever you get new Ram aways run a memory test to make sure your not getting any memory errors, I just bought new ram and after I installed it I was getting errors right away not good, I had to RMA that ram right away.

When I first installed my ram it ran at 800MHz so if I wanted to run it at 1066 I had to mannely change it myself, but if you run it at its rated speed of 1066MHz you'll need 2.1 volts. I like to run my ram at 800MHz @3-3-3-8 @2.1v so the ram runs cool, the difference between 800 -1066MHz you won't see a difference unless you going to be Overclocking.
July 30, 2007 10:27:09 PM

So since my memory is running at lower (800MHz) than the stock FSB (1066MHz), I can decrease the timings to gain some advantage?

Right now, the timings on the RAM is 5-5-5-15 (from EVEREST Memory Latency Benchmark)

If so, would additional cooling be required?

Thanks again systemlord!
July 31, 2007 3:59:28 AM

radium02 said:
So since my memory is running at lower (800MHz) than the stock FSB (1066MHz), I can decrease the timings to gain some advantage?

Right now, the timings on the RAM is 5-5-5-15 (from EVEREST Memory Latency Benchmark)

If so, would additional cooling be required?

Thanks again systemlord!

Yes you can run your ram timings at 4-4-4-12 easy. If you load CPU-Z goto tab "SPD" you'll see the profiles for your ram, this info means that this is what your ram is designed to run at. Also your ram can many times run beond what the profile says, my ram can do 1200MHz 5-5-5-15 @2.2v it don't say that in the profile. But running at 1200MHz is really going to have to have a ram fan or it will just die an early death. Its a good idea to use a ram fan even if your not overclocking as you can drop ram temps 20C just using a ram fan. You might try running your ram at 3-3-3-8 @800MHz 2.2v but you'll have to run Memtest along with Prime95 to see if its stable and giving you no errors.
July 31, 2007 4:50:03 AM

I have the P5N32e SLI PLUS, chipsets aside it's essentially the same board, but with fewer caps, and a less complicated heatpipe arrangement. Anyway I get ~35 under normal usage. If I OC my e6400 to 3.5Ghz (as usual) I get much higher temps ~42.

The one thing that I hate about boards now days is that if you want to change your NB cooler you'll have to find something for the Vregs as well and as far as I know unless you want to H20 cool your stuff you're stuck with cutting your pipes(not a good idea), modding something up, or getting something like the HR-09 from Thermalright.
August 1, 2007 1:06:20 AM

Hey again,

What program do you guys recommend so that I can check the temperatures of my CPU (As well as other areas of the computer)?

I have used the ASUS Probe and SpeedFan programs but I have heard that they are not too accurate or reliable. I also used a program called Core Temp, but they reported temperatures in the 50C's where as my Asus Probe program currently hovers around 29-31C for my Q6600.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks again for the help.
August 2, 2007 9:33:46 PM

Also, if anyone has the Asus Striker Extreme, can you post the temperatures you are getting?
August 3, 2007 5:01:00 AM

hi, im pretty new with this hardware. just got the rig built yesterday and just got some bugs worked out today (took out 2 gb out of 4 of my ram cuz im not running 64 bit yet and took out a wireless card that was making me crash like a bad pilot).

my hardware is:
Intel Core 2 Extreme qx6700
Asus Striker Extreme mobo
2 gb Corsair XMS2 DHX Ram (another 2gb stick is out of the case until winxp/vista 64bit are installed)
MSI Geforce 8800Ultra oc'd

and Asus AIBooster and PC Probe 2 are reporting:
CPU temp - 30 - 37 degrees celcius
mb temp - 33 - 34 degrees celcius

this is not under a heavy load, but not really idle either (im currently formatting a partition)

im wondering if this mb temp is dangerous, considering pc probe 2 is telling me its an issue and hilights that particular temp in red

btw, the system has a chassis fan on the front of the case, a water cooling rig with just a water block on the cpu, a MOSFET compliant fan on top of the water block, and a huge fan as part of the radiator mounted on the back of the computer over a grille where there should be an internal chassis fan, but i had to remove it so i could install the radiator.

any thoughts?
August 3, 2007 5:05:23 AM

so i just realized an issue in my cooling scheme that may adjust someone's suggestion.
the pump/reservoir for my cooling is oriented parallel to the back plate/ perpendicular to the pci cards (if you can figure out what i mean), and its basically exactly in the way of the chassis fan on the front of the case. the cage right between the pump and the fan is icy cool, and i just felt ridiculous heat coming off the gfx card.
i think that's the source of all my mobo heat right there.
August 3, 2007 9:10:33 PM

My motherboard is always around 37-41 degrees Celcius when the computer is idle. I was told in one of these posts that it was not dangerous. Since you are in the 33-34 range, I assume thats good.

My CPU is always between 28-33 degrees Celcius (I am using stock cooling)

Also...can you post your voltage readings from PC Probe? I would like to compare them to what I'm getting.
August 4, 2007 6:31:26 PM

Yea, my voltages are:
ddr2 term - 0.98 v
cpu vtt - 1.26 v
1.2 vht - 1.26 v
sb core - 1.52 v
+12.0 - 11.65 v
Vcore - 1.28 v
+3.3 - 3.17 v
+5.0 - 4.92 v
NB Core - 1.25 v
Memory - 1.89 v

and i've gotten new temps from running under a pretty good load
cpu is usualy up around 46 - 49 deg. celcius, and the mb is staying around 37 deg. celcius when on a load, so the water cooling seems to be doing pretty well considering i've seen other systems that go much hotter under load. I moved my geforce 8800ultra up to the next most vertical pcie slot to make more room for airflow, so hopefully that did some good.

so 37 deg. isn't a bad temp for the mb? im wondering what i should set the threshold warning to in pc probe. what's too high?
August 4, 2007 9:56:34 PM

My CPU use to be at 30-33C when I didn't set the fan control in my motherboard bios. (Feature: "Q-Fan")

I now set it in BIOS where the CPU cooling is controlled by the motherboard, and now it's very quiet and usually hovers around 40C. It was loud before because the stock fan was running at 100% speed.

And my motherboard is ALWAYS in the high 30's and low 40's. I'm not sure if this is good or not, but I haven't been having any other problems with my Striker Extreme.

Any suggestions?
August 6, 2007 7:55:55 PM

ALSO, where is the actual motherboard temperature coming from? What part of the motherboard is it?
August 20, 2007 12:06:02 PM

Hi,

here is the temperatures I read from both bios and ASUS probe:

CPU: about 20c
MB: about 45c

Core2 Duo E6750@2.66 FSB1333/ ASUS P5K/ Patrion 2x1GB LLK DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 (but know automatically set to a higher frequency with 5-5-5-16) / ASUS 6800 GT 256-silent/ Samsung syncmaster 206bw/
Vista Ultimate/ no OC yet!

as good as the cpu temperature I think the MB is so hot.
I didn't any OC and using stock intel fan for CPU.
I've set the profile of the Q-Fan for both chasis and cpu fans but there is no serious reduction in MB temperature.

anybody has idea on my case?

Thx
:( 
September 19, 2007 9:28:40 PM

It's not much you can do about it (unless installing alot more fans, more airflow and so on) but i think you don't HAVE to do anything about it

Those Asus motherboards just tend to get a little hot with those heat pipes on it.

I've got an asus P5k3 board which is almost the same and i get 40+ degrees when idle
June 1, 2008 2:21:59 PM

I just put an ASUS P5N-D motherboard together w/ an Intel 775 DUO 1.87g, 9600 GT 512MB, two gigs of ram. I installed four 120mm THERMALTAKE ball bearing fans (2000 RPM max each), as well as a Butterfly CPU heatsink. All so using PC Probe 2 (ASUS). Temperature's are reading 86F (30C) degrees on CPU, 96F (36C) degrees on the motherboard. These temps are when under heavy usage. Is this good? Do I need passive cooling for my new computer?
August 20, 2008 12:20:34 PM

is this working
August 20, 2008 12:25:43 PM

I just want to say, I got a asus m2a-vm motherboard, with quad 4 phenom 9850, 4gb ram, extra big superfan on CPU, as well as big chassis fan blowing out the back, and I still get cpu temps of 39c, and motherboard temps of 40-42c.....So I took both sides off case, and am blowing a small 6inch fan into the case...I now get cpu temps of 30-31c and motherboard temps of 36-37c...All temps at "idle"...
Just for your info.....

I can't seem to find a definitive answer from AMD or ASUS of what a safe operating range is for temperatures on these products, but I suspect 40-45 would not be considered "unsafe". I have tried about 5 or 6 different monitoring programs...they all give basically the same results (plus or minus 2-3 degrees)

Just to add my two cents worth.....Bob
August 25, 2008 10:29:17 PM

my asus m3n72-d runs at about 38C idle and 45 under full load
August 26, 2008 12:34:14 PM

All I can add to this - after spending about a week watching temps - is do not use ASUSProbe for anything.

Get CoreTemp, RealTemp and Everest and determine your CPU temps from there. Some of you are mentioning 20c for your CPU with stock cooler under ASUSProbe? That's room temp and cannot be real.

Here's what you believe to happening...

"My CPU is always between 28-33 degrees Celcius (I am using stock cooling) "

Here's what's really happening:

"I also used a program called Core Temp, but they reported temperatures in the 50C's where as my Asus Probe program currently hovers around 29-31C for my Q6600. "

The "50" are more what I expected to see...especially with the stick cooler. My stock cooler with a Q6600 was 59C at idle. I threw it in the garbage and bought an Arctic Colling Freezer Pro. I now idle at 45C

Any of the Intel chips in this thread will be at a minimum of say 35C or more when measured with one of the above. Actually - if your CPU is even close to 35C @ idle - consider yourself very lucky. 40C+ is more the norm - and that is idle - especially for a quad core.
February 1, 2009 7:46:00 AM

This seems like a good place for some help:

I've got a P5Q3 mobo I just installed. Asus Probe 2 is reporting the temperature around 130 degrees f (about 54 c) with the tower closed up, and around 120 degrees f (about 50 c) with the tower open. Both temperatures are giving me a heat warning on Probe.

The only thing running other than Firefox at this point is the formatting of a 1 T drive. But even with the format cancelled, the temperature stayed pretty consistent.

My other specs:

Motherboard ASUS P5Q3
Hard Drive Western Digital WD3200KSRTL
Hard Drive Seagate Ultra ATA/100 1tb
Processor Intel Q6600
Video Card BFG Tech GeForce 9800 GTX+
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
RAM Corsair XMS3
Optical Drive IPSG PIO 18x DVDRW
February 1, 2009 7:16:58 PM

I have experience at idol w/.XP 2 gigs of Ram almost what u have but running a raptor and a 939 dual core 6gig AMD CPU. Temp between 98F TO 104F at idol. This temp mostly run in the 98F range. Sometimes lower. Contribute to a 120mm Cpu copper core round fin cooler,120mm side case fan and 3 80MM case fans. One front 2 back with a full tower. I have now gone to Vista Ultimate. Changed my sound card and added 2 gigs of Ram making it 4 gigs. I do have very few issues with Vista Ultimate 64bit. I have found out it is all about what works best with your system and most of the time that is "upgrade hardware."!
September 7, 2009 8:56:40 PM

hy,

i Asus P5B-E-PLUS mb ,,,, with 2 x 120 mm cooler on ANTEC SLK3000B case
with Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1866 MHz cpu .... 5 sata, 2 ide hdd and 1 dvd

for me it shows:
CPU: 31 C
MB: 28 C

robert

April 7, 2010 2:48:12 PM

Preecher said:
One more thing. Do NOT mount the motherboard inverted. Some cases have the PSU on the bottom of the case so you have to mount your motherboad upside down. This can cause cooling issues with the heatpipes as they will not "wick" properly. I think this is common with most mobo's that are using lots of heatpipes these days.

I contacted ASUS via email and they stated that mounting inverted is highly discouraged.

Cheers

Preecher i know this thread is old but i could not help myself when i seen this comment by you...tell us how does one install the mobo upside down?i have the striker extreme with a core 2 extreme QX9650 oc'd@4.2 8gb mushkin ram oc'd@ 1066 and radeon 5970 oc'd@ 940\5300 with antec 900 two case (power suplly in the bottom) it would be next to impossible to invert the mobo as you have stated for 1 you would need to run your extrenal connection on the back panel inside the case as those ports would be facing the HDD cages and 2 well it don't make any sense what soever to even concieve of doing sush a thing, the whole point of the psu on the bottom of the case is for those that are using a psu with a 120mm fan and in some case a 120mm and a 60 or 80mm fan the 120mm pulls hotair down from the vga and cpu (mostly vga) card and pushes it out the rear of the fan. So i am not sure where you got the idea you needed to invert your mobo to use these types of high end gaming cases but you have been seriously misled my friend.The only trouble you will find that is common with these cases are PSU's that have long enough cableing to properly route them behind the mobo due to the lenght, eg buy a modular psu made for bottom mount.
Hope that clarifies that for you.
Azazel
February 17, 2012 6:40:43 AM

Hi guys !

I have an ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU motherboard. I've got an Intel Dual Core E 6300 2.8 GHz. DDR 2 RAM 800 MHz. Radeon HD 6850. 600 W OCZ power supply.

My ASUS AI Suite and PC Probe are showing my motherboard temperature as 45* C. And the threshold according to stock settings in the PC Probe were 45* C for the motherboard which is why it was sounding an alarm. Is 45 * C high for my motherboard ?
Why is it at 45 * C ? Anybody got any ideas ? I'm reading people having temps as low as 30 * C.

And how can I find out what my motherboard threshold is ? Can't seem to find a max value in the manuals. Anybody know ?

I'm planning to overclock my CPU so I need to know what the threshold is so that I can keep everything in check and not fry something.

Thanks !
!