115c-119c temps on my EVGA 6800GT, is this bad?

ITDEFX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
So I was looking at the temp readings of my EVGA 6800GT AGP card the other day and started noticing it was reporting on load it was about 115c - 119c both with the Nvidia softare and Riva Tuner. On Idle mode, I get about 75c-77c. I have blown out the case real good from dust and the GPU fan is working fine. Games like RE4 PC I am getting 100c....... the World in Conflict Beta I am getting about 115c-119c. Some people think it's my sensor on the card reporting wrong numbers. Al thought I haven't seen any screen artifacts I am getting some slow downs and reboots in some games (Source engine games like Ep1 and Sin: Emergence) I've had this card for over 2 years and about to do an overhaul system upgrade (with the 8xXX series card) Any ideas what's up?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006

I own a 6800GT in my second system and those numbers are WAY too high. I'd suggest trying to reapply some thermal solution onto the heatsink. I know I shouldn't be asking you for favors, but could you post a screenshot of RE4 on the PC? I love the game and own both the Gamecube and Wii version and horror stories of the PC version looking awful without mouse support have kept me away.

williamfontaine

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2007
The highest I EVER get on my X1900 is 70-75... those numbers are crazy, I would have thought that something would have melted by now. Maybe the sensor is wrong, or maybe it really does handle those temps. I second the cleaning as a first test and see if that does anything.

But then if you're just going to move up to the 8800, then I guess this card's days are numbered anyway.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
With those temp's i'm impressed that the card hasn't issued forth the magic blue smoke yet!!

With those temps a quick way to see if the thermal sensor is fried, leave the side of the case off, get the card cranking over on some graphics intensive program, and monitor the temps. when they get really high (like 70 C or more) touch the heat sink, or the back of the card near the GPU (don't touch any of the soldered contacts!) if you burn you're finger, the sensor's working, if you don't then the sensors fine, and you could start a small sauna in you're case.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
To the OP, you mentioned you cleaned out your case and that the 6800's fan was spinning. Did you remove the card so you can really be sure to get all the dust out of the card. You need to be able to look down the length of the card and be sure all the dust bunnies are out of the heatsinks.

One of my computers still has a 6800gt and I'm always amazed by how one or two dust bunnies in the heatsinks affects the temps. After every cleaning it operates in 70's-80's but after a few months of neglect it accumulates dust and easily goes over 100c. Off the top of my head I believe it is good for 120 before throttling.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
Dang 115C-119C? I think the maximum threshold temp for that core is 125C since I own a 6800 AGP. At that temp, you might as well cook your breakfast or something.

And yes the higher the temp, the shorter the life of the component. I remember reading somewhere that for every 10C you bring down, you extend its life 10 years more.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Not that the 6800 will be gaming worthy for much longer... but you should really look on those temps, as evilonigiri said, the core threshold is 125, and you shouldn't be above 100 at any point to be honest.

Just so you get an idea of how hot that is, 100oC is the boiling point for water.

HPCE_Larry

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
Thats really out of control. GPU's have higher temps than the rest of your parts but anything over 100c really needs dealt with. Do you have adequite case cooling? Make sure the dust is cleaned out, and RMA if you have to. You should burn you finger almost instantly if you touch it and its really that hot.

ITDEFX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
ok, tomorrow when I get back from work I am going to take out the card and use a can of air to blow out the dust from the smallest areas and the in betweens of the heatsink/fan. I am really surprised I haven't seen any artifacts. This means that EVGA cards don't crap out under extreme conditions.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Cool.

Play a game, then make scrambled eggs.

Seriously - as many have said, that seems really hot.

It almost seems like you'd smell some kind of burnt smell at those temps with that particular card.

ddwaldon

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Man you beat my 6800gt by 4c :(

Mine ran at 110 to 115c for a couple of months (load) 75 to 80c(idle)
Before i found the problem.
It was dust in the (stock heatsink) You cant just take the side panel off and have a look see.
To be sure you have to take the gpu out and use a light.

Oh this was two years ago and the /my 68gt is still kickin :D

ddwaldon

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007

Yes my two 68,s are from evga.
And at those temps i never seen any artifacts either. :ouch:

bob360

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
my old 6600gt got to a point were it was 110c at load...reapplied the thermal paste and problem solved 80c max..

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
no but seriously i would just do waht everyone else is saying, which is reapply the thermal paste, then check fan rpm make sure its at 100%...if this doest work either ur sensor is bad or ur vid card is dying in which case u need to get that heater out of there...

ITDEFX

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
good news folks

I took the card out, unscrewed the evga side label, blew compressed air in every small area of the card I could get to, reinstalled and bam... idle temps are now at 54c and load is 73c!!! much better now!

thanks for all the help! I am really surprised that it didn't catch fire or smoke out!! :)