Buyer beware of the P35-DQ6 series of motherboards

kevinali

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I was thinkging about getting the p36-DQ6 until i heard that Gigabyte will discontinue it right after the x38-DQ6 comes out at the end of aug or early sept

Here is a quote from an interview with a Gigabyte product manager

"While we were waiting for other guests to arrive, I had an opportunity to pose some questions to Thomas Lee, Gigabyte's Marketing Manager, getting some insight into Gigabyte's plans and upcoming products. While we will be posting an interview with Thomas within the next week or two, right now we can tell you that Gigabyte will be discontinuing at least one of the P35-DQ6 model of motherboards once the X38 board hits the market. While some may be a bit confused as to why Gigabyte would stop selling their most popular board, its simply a case of them not wanting to compete against themselves as Gigabyte will offer the X38 motherboard in both DDR2 and DDR3 flavors, filling the high end enthusiast niche"

http://hardwarelogic.com/news/145/ARTICLE/1450/2/2007-07-25.html

Kevin

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Well to me it's kind of like "duh" why wouldn't they do that. While they should fully support the motherboard the release of the X38 will replace the high end enthusiast choice, many will see the P35 as the mainstream chipset and then see the P35-Dq6 as an over reaching mainstream product when you can get the new chipset that has every thing you could imagine for $250-$300,

It's kind of like do you get a the high end Ford Mustang Shelby 500, or a Corvette. While the beginning mindset of one was to be more mainstream but has not been modified and pumped up to it's current vision but limited by it's beginning feature set, or do you go with the one that from the outset was suppose to deliver/have those features from the outset.

jeditim

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Yea I know...I should have probably waited but my last computer died completly this past week anyway so I couldn't have waited. For now it will do. :whistle:

jeditim

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
First car was a Mustang GT...go with the Shelby...even though I saw a new Saleen Mustang drive by last night...sweet.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
While i would love the Shelby too maybe i chose too sensitive of a car for you enthusiasts. Maybe a Dodge Neon SRT4 pumped to 400hp, or a would you have a Corvette with 400hp.