Distinguished
May 2, 2007
I am building the following system:

Intel Core 2 Quad - Q6600
4 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x1)
XFX 8800 Ultra (SHE9)
Coolermaster Extremepower 600W
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit + Windows XP Pro 32bit

I have already ordered these parts. I was planning on getting the ASUS P5N-E SLI MoBo for this build, but I found that there are problems with memory compatibility, especially when using 4 GB memory (or using the yellow memory slots). However, all the reviews/forum posts that say this are pretty old, and I couldn't find anything new telling me whether the problems still exist or if they have been solved with a BIOS update.

Could someone please tell me if the memory listed above will work properly with this board? Does the support the memory remap feature? What incompatibility problems could I possibly face when using this board?

Please reply as soon as possible, as I am sitting around with all the components except the board:(.

P.S. Link to the memory I have: [L=http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16820145034]http://www.newegg.com /Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145034[/L]

I don't intend to overclock

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I have run both 2 x 2gb and 4 x 1gb setups in this board without issue. If there were any slot issues I think they have been resolved with bios updates. So, just flash the most recent bios and you should be fine.

EternalAlpha

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
@XMSYellowbeard: does the NB getting too hot when using all for RAM slots happen only with this board, or other boards too?

Please give the details of the RAM you have run on this board, along with info on the timings you ran it on, and if you have overclocked.

I had posted a similar query on the anandtech forums, and got the reply that putting RAM sticks in the yellow slots can harm the memory sticks. Is the validated/common?

@Maziar: I have read a lot of review, but most that talk about RAM problems are pretty old, so I have no way of knowing if BIOS updates have solved them or not.

Could anyone let me know about any alternate board for a similar price, that offer similar performance?