Home built computer problems

HeeRoMaKi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I am haveing some serious problems and new to this fourm and couldn't figure out where to post this so hopefully someone can help...

Alright here goes this is going to be long but me(not knowing to much about computer hardware), and my friends who do build their own computers so mostly know what their talking about but..we are all at a loss..so here goes.

My computer randomly shuts off, not freezing, not rebooting, shutting itself down during start up, randomly at desktop.. anytime.. random can't find a pattern besides the new issue that it turns off while trying to play a game. Now my problem used to be just that I had a hard time turning the computer on. To get my computer to turn on, i have to hold in the reset button to keep the power flowing long enough the computer will ATTEMPT to boot up, sometimes this takes quite a few trys but it used to be, when i got it running, it would stay on. The change now is that when I boot up a game, it's a shutdown. so I can no longer play games at all, because the pc shuts itself down. Now on what we have tried to fix this problem. We first, got a new power supply, but it did nothing to help so we returned it and pluged the old one back in. 450w, the one we tried, was 550w. This is a new mobo and video card (yes, the problem happened with the previous mobo and video card, same exact problem, no change) I have taken out each ram, one by one, no change, I ran memtest, got to 100% no errors. Removed the video card thinking maybe both cards were messed up, but no change. Now, this is where it gets..weird when we got to the steps of taken out the harddrives, I have two hardrives, a c drive 40gb and a d drive 60gb. When the cdrive is not pluged into the power, the computer WILL start up without the reset button being held in so we thought we figured it out.. BUT after a while the computer will still shut itself off again! When we desicoverd this, i of course, attemtped with JUST the cdrive in the computer and couldn't get it to power on without the reset button pushed in, so my cdrive hd is DEFFIENTLY making it harder. so the only progress we have made is, cdrive bad, ddrive will boot up with power button but shutoff after a while of just sitting at the mobo screen(because windows is on cdrive so we can't play around in windows) so that's what we discoverd so far. ...but what the **** else is there?! I've even swaped out ribbon cables, I unplugged both cd drives so it only ran on the ddrive, but that still shut it down, we used just 1 brand new ribbon cord, from mobo, 1 harddrive 1 cd drive...still no improvement, I even jumped the computer on by myself (used a screwdriver to connect the powerswitch pins) and it would STILL shut itself off. what else is there? anyone have an idea? and.. I'm poor and just can't buy a new computer for proably a LONG time.. so it would be a nice help if someone could tell me what the problem is causer.. i got about $70 i can use, which would be ok for a new hd but.. we don't think it's the hd's since problem still occores even though the cdrive def makes it worse/harder to turn on. so what else is there ... could a proccessor being doing this? when it shuts off, we even tried to feel around for something hot on the mobo, but even the proccessor heat sink was very cool to touch. ..please give us an idea? how can we test a proccessor besides buying a new one? ..or if anyones willing to help me out in a donation to buy me a new computer i'd love that! lol. ..so does anyone.. have an idea? also i am not overclocking ANYTHING ever.. besides the new videocard that i guess comes overclocked?
Comp specs:

Windows XP home SP2
AMD 64 processor 3200+ 2.01GHZ 1.00gb of ram
Videocard geforce 258mb 7600 GT OC
no sound card
Motherboard: MSI nforce4 standard chipset K8N Neo4-f 939 socket

xciter

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Did you check if something is overheating? Usually if it`s too warm to touch with bare hands, than it is overheating. Maybe the battery on the motherboard has run out of juice. You can easily check it with a multimeter.And if the computer is running for some period of time i don`t think it is the processor i think it is the motherboard.

HeeRoMaKi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
but this is the seocnd mother board with the same except problem, and we touched everything after a shutdown, we can't find anything even really that warm let alone hot.

HeeRoMaKi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
second motherboard* and if's its not the proccessor then.. i don't even know what it COULD be since i've tried EVERYTHING :(