Mobo with g92 upgradibility?

Magnar

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
Hello,

I am in the process of buying a new computer. I'll just get right to the point - I would like to buy a g92 GPU when they come out later this year. I have heard rumours that they are PCI-Express 2 - to me this doesn't make much sense to release video cards that are tailored exclusively to motherboards released 1-2 month earlier. If anything wouldn't they have models that would appeal to 95% of the consumers as opposed to a "you have to have X series motherboards to use this product".

So is it likely, that if I buy a new mobo now say for example a Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 that I will still be able to use one of these GPUS. Or will I have to buy a new mobo?

I would think that they may be optimized for PCIe2 but would still work on PCIe with maybe a small performance hit (although its debatable if the bandwidth is even close to being capped out ATM).

Anyways, is it likely that I will be able to throw a G92 into my potential new right or do I have to wait for X38 mobos?

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
The g92 isn't a real card yet. So, lets just assume it's a high-end Next-Gen nVidia card. (Even IF that is the correct name).
Anyway, "IF" it's out, and "IF" it's PCI-Express 2, I don't see any trouble.
Just because PCIe-v2 is backward compatible.
Also, IF the g92 uses uses more bandwidth, I don't expect any performance hit because the PCIe16 still isn't fully utilized.

Even so, the X38 will be much more future-proof if you can wait that long for it. The X38 is also more CPU/RAM future-proof (which may be more important later)
Also, I expect most message forum members will advise you to invest in in a good high-end PSU to accomidate your high-end video card.