My Hard drive is Malfunctioning! Help!

zeek987

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
I just built a new computer for video editing, was about to transfer over about 150 gb of video from a 2 year old external hard drive to my new 500 gb internal drive....and ..well...nada, just some seeking noises!!!

The old hard drive is a seagate 7200.8 300 GB Ultra ATA drive put into a Acomdata usb+firewire enclosure. Its about 2 .2 years old now. It had worked flawlessly on several computers for that entire time. BUT now I can't get to the files!

I have tried removing the drive from the case and loading it in a comp with an IDE cable and the results are exactly the same as if it were in the enclosure. (I also checked another IDE drive in the enclosure to be sure it still works, and it does.)

So no matter what computer or with what cable (usb/firewire/ide) I connect the drive with, when I try to go to my computer/ disk management / "testdisk" / simply turn on the computer with it connect via IDE cable ---- it will cause my system to hang and freezes up whatever window is open. I hear the drive do a series of three seeking noises (no scratching noise, it seems to sound found other than the fact that it constantly repeats the seeking). The External enclosure 'activity' indicator light flashes as well.

One time I did get the drive to be seen in "Disk Management" but it quickly froze up whene I tried to access the disk. I'm having no luck with anything I have tried so far.

Any tips, or ideas as to what might be wrong?
I would really appreciate any help! thanks!

------
Ah, just while typing this, (after letting the drive try to work for nearly an hour) it showed up in my computer, but its like it is still "loading" or "connecting" b/c I still can't get to the files....still need help here.

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Since it's an IDE drive, did you make sure the jumper was set correctly? Set to slave if there was already a master unit on the cable or set to master if nothing was on the cable?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

If nothing else is on the cable when installed internally, may need to be set to Cable Select. Also, download the diagnostic/repair software from Seagate and run it.