Sign in with
Your question

IP addresses and Privacy!!!

Last response: in Networking
May 2, 2008 12:21:30 AM

We all know that IP addresses are logged by all websites?? Can anybody tell whether there is any software / site that can detect whether a website is logging your IP or not??

More about : addresses privacy

May 2, 2008 12:41:14 AM

You're not going to get very far on the internet if you request information and don't tell the other machine where to put it. It's not a big deal. You can use some firewalls to mask it, proxy servers work well here, too.
And try not to double post, please. It's rather annoying and extra work for no reason.
May 2, 2008 12:48:29 AM

i could not understand the question....please explain
Related resources
May 2, 2008 1:03:45 AM

sorry about the double posting. Thanx for the help. Would like to know more very much about proxy servers.
But could you please answer my first question as well about any software / site that can help me find whether a particular site is logging my IP address or not??
May 2, 2008 1:05:59 AM

I use Tor. You can download it here:
http://www.torproject.org/
it has a Windows version and 90% of the Linux distros already come with it automatically installed. Be warned that using proxy is VERY VERY SLOW. Also if you are planing on doing any thing ILLEGAL I STRONGLY CONDEMN YOUR WORK.
May 2, 2008 1:17:05 AM

thanx for the info on the proxy...went to the TOR website.....is quite interesting....I am doing nuthing illegal....read a lot of news recently about how websites are logging IP addresses of users without their knowledge
Thanx for the info....but AM NOT INTENDING TO USE TOR OR ANY PROXY

PLEASE ANSWER MY FIRST QUESTION AS WELL IF YOU CAN
is there any way to tell with the help of a software/ site whether a specific website is keeping track of you or logging your IP
May 2, 2008 2:15:46 AM

It's not the IP that one needs to worry about, it's the MAC address. A proper firewall will do NAT, and also not pass MAC addresses. Most ISP's use DHCP, further obfuscating your IP. However, if your not doing anything illegal, what is really the question? Tracking software? Don't allow cookies. Clean those cookies that you already have. Manually enter your username / password for every website you visit, never click the 'remember me on this PC' box. Use good AV, good firewalls, (again) and good anti-spyware / anti-adaware types of programs.
May 2, 2008 12:32:20 PM

Thanx for all the info guys....I think I got too hyped up when I came across some news articles on IP addresses and privacy....
Anyways it does mean that all websites do collect IP addresses. So should not we take IP address as personal info like our phone number. Thats what many forum articles say.
May 2, 2008 12:50:50 PM

Your IP address is not permanent.
It may change every day.

The IP that your system has today may be owned by someone else tomorrow.

The IP Address logged often is not even the one from your computer, but is one shared by a host of people. If you were at a college, every single time anyone visited a website, it may always show the same one IP address.

If you are worried about your address being logged, use a proxy.
May 2, 2008 1:03:43 PM

ZENMASTER

You said

The IP Address logged often is not even the one from your computer, but is one shared by a host of people. If you were at a college, every single time anyone visited a website, it may always show the same one IP address.

Can you please explain more on that....i would also like to know like if there is a host for many people in my college and my home as well...and so the hosts in both these places have just a common address...is that what you mean to say
May 2, 2008 1:06:10 PM

You need a basic fundamental understanding of TCP/IP, ISO layers, protocols, and basic networking to get what we're saying.

In other words... google dude.
May 2, 2008 1:18:11 PM

This is called NAT (Network Address Translation). It exists so a group of devices can share a limited amount of IP adresses. To keep the concept simple, it works a bit like a proxy: the NAT device request the information for you and forward the answer back; this is how Home Routers work.

But as boonality said, you need fundamental networking notions you probably lack. This wikipedia article would be a good start, but you will have to get complementary information to really understand how the internet works.

In short: an IP is not an ID, but, with the help of your ISP, they could trace the address back to you.

If you want an analogy: an IP would be like the license plate for a rented car; if you do anything stupid with the car, the plate # could be traced to you through the rental agency lease records.
May 2, 2008 1:22:39 PM

I think you get the point that some idiot journalist at a newspaper filled your head with some BS. The news does this a lot. Its called over sensationalizing. They do this to garner as much viewership as possible to make their bosses pockets fat. As the saying goes "never believe what you see on TV." This goes for newspapers and the media in general.

You did the right thing. You had a tech question and you went to a tech website to get the answer. It seems like you aren't a very tech savvy person so I will simply say that without proper schooling or lots of hours going over this subject its better off left said that you don't have a problem worth worrying about.

Just remember the next time someone says something like this to you, the first question you should ask is what is their background. If they don't have a background in the subject they are spouting off about then its best to take their theory as just that, a baseless theory.
May 5, 2008 1:55:15 PM

For those who wonder how to tell if they can "see" your IP:

1.) Find out your real IP, at cmd prompt (DOS) Enter "ipconfig" and you get something like:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : isco.purdue.edu
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

for a more detailed description hit:
http://whatismyipaddress.com/staticpages/index.php/how-...

2.) Go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ which tells you what the outside world see's when you send out an http packet.

You can google "MY IP Address" and get hoards of other information. Be sure and use a well protected computer when surfing the net and going to any of these sites. There are a lot of bad guys out there...
!