Never done this before...so yeah.

Hi, nub building for the first time here. I was planning to build a gaming rig for under $1100. My computer savvyness is rather low, I've only swapped video cards and ram before. I already have a 20" acer and kb/mouse. I've been reading the forums and following Sharky Extreme's guide http://www.sharkyextreme.com/guides/MVGSBG/article.php/3678701 and was told/planning to upgrade the video card to a 8800 gts 320, the cpu to an e6600, the motherboard from p965 to p35, and I guess, subsequently the case (450W not enough?). I plan to overclock the gts and the e6600, but I don't know if or how that affects power consumption. Could someone help modify the list with recommended parts (newegg, zipzoom, whatever) - when I look at something like http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboards/intel_p35.htm, I have no idea which part to choose. Any recommendations on the upgrades or flaws in the design also welcome. Thanks much!
4 answers Last reply
More about never before yeah
  1. Centurion 5 case $50
    Q6600 $273 (mwave.com)
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R $130
    2GB Patriot DDR2800 $74
    Corsair 520HX $99 (buy.com)
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro $22 (directron.com)
    Seagate 320GB $80
    EVGA 8800 640MB $350

Total: $1078 after $75 rebate.
  2. Dior said:
    Centurion 5 case $50
    Q6600 $273 (mwave.com)
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R $130
    2GB Patriot DDR2800 $74
    Corsair 520HX $99 (buy.com)
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro $22 (directron.com)
    Seagate 320GB $80
    EVGA 8800 640MB $350

Total: $1078 after $75 rebate.

Not bad, but I would switch the CPU to an e6420 (OCs very well), or if you arent oCing, a e6850 for around $275
    I wouldnt choose a P35 mobo, as they are rather new, and pricey and dont offer the best bang for the buck. For that price I would get a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe or an Intel BadAxe 2.
    Lower-priced choices are the MSI P6N SLI, and the Gigabyte GA965PDS3, as well as other Gigabyte and ASUS P965 and 650i SLI boards.

Cases are a personal preference, but the CM Centurion 5 is a little weak in terms of airflow for that setup. I would go for a case w/ at least two 120mm fans. A budget option is the CM Centurion 534 for the same price.

If he is running a 20" LCD, he might want to go for a 320mb GTS, as that res is borderline. The HSF, PSU, and HD are very very good choices...

Dont forget a SATA DVD Burner. SONY or SAMSUNG will do, but my personal preference is Lite-On.

Good LucK!
  3. Thanks for your responses! I don't think I'll need to go with a quad core at this point...I know about the price drop, but it still doesn't seem necessary for a value gaming system.

I have read the only difference between the e6420 and e6600 is the mulitplier (for overclocking?) and getting the 6420 to reach 3.X area just produces more heat. Will I still need a 3rd party cooler (such as Artic Freezer) for the cpu if I plan to overclock it this way? Or will a case with better airflow (such as the recommended Centurion 534 w/2 fans) and intel's factory fan/heatsink be sufficient?

Another question, if I chose the GA-P35-DS3R board instead of the GA-965-PDS3, will I be achieving any noticeable improvement in performance either in gaming or applications? Again, thanks for your help.
  4. You will be able to OC on the stock cooler, but you can achieve better results with after market heatsinks... If you are going to OC get an aftermarket heatsink.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Graphics Cards Systems Product