Extreme FSB 2: The Quad-Core Advantage?

Spanki

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Nice article, but if I had my druthers...

- I would have liked to see the G0 Q6600 (priced within range of mere mortals) vs. the (similarly priced and same 9x multi) E6850

- There should have been some mention (and testing) of temperature differences.

...clock-for-clock, the quad is going to run hotter, potentially requiring a higher-dollar investment in cooling solution, so that needs to be factored in to the average user's buying decision as well (ie. the folks out here in the real world who don't get free high end water cooling setups).

Losus_Deliosus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Lucky ah heck, getting over 400Mhz fsb with the QX6850. Got my QX6850 on a Striker Extreme and I'm lucking if I can get the fsb stable over 350Mhz. I had to push my multiplier up to 11 to get near 4Ghz.

funnyvlad

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Yeah, it must be a huge difference in gaming experience having 310fps instead of 241 in F.E.A.R??? I can not understand why they didn´t test the gaming applications at least on 1600x1200. Who play games on 1024x768 with a Gf 8800gtx? Hands up?

lghtmup98

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
They were looking at processor performance. By cranking the resolution, they would have been graphics card limited instead of processor limited.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

E6850 - $290, Q6600 - $290 (check)
2 cores , 4 cores (check)
Overclock easily both (check)

Winner Q6600.

If you want to argue about 4fps at anything over 200fps...., get a life.

pifive

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
I wish they would have done the Q6600 instead of the extreme. Anyway, It give me a clearer picture of my old dilemma.

Thanks TH !

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
They talk a lot about "stable" overclocks, but I wonder, just how hot are these suckers running? They never actually show the core temps for their quads. lol they're probably around 80-90 degrees C. Whether it is stable or not, it wont be forever at that temperature. And if any little thing goes wrong with your setup, there is no tolerance for it and you could be out an awful lot of money. Like that bridge in minneapolis...

Seriously, you people thinking about buying a Q6600 to overclock it, you better understand that you will be pushing some seriously high temperatures inside the cores, even at stock speeds. Under full load, my cpu temp sensor reads only 49C, but my core temps are up over 68C, at stock speeds. At 3GHz under full load, my cpu temp sensor reads 54C but my core temps are up around 85C. That's scary hot! I can't imagine it lasting very long at those temps. But what should be of greater concern is the sheer number of times the CPU will be forced to run that hot, and then relatively cooler when idling, then super hot again, then cool, etc. All I know is I'm not using my cpu to find out how many times it can take that before it breaks. That's what Tom's hardware is for! They need to get on it!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Upper 20's to low 30's, according to BIOS.

Losus_Deliosus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
Even with about $300 worth of custom watercooling parts with my watercooling system I dare not go above 3.8Ghz with my QX6850 as I'm already tapping 70C on the hottest core. (temps from Core Temp)

P.S. Anyone know the reason why the Core 2 Quads might have Core Temp temperatures separated almost exactly 3C from each other, such as core 0 = 40C, core 1 = 43C, core 2 = 46C, core 3 = 49C, under both all-cores idle and all-cores loaded situations?

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I guess this may be a little beyond the scope of the article, but perhaps the test could be repeated using a different type of cooling technology. Swiftech makes great gear, no question, but I'm thinking a Mach II GT phase change cooler could yield better CPU overclocks.

Also, a G0 Q6600 needs to be included in the test.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I think this was a good review and another on kinda the same thing using parts under $400 overclocked on a price/performance ratio. Would be nice!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
THG would have used an E6600 G0 stepping had it been available a few weeks back when the article was planned. Back then E6600 G0's were just starting to show up and nobody would guarantee what you'd get, not eve Intel.

Link649

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Wait, are you kidding me? You get a top end C2D and C2Q, max overclock them with watercooling, and the games you choose to benchmark are F.E.A.R, CoD2, and Quake4? I've heard the same arguement over and over again with dual vs. quad for gaming and you made the same mistake as everyone else. You are using top end parts for 2-3 year old games.

I'm sure the gamers split between a q6600 and e6750 aren't thinking about if they can reach 300 FPS in CoD2. They are looking to the future with games that are *supposedly* going to run faster and with more features using a quad core over dual core. Granted it is impossible to benchmark a Half-Life2 ep:2 or Crysis until the fall, but you could have at least used games like Supreme Commander, Call of Juarez, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. which are rumored to run better on a quad core.

Personally I am going with a q6600 g0 over any of the dual core. I find it dissapointing that I seem to remember reading interviews on Tom's Hardware with game developers talking about the benefits of quad core in so many different aspects other than FPS. Yet you guys are still chanting about dual core over quad core for gaming. Seriously, is anyone going to be able to tell 150FPS vs. 300 FPS? You prob could have got near the same performance from an overclocked e4400 with those games. If you're going to use bleeding edge PC parts, what exactly is the reason for not using bleeding edge games? How about an updated article with some better gaming comparisons please.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Me I am waiting for that 8 core cpu. Hmmmm if adding two cores gives you an extra 38% improvement overall then an extra 4 cores should give you an extra 76% increase over a quad core. Quad core.......ha........you will be history soon enough...........

Link649

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006

Sounds like a great idea, just send me a bunch of free parts to overclock and benchmark with, and i'll at least have the common sense not to benchmark old games that are single threaded (or take advantage of only 2 cores at most) when im doing a comparison between quad vs. dual for gaming. Then after I get results that even my parents could have predicted (you mean both processors performed the same on games that haven't implemented higher than dual core optimizations? I would have never guessed!) maybe ill take a look and go back and change games, resolutions, or if nothing else just add a bunch of background programs like anti-virus or a bittorrent (to simulate real-life PC usage while playing games) and see if I can get more realistic results.

If you think I am causing trouble for no reason or just trolling, read these articles (if you haven't already) so hopefully you can understand what i'm trying to argue.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2868

http://www. incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=411&Itemid=2

When you cant turn up all the new special effects and eye candy on games being released this fall because you opted for a slightly faster dual core over a quad core (its like we are reliving the netburst days), you can blame this article for misleading you. Cheer up though, because you'll still be able to play CoD2 at 2.5-5x more FPS than your monitor will even refresh! JOY!

gardeda84

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
nice article. only have one problem with it. I am one of those who is currently telling games to go quad. Why? because new games, starting with crysis in november, with utilize the quad cores fully. its all very well saying that the e6750 is better for gaming now, but when building new rigs its the future that counts more.

another example would be alan wake, which will need quad core to fully exploit the physics their engine is able to produce (see youtube and the alan wake quad core video). granted its coming out 2008, but if your spending 1500+ dollars on a new rig you dont want it to be obsolete in 12 months time.

N.b. i said obsolete, not outdated. even a quad core bought now will be outdated in 12 months time.

gardeda84

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
sorry, i didnt read link659 messages before posting mine. link649, i agree with you mate, as you can probably tell from my last post.

Link649

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006

It's nice you're trying to be a smart*ss and everything, but we're not talking about holding out until octaquaddualtri core is released in 2021 along with the nVidia 44000GTSXHD, this is a choice between processors that are already released and have undergone dramatic price cuts making it a very opportune time to upgrade. Plus when companies like vALVE and Crytek are telling you that quad-core is going to add many enhancements to games being released in the next few months, you tend to take their word and expect great things, not just empty promises.