alieneggsac

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Hi -

I am building a gaming computer (pretty good Q6600 + 8800 GTS card + Gigabyte motherboard) but my wife :love: hates all the noise.

I need to build a quiet computer (without going to water cooling, no thanks) and I want to use a good case as a start.

I am looking at to following cases:

NZXT Hush http://www.nzxt.com/products/hush/
Antec 190 http://www.antec.com/pdf/flyers/P190_flyer.pdf

The Antec is nicely made but as a Mid-Tower it is slightly big for my needs. The NZXT is a good size but seems a bit cheap in its construction.

Any idea of other cases out there that are expecially good for noise reduction?

Also, any rec's on a 650W+ PSU that will be quiet?

Thanks!

zidane_rm_5

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
As you are going for 8800Series, those cards are HUGE, u will need a Full Tower not even a mid-tower
take a look for this LINKY and try to pick up one for your wife
and the list sorted by price from high to low

tehrobzorz

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
wtf are you on about?

do YOU even have a 8800? do YOU OWN a full tower?

the p190 will do fine as well as the p182. personally, id recommend the p182 over the p190 as the price offsets the 1200w and the bigger dimensions. the hush is okay but it just isnt the same as having SOLID 3 layer metal+ plastic + metal doors and pannels. also, the p182 is very good for cooling configs.

the p190 is 100% more roomy so go for what you want. looks or functionality? (not saying the p18x looks bad or that the hush is crap but seriously, you cant put THICKER foam in yourself and make it even more silent)

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I just purchased the antec p180b. Its worth looking into. For most its large, although I've seen much bigger.

The case itself really cuts down on noise due to all the padding in it. Throw in a seasonic 650 or 700 watt psu and you are golden. The seasonic while on makes NO audible noise. I have to put my ear to it and i can barely hear it. I actually only hear moving air, no mechanical parts. As well, the amperage is rock solid and power isn't an issue. Only problem is that you pay for it.

I have no guts in the computer (in the middle of a build right now), but from what I can hear or lack thereof, the case is quiet as can be.

I think the p190 is overkill and i have no clue how quiet the PSU's are. Having two will most likely generate some noise and I doubt the power consumption is efficient. There's 4 versions of the p180 to choose from (p180, p180b, p182, p182se) so you shouldn't have an issue finding one you like unless you want a window, then you're sol.

alieneggsac

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks guys. I had been looking at the P182, it looks like a really nice case. Thanks for the help, as I think it'll help me make the decision. You are right, the NZXT is pretty cheapy looking.

:bounce:

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Stacker-Evolution-Tower/dp/B000P4WH98/ref=pd _bbs_sr_2/002-6129358-5035266?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1185332571&s r=8-2

I would have given you the newegg link but server is down. Anyways, my stuff is custom but if i was to get an air cooled case this is the one I would get. It is a little expensive but it will allow great airflow for overclocking. You could overclock the hell out of your cpu with this case. It would be quiet too!!!!

Check er out!