shacharoren

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
hi,

i'm trying to deside what to get for my new workstation and need advise.

i want my os to run fast, including the software instalation,
than i thought of getting the seagate 36GB 15k RPM for the job,
and a friend sugested i get 2 of the seagate drives and raid 0 them for dubble the speed.
i'm getting some other storage for data so that's got nothing to do with this.

i wanted to know if it's worth my while to raid the drives or one scsi 15k will do just fine?
and if someone know of a good scsi raid controler if i do deside to go with this option?

thanks alot,

David.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
For a workstation I'd recommend SAS, which is essentially SCSI without all the jumpers and whatnot. Hmm... I'd say that for your apps and OS to run fast you'd probably want at least 2 SCSI drives, 15k rpms running in RAID 0, but make sure you have a backup. Now you probably won't get double the speed because of the laws of physics but you may get pretty close. Anyways, if you have any more questions just let me know.

Also, for a RAID controller, how many HDDs do you plan on having in this computer and what kind of setup are you going to be using for the main storage drives?

shacharoren

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
well, i was planning on 2 (Seagate ST336754LW SCSI 15K RPM 36GB) in raid 0 for OS and apps. and 2 ( Western Digital WD3200YS 7200RPM ) for main storage also in raid 0. meanning 4 drives.
now i read that the asus extreme striker has 2 raid controlers onboard, will i be able to raid the 2 scsi and the 2 sata2 only with the board or will i need a saparate controler?
by the way, i'm not affraid of data lose, cause anyway if i store my date on one big drive and something goes wrong i'll lose all info anyway, and todays drives are prety reliable.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Hmm... for that mobo you don't have a SCSI controller from what I know. If you're planning on those SCSI's you'll need to get a seperate controller. Now I don't know if you're planning on PCI or PCIe for the controller but you'll definitely need it.