Mounting an external dual / triple radiator for watercooling

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Hi,
I just ordered a Swiftech H2O-220 Ultra Apex watercooling kit that I should receive in few days. I'm really noob in watercooling, I never saw a it in real...

I read so much about it. Now I'm wondering if that kit with the included PCI pass through bracket permits passing the tubes without having to perforate my case back?

Also, one interesting question: should I remove my 120mm fan in the back of the case? It will push hot air from inside the case on the radiator. Won't it add more heat on the radiator?

I ordered the kit, and now I'm wondering if I even can mount it :cry:
I have a large case (thermaltake Shark) with ready holes for 3/8 id mounting (my kit should be 1/2 id I think)

Many thanks for any suggestion

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
You'll be able to mount the rad with the radbox assembly that comes with it. However, I am not aware of any PCI pass-thru kit that comes with the Ultra Apex. PCI pass-thru kits are for 1/4 ID and 3/8ID tubing. Your kit is designed around 1/2ID tubing which is too large for PCI slots.

As for the fan - the 120mm fan setup in the back of your case is where the radbox will be mounted. Any fan you have there (with the exception of one you might mount on the radbox) is going to meet resistance because the radbox is going to effectively close that area off.

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
My bad,

You seem to say that I will have to remove my rear fan.

How should I cool my incase from the heat generated from my GPU, motherboard and 3 harddrives in that case?

My case has only one rear exaust fan. It has two front 120mm intake fans though. I'm not sure that I can turn them to pull air outside my case. The side panel is open though (holes)

In my thoughts, most cases are built as mine. So how do you guys cool your case after mounting your radiator?
Many thanks for thehelp

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Modding.....

I like your case, it's quite large and has alot of room for modding and such. One thing you could definitely do to help is put a blowhole for an additional fan in the top of the case. You could still keep the fan there but it will be meeting some resistance (concerning airflow) by the radbox assembly. Also, there are "slot" exhaust fans you could purchase that go in the empty slots in the back of the case. It would be nice if you could find some way to add a fan on that sidepanel as well.

Your case is such that it might even be possible to put a dual 120mm rad at the top - provided you cut blowholes for the fans. There are quite a few possiblities at your hands here...

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I understand...

The motherboard shouldn't heat much. The reservoir inside the case is my preoccupation. Maybe I'll try to cool it somehow...

I ordered the WC kit to cool my Q6600 B3 stepping. It is rock stable at 3GHz 1.30 vcore (1.288 real on modded P5B deluxe).
I can memtest stable at 3.6GHz 1.35 vcore, but it is too hot and unstable.

When the kit aarives, I'll mount it as open case test setup. If I can reach the moon, and closing the case limits me, I'll try to mod the case. It is nice looking and I hate the idea of the holes, but why not if needed.
The side panel is what I was thinking at too...

I'll post my build pics when done

Thank you again for your help

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
The only fast rule about reservoir placement that you need concern yourself with is that you should always place it at a higher level than your pump. Pumps that are made for cooling solutions have most of their power in "pushing" water through the loops and have very little "sucking" power. That is why they rely on gravity to feed them.

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Great, many thanks, didn't know about that
WC isn't that evident though...
I'll feed back when the kit arrives. Tracking shows it is at customs

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Well, I have all parts
Only missing the LGA 775 backplate, it should arrive in few days...

I have one more question:
The radbox/dual rad came in a push fashion
That is the fans are between the case and the rad, suck air from the back side of the case and push it towards the rear through the rad.

I fear the hot air coming from inside the case (through the empty 120 mm rear case hole) will decrease the rad performance. I have two other ideas:

1- Pull method, keeping the fans between the rad and the case: fresh air will be pulled from the rear, go through the rad and pushed towards my case (I will add a side panel fan for cooling my case)

2- Push manner: the fans are mounted behing the rad, suck fresh air, push it on the rad then on the case rear

What do you think? Should I go through the hassle of changing the default way the fans came bundled for one of my two suggestions?

Many thanks again for all your support

jonny_ftm

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
So simple, didn't even think at it :)
I'll follow your idea and install a side panel fan, it should be done without even modifying that side panel, just some modified screws.
Thank you for your great help