Sign in with
Your question

Random lock ups with new Raptor?

Last response: in Storage
August 30, 2007 12:22:25 AM

Ok, I just bought and installed a Raptor, and put all my info from my old HDD onto it. I've been using, and everything's been pretty fine. But all of the sudden today I've been getting these weird random lock ups that have never happened before. I'll be surfing the net and listening itunes at the same time, when the pc will just lock up and the music will stop and all I'll hear is this sound like an alarm going off. After a second or two, everything goes back to normal. Could this mean I have a faulty Raptor?

Also, in Event Viewer, I get this error message at the time of the glitch:"The device /Device/scsi/Jraid1/, did not respond within the timeout period." What does that mean? I have no raid configurations, so I have no idea why Event Viewer said that. What should I do? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

More about : random lock ups raptor

August 30, 2007 12:50:51 AM

i would run western digitals data lifeguard tools, to see if it can find anything wrong with the raptor, if it does find something, rmaing is pretty easy.

its also possible that your psu simply might not be enough, tbh... thats what first occurred to me anyhow, usually random lockups are a result of insufficient power (insufficient amperages primarily), but just to be fairly sure, go here: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.js... and input all your system specs, and itll give a rough estimate of what you need, if you infact dont have enough power. the system usually just freezes as a result, needing a restart... but, youre not needing to restart.

edit: i had heard before about raptors having an alarm go off when something is wrong with them. but, again, just to be sure, run western digitals data lifeguard tools, and even a few other diagnostic utilities if you can, from seagate and such

if you have any other hdds, be sure to back up your data on to them asap, its always good to have at least one backup, 2 or more if possible.
August 30, 2007 1:16:51 AM

According to that program, my psu has 100 watts to spare. What else? As I've been surfing the net, I turned itunes off, and it hasn't happened anymore. It must have something to do with itunes. hmmm, any other suggestions?

On another note, when I got the Raptor, I just copied all the data from my old Caviar onto it, which was about 80-90 gigabytes. Was that a mistake? Because I'm getting boot times of 1 minute, and if I read correctly, the Raptor should be a lot faster than that.

I'm trying to get Windows to play itunes and open music and files from just the Caviar, while I keep all my games and the OS solely on the Raptor. But I can't figure out how to do that. Windows keeps reading everything from the Raptor, seeing that they are now identical. Any tips on that also? Thanks much
Related resources
August 30, 2007 1:32:20 AM

well, assuming the psu amperages are all and well on its rails, then the psu is not an issue.

as far as data storage on a raptor, it should primarily only be used as an OS and application hdd, with the rest of your media stored on a 7200. media would just be taking up space otherwise

you should just be able to configure itunes' preferences to read only from the 7200, and delete the records it has of the media on the raptor, without actually deleting the files.

the beeping and intermittant freezing of your system is the only thing that has me alarmed, so i would still run western digitals diagnostic utilities to find out if the drive is bad.
August 30, 2007 1:38:38 AM

downloading and installing now, but the steps are going to assume you have the latest version, 7.3.2.6.

few more minutes...

as far as boot times go, assuming youre meaning from the time you press the power button to the time the desktop is finished loading, its going to heavily depend on what hardware you have installed, or enabled, on what hardware needs to be initialized during boot up, on which OS youre running, if youve defragged in awhile, if theres anything unnecessary running on your system, etc... and then finally the actual speed of the hdd, which may or may not make a large difference in boot times, even if the hdd itself is fast.
August 30, 2007 1:49:18 AM

I'm running XP Home, I defragged yesterday, the Raptor is 10,000 rpms, my system is in my sig, I have startup services to a minimum except for nod32 and spysweeper.

And yes, from power on to finished loading is what I meant.
August 30, 2007 1:55:30 AM

i would try booting in safe mode to see if it boots much faster, that way youre only booting from the bare minimum.

if it doesnt boot much faster, then the raptor itself may have a problem, as was addressed... but if it does boot a lot faster in safe mode, then youve got a software/driver based problem.

typically a raptor should only take about 30-40 seconds or so, give or take on your motherboards integrated hardware and post sequences and such, and everything else between that and your desktop, your HAL basically, which the hdd itself wont be able to speed up
August 30, 2007 2:03:51 AM

as far as itunes, CTRL + A to select your whole library, right click, delete, tell it to remove songs from itunes library, but to physically keep the songs where they are. itll ask about your ipod if you have one, warning your music will be deleted from it when its resynchronized.

next to go file, import folder to library, and select the desired folders on the 7200, and itll reimport whatever media is contained in the selected folder, back into itunes, but from the new selected location. importing is much faster than dragging and dropping.
August 30, 2007 4:56:55 AM

choirbass said:
i would try booting in safe mode to see if it boots much faster, that way youre only booting from the bare minimum.

if it doesnt boot much faster, then the raptor itself may have a problem, as was addressed... but if it does boot a lot faster in safe mode, then youve got a software/driver based problem.

typically a raptor should only take about 30-40 seconds or so, give or take on your motherboards integrated hardware and post sequences and such, and everything else between that and your desktop, your HAL basically, which the hdd itself wont be able to speed up

I'll try booting it in safe mode, and see what happens. When you say 30-40 seconds, is that from push button to the Windows login screen? Or till things are clickable?

August 30, 2007 5:03:27 AM

Quote:
> GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Motherboard/
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ Stock/
> ATI Radeon x1900XT 512 mb/
> 3 GB DDR2 Crucial Ballistix PC2 6400 @ 4-4-4-12/
> SATA 250 GB 7200 RPM Western Digital Caviar SE/
> Silencer 470 PC Power and Cooling PSU.

Is that correct? 3GB of DDR2?

(A motherboard cannot run in dual-channel mode with 3GB of RAM,
because dual-channel mode requires a matched pair of DIMMs.)

Also, please detail the cable connections and BIOS settings
for your Raptor and also for your WD 250GB Caviar SE.

If you're getting a timeout problem, WD
sells RAID Edition ("RE") SATA/3G HDDs
with a feature which they call
"Time Limited Error Recovery".

From the symptom you described,
it sounds as if one or the other HDD is going
into an extended error-recovery sequence,
and the controller mistakes that for a HDD
that has dropped out of a RAID array.

Hence, this error message:
"The device /Device/scsi/Jraid1/, did not respond within the timeout period."

Jraid1 <--- DID YOU CATCH THAT SUBTLETY THERE??
That clue tells me that the controller is controlled by a
RAID device driver!!

Also, the P35 chipset may default to a SATA interface speed
of 300MB/second, but the Raptor still runs at 150Mb/second:
so, look into those details to see if there is a conflict
between that Raptor and the controller's default speed setting.

Also, if your controller is set to JBOD (Just a Bunch of Disks),
it may nevertheless be configured with a RAID device driver, and
that would also explain the "timeout" message you're getting.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library
http://www.supremelaw.org/

Yes they are working in dual channel, because I have four sticks, two 512 and two 1 gig sticks. So that way it works.

What exactly do you suggest I do with all that info you gave me? How do I check all of those potential problems?
August 30, 2007 5:03:33 AM

from the power button being pressed to the time the desktop is fully usable. again, it depends greatly on your specific configuration; a really fast system may take longer to fully boot than a much slower system.

actually, i think ill time mine as it is right now, no safemode or anything. i have a WD740ADFD raptor as my os hdd, running winxp x64.

i am currently running with a wireless pci card installed right now though, and that actually prolongs desktop usage by another 10 or so seconds, since my desktop is otherwise fully loaded almost right away.

okay. just timed from power button press to fully usable desktop (all startup items loaded, then stop the timer. the login screen is bypassed by going to control userpasswords2 at the run dialog box, so you can still have a password, but not need to enter it upon initial booting), it took ~46 seconds with the wireless adapted disabled, it took just over a minute with it enabled. so just that piece of hardware significantly prolongs boot times. and tbh, the 46 second seemed slow (6 scroll bars at booting), my system is kinda bogged down with data being strewn across the hdd looking at the defrag diagram. so a reinstall may be necessary, as its been seeming like for awhile anyhow, and its usually good to do after every so often anyhow.

my sound card noticably prolongs booting too actually once its drivers are all installed, so, yeah

so, it may very well just be you need to disable unnecessary hardware in the motherboard bios, and device manager, to speed up boot times... but, thats where safemode would also come into play, to eliminate a lot of nonessential software/hardware from loading.

edit: ive reinstalled xp x64, and repartitioned the raptor to only use the first 35% (25GB), which keeps transfer rates at 87MB/s max and 80MB/s min. boot times didnt improve at all, but keeping OS performance optimal should most likely be pretty painless from now on (seek times are much more restricted now than they were before, resulting in all files being able to be accessed that much quicker). the remaining capacity i may format for storing games on and such.
August 30, 2007 6:59:21 PM

When you say these things start with the computer, are you saying they are being loaded even before I can see the desktop? Because if that's the case, I don't know how to disable them.

Also, is there a way that I can have my post stop trying to detect both hard drives, and just know that they are there. That takes 5 seconds in an of itself. It like sits there with ....'s detecting the Raptor first then the Caviar.

The only things I could think of slowing the boot are my ethernet connection and my cable card. Any other advice would be great. What were you saying about the password settings?
August 30, 2007 7:12:50 PM

for things starting with the computer, it would be system services, and items that appear on the right side of the taskbar

in order to disable things from starting in windows, you can go to the run prompt (windows key + R), and type in 'msconfig' for disabling things on windows startup, and you can also type in 'services.msc', for disabling system services you dont want enabled (be careful what you disable here, you can find instructions on whats okay to disable online)

as far as shortening post times, that can be done in the motherboard bios (hitting del, F1, F2, F10, or whichever button gets into your motherboards bios). you can change inactive pata/sata channels, so it doesnt spend time detecting drives when theres nothing to detect, disable the floppy drive if you dont have one connected, you can disable bios shadowing, disable keyboard and mouse usb support if not being used. disable onboard sound if you have an add on card, change the display adapter to pcie if its defaulting to pci. just things like that, and then save and restart.

for bypassing the login screen and still keeping a password, type in windows key + R again, then type 'control userpasswords2', itll bring up the user accounts dialog box. select the account you want to change from the list, and then uncheck the box that says 'users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'. itll then ask you to enter and then reenter the password for the selected account. youll still need to enter your password if you switch users or log off, and keeping a password will help to keep your system safer, but doing this will just make it so you dont need to enter a password when youre booting up or restarting your pc.

as far as performance in windows goes, i disable virtually all of the visuals, aside from 'show window contents while dragging' 'smooth edges of screen fonts' (font smoothing really bogs things down though, so thats optional) 'use common tasks in folders' and 'use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop', so it looks more like windows 2000 now. the pagefile should be moved to the other hdd you have, and keep the bare minimum pagefile needed on the raptor (i have mine set at 16MB pagefile on the raptor, and 3069MB pagefile on the 400GB)

enabling 'use visual styles on windows and buttons' will let it look more like windows xp again, but responsiveness is slightly bogged down with it enabled. as far as defragging, diskeeper is a much better disk deframentation program than the standard windows defrag is, standard windows defrag is more of just the bare minimum.
August 31, 2007 4:11:13 AM

Thanks for the advice, I'll get back to you after I try all this stuff. Any input on my jraid problem from the original question? I really hope I didn't get a faulty raptor, lately it seems I've been getting a faulty everything. I have to RMA my 3 gigs of 800mhz ballistix because they were giving me all these bsods. ugh....
August 31, 2007 4:25:29 AM

not too sure about the raid part tbh, other than its possibly just another name for sata (some motherboard and sata cards for instance label a single hdd as striped, effectively making it raided, so to speak, even if it is only one hdd), and that could be more or less the same situation with you, scsi/raid/sata are more or less synonymous with one another, primarily because of the controller... even if its not raided, as youre saying. which it isnt, so its sounding just like naming confusion possibly, which is no big deal then as far as that. so as far as eventviewer saying that, it 'sounds' like the the raptor was 'hung up', which might be what was causing the random pauses you were experiencing, maybe... thats all speculation though...

but what i would recommend however, is testing the raptor for faultiness... western digital has free software that you can download from their site for testing exactly that

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?swid=1

you can download their data lifeguard diagnostic utility, and test the raptor that way, they offer it for both windows and dos

as far as the ram, i would test them individually with memtest, in different memory slots even, so you can limit it down to hopefully only a single module being bad. there might be more than that, but this is a way to find out for sure. if a module is bad, it will generate errors upon testing. its a good idea to test overnight if you can, as longer is always better in this case.

edit: i would read through supremelaws recommendations again. he was just giving tips on what you could do to fix the raid problem
August 31, 2007 5:06:56 AM

Are you saying that it's not necessarily the Raptor that is causing the problem, but Windows itself?

He was helpful, but he didn't exactly tell me how to check those things. He just told me what I could do without really giving me the know how to do it. Do you know?

August 31, 2007 5:24:45 AM

well, it sounds like its more the way the hardware is configured, than any one single culprit, assuming the raptor itself doesnt have any problems, which is a good thing if it doesnt.

raptors come with something called TLER (time limited error recovery), that helps with raid problems (which may have been what that alarm you were hearing was, also, maybe), and what may possibly just be a configuration problem. if you refer to your motherboard manual, which may be downloadable as a pdf from the manufacturers site if you dont have it otherwise. you may be able to find out what you would need to change specifically, because itll most likely be outlined in the manual, but beyond that, i cant offer much.
August 31, 2007 6:35:04 AM

All you have to do is test all your hardware one by one, start with the HDD. Here try this program that checks all your hardware for errors, remmember to uncheck all hardware that you don't have (like floppy drive) or have enabled. Download Burnin Test 5.3 and let us know how it went. :)  www.passmark.com
August 31, 2007 7:24:10 AM

Will do, I'll report back with any errors and I'll run a WD diagnostic on the Raptor. Thanks :-)
September 2, 2007 3:40:33 AM

K, safe mode booted in about 20-30 seconds. Anything wrong?

But.....passmark and wd diagnostics gave the drive a pass at 100 percent load on each test. So I have no idea. Any other suggestions?

What should I do with this jraid thing?
September 2, 2007 6:09:35 AM

My boot time is between 20-30 seconds and thats fast, so we know that your Raptor is fine. Its definately either a driver or bios issue, meaning there might be a setting wrong in your bios. Also make sure that in your bios, example: in my bios for sata configuration I can set to "IDE" or "AHCI" (advanced host controller interface) and "RAID". See if changing any of those makes a difference. I believe "Vanderpool" should be on for dual boot (XP & Vista) systems.
September 3, 2007 3:49:17 AM

Thanks for the help. Are you sure that even though my Raptor passed all the tests, that it's working as it should, that it wasn't made defectively or something? I'm just pulling at straws here.....because this is really ticking me off. That and the jraid issue, why can't products just work like they're supposed to....

One thing I did notice is that it takes my post like 5 seconds or more to detect my drives, that doesn't sound too fast-or normal. It seems like it is chewing a lot of time out of my boot. Is that long?

Any other suggestions would be great, please keep them coming. I'll try those bios changes and let you know. Thanks
September 3, 2007 5:43:11 AM

yeah, without any changes to your drive detections during post, 5 seconds or so sounds about normal... a relatives C2D motherboard is the same way, i believe its an ECS board, he has all his IDE and SATA channels taken up too. on my nForce4 board (also ECS), it takes about 1 second or so, because all unoccupied channels are disabled, on both both pata and sata.

as far as the raptor, if it passed every single test you ran, it seems like its running okay then. if youre unsure, try running the same tests multiple times to remove any doubt.

yeah, finding out what you need to do to disable any raid options on your motherboards bios would be the thing to do then (and changing any jumpers if you need to). again, downloading the pdf manual from the manufacturers site will let you know exactly whats what, and give visual diagrams as an aid to follow too. if things arent 100% identical visually, you can still get a pretty good idea of what to anyhow by following it.
September 3, 2007 6:07:07 AM

I never downloaded the hard drive drivers from my mobo manufacturer. Could that be the problem? I didn't dl them because they are all raid drivers, not sata ones. I don't know if you would see anything different than I did, but maybe you can check for me, it's the Gigabyte p35c board.

What are jumpers, probably a dumb question? Would systemlord's advice about changing the sata config work you think?
September 3, 2007 6:16:34 AM

Eucharistadorer said:
I never downloaded the hard drive drivers from my mobo manufacturer. Could that be the problem? I didn't dl them because they are all raid drivers, not sata ones. I don't know if you would see anything different than I did, but maybe you can check for me, it's the Gigabyte p35c board.

What are jumpers, probably a dumb question? Would systemlord's advice about changing the sata config work you think?

i wasnt meaning to download the drivers, i was meaning to download the booklet that would tell you what to do, itll most likely be a .pdf file that you can open with adobe acrobat reader, if anything. sorry for the confusion.

but, getting the latest certified drivers is usually a good idea anyhow, as theyre usually released to correct different issues, or increase performance and such.

not really sure how i would define a jumper, but heres a definition from dictionary.com:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/jumper A removable wire or small plug whose presence or absence is used to determine some aspect of hardware configuration.

but, again, systemlords advice might coincide with the pdf manual you can download.
September 3, 2007 6:18:29 AM

So I should download the mobo raid driver, even though I don't have a raid setup? You think that'll solve the problem?

One more thing: Here's Hdtune's benchmark of my Raptor: (I have no idea how to read it)

HD Tune: WDC WD1500AHFD-00RAR Benchmark

Transfer Rate Minimum : 54.8 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Maximum : 84.9 MB/sec
Transfer Rate Average : 74.2 MB/sec
Access Time : 8.1 ms
Burst Rate : 108.4 MB/sec
CPU Usage : 4.3%

Does that look about right?

September 3, 2007 6:19:40 AM

i think you should download the booklet, before doing anything else.

edit: yep, those results look just fine :) 
September 3, 2007 6:25:22 AM

I already have my mobos manual in paper form, unless that's different.

I edited the message and put in my hdtune benchmark, I don't know if you saw it or not.
September 3, 2007 6:26:23 AM

lol, saw it after, those benchmark results are just what they should be. but, as far as the paper manual you have, i would look through it, and also download the one from gigabyte, as it might be updated to contain more than your paper version has.

edit: just saw the revision raptor you have, its an AHFD firmware revision... is that the one with the see through case? the newest one is the ADFD firmware revision, but performance is only very slightly different.
September 3, 2007 6:30:05 AM

Oh ok, I was just confused with WD digitals claim of 4.2ms seak time. Which I thought was the same as access time.

About the drivers, I new you weren't talking about them, I was just wondering what you thought of me downloading/installing Gigabyte's raid driver, if it would help me or not.

September 3, 2007 6:34:02 AM

yeah, 4.2-4.6ms for the raptor is right (8ms actual). and if you compare that to 7200 rpm hdds, manufacturers typically claim 8.9ms, but are usually around 13-16ms actual.

ohh, okay, yeah, downloading the drivers might help some. though they usually come with a 'changes made' document that says what the driver was supposed to improve or address. but, i would seriously consider looking through your manual for the bios section of your motherboard, to find out what options there are that you might be able to change.
September 3, 2007 6:37:33 AM

Ok. I should download the drivers even though they are raid and I'm not running a raid setup?
September 3, 2007 6:39:40 AM

if youre not running raid, raid drivers wont do any good.

not meaning to sound impatient, but i really cant be much help if you wont look through the manual to find out first.
September 3, 2007 6:41:11 AM

No, do not install Raid drivers, the drivers that he was referring to are the chip set drivers for the mobo. He is saying to get the manual and read it. Specifically with regards to the settings relating to your hard drives and RAID settings. You want the drives to be set for "IDE native mode" not AHCI. I have a GA-P35-DQ6 and it will detect the SATA 150 Raptor automatically. The drive is probably fine, I'm pretty sure you have one or more BIOS settings wrong.
September 3, 2007 6:42:55 AM

Oh, sorry choirbass. I was confused. I'll look through the manual and see what I can do to the bios and if that will fix it.
September 3, 2007 6:43:37 AM

its okay :) 
September 3, 2007 7:03:23 AM

Eucharistadorer said:
Oh ok, I was just confused with WD digitals claim of 4.2ms seak time. Which I thought was the same as access time.

About the drivers, I new you weren't talking about them, I was just wondering what you thought of me downloading/installing Gigabyte's raid driver, if it would help me or not.

Yes your HDD benchmarks are the same as mine, so your Raptor is performing nicely. Western Digital's claim of 4.6ms is not "average" there "minumum access times". So minimum is 4.6ms & average is 8.1ms. The only drivers for your mobo from Gigabyte would be for the bios/mobo built-in audio drivers/WiFi drivers for your wireless network if you have one. Your chipset drivers can be downloaded at Intel's website. What are you running Windows XP or Vista?

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-026488.htm
September 3, 2007 1:32:23 PM

XP Home. Now the problem seems to be happening not when itunes is just on, but anything. The computer will freeze for 1-3 seconds and then go back to normal.

That link is for intel mobos, I have a gigabtye mobo, so it won't work. Unless that was a dumb statement and they're all the same because they are made for intel cpus. Did you want me to download the sata driver or which one?
September 3, 2007 3:04:17 PM

Eucharistadorer said:
XP Home. Now the problem seems to be happening not when itunes is just on, but anything. The computer will freeze for 1-3 seconds and then go back to normal.

That link is for intel mobos, I have a gigabtye mobo, so it won't work. Unless that was a dumb statement and they're all the same because they are made for intel cpus. Did you want me to download the sata driver or which one?

No you have a Gigabyte mobo with an Intel chipset, the Intel P35 Express chipset. Gigabyte makes the board and installs whatever chipset it wants, P965, Nvidia's 680i, 975X and P35. I have an Asus P5B Deluxe which uses Intel's P965 chipset and Gigabyte has their own version of the 965 chipset, but in the end there all the same chipsets. Its only the bios updates that you need to get from Gigabyte.

I need to know which southbridge version you have ICH9R OR ICH9 chipset. you can also find out which chipset you have by looking at your mobo retail box that your mobo came in. If you don't have the box anymore then this program will tell you which one you have.>> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=861&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go%21
September 3, 2007 5:36:01 PM

All the identifier says is this:

Detected Chipset: Intel(R) G33 Express Chipset

Chipset Components

Memory Controller:Intel(R) 82G33 Memory Controller Hub

I/O Controller: Failed to identify your ICH

Integrated Graphics: Not Detected or Disabled

Also, my mobo box doesn't indicate in plain sight, but I'll double check it more clearly again and get back to you.

September 3, 2007 6:35:35 PM

The P35 is an Intel chipset so they are the right drivers. I don't think it's a mobo driver problem. I assume you checked the BIOS for the proper settings. If you cloned the old drive then save any pertinent data to the old drive and do a fresh install, I'll bet your problems go away. At this point you should probably reload the OS anyway.
September 3, 2007 6:38:58 PM

Eucharistadorer said:
All the identifier says is this:

Detected Chipset: Intel(R) G33 Express Chipset
Something is amiss the board should have a P35 chipset. Does it have on board graphics?

Intel is calling my chipset a g33 as well. That is odd because as I said I have GA-p35-DQ6 mobo. However, like I said, I don't believe it is a mobo driver problem.
September 3, 2007 9:33:32 PM

No, I don't have integrated graphics.

I really don't want to do a fresh install, because oddly enough, I already tried it on the Raptor. And Windows update wouldn't work, so I couldn't get sp2. Due to that, I said f it and cloned the old drive onto the Raptor. I wasn't in the mood for the hassle.

Any other suggestions? Someone told me that the cable WD gave me with the Raptor could be faulty.
September 3, 2007 10:16:18 PM

It is possible but I doubt it. Why wouldn't windows update work? They wouldn't authenticate the copy? Is it OEM or a full copy?
September 3, 2007 10:25:05 PM

The copy authenticicated, but for some reason, it wouldn't update.
September 4, 2007 2:52:24 AM

Tell me if this sounds feasible or not.

I was just thinking of something that might be why I'm get a timeout and the drive is freezing(almost like it's confused). I was reading in my mobo manual that you can either set the drives mode in the bios to disable(defaults to pata), ahci and raid. So I'm thinking because ahci enables native command queuing, and that's something the Raptor utilizes, that that's why I'm experiencing a timeout. Because the drive is not able to use it's native command queuing feature.

Is that a dumb assumption, or is it possible?
September 4, 2007 4:13:31 AM

I was screwing around with my settings trying to get better performance by enabling AHCI, it was messy. Stick with disabled and SATA set to native mode. That is probably your problem. Also, the NCQ is not necessarily faster depending on your usage type.
September 4, 2007 4:35:38 AM

Set sata to native in the bios? That would be the pata for my board. It's kind of dumb.

Another weird thing, sandra just benched my drive at 5400 rpms average. Wtf??!!! That's half the drives supposed spin speed. Could it be wrong?
September 4, 2007 5:07:24 AM

Eucharistadorer said:
Set sata to native in the bios? That would be the pata for my board. It's kind of dumb.

Another weird thing, sandra just benched my drive at 5400 rpms average. Wtf??!!! That's half the drives supposed spin speed. Could it be wrong?

Thats because the HDD is not always spinning at 10k, maybe it idles at 5400rpm's. Why did you say, "that would be the pata for my board?? Doesn't your Rator have a sata connector?
!