Q6600 Quad Core On Vita Or Pro?

Tyco

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
I am building a high end system and I am worried about which OS I should use. In the past I have had problems with Vista and getting all the parts to work well together, but I want something that will take full advantage of the hardware like a 64bit version of Vista Ultimate.

I am going to be using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2 x GeForce 8800GTX running on SLI using an ASUS Striker board, along with two 10,000 RPM cheetah scuzzy drives with sata adapters.

If you where using this set-up, what OS would you recommend? Keeping in mind that I will be using 4Gigs of memory which xp Pro can support. I would like to use x64 ultimate but I don't really trust it until a service pack or two comes out. I am on a $6,000 budget so price is not really a problem.

Thanks.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Unless you already own the SCSI drives, you might want to look at Serial Attached SCSI (SAS). SAS is backward compatible with SATA, they use the same connectors. So you'd save some money since you wouldn't need adaptors. Again, something to look into if you haven't bought the drives yet.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Definitely do. 10K SCSI drives have firmware that is designed for server usage and as a a result they do not perform will for typical desktop tasks.

I wouldn't jump on the Vista bandwagon until well after SP1 is out. If you want a 64bit OS, WinXP 64 Pro is very stable with the major manufacturers offering all the necessary drivers. I recommend WinXP 64 pro.