Have i damaged my hardware with my OC?

Flasher

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
Hello,

I purchased a new Inno3D 320mb 8800GTS last week and as soon as i put it in i got what is referred to as 'artifacts' strange black pixels in games. No problems in 3dmark05 and 06. Have i fried my new 8800gts? I know that my warranty is void as i have overclocked my system.

Core 3 duo E6300 @ 3.0ghz 7*430

I was under the impression that if you lock your pcie@100mhz overclocking can't damage your PCIE card. I tried the usual uninstalling video drivers and updating etc. but still no joy.

I also get blue screen nv4_disp errors in some games. Now the PSU is not an issue as it is quality (antec 3x18a rails) and i have restored my system to stock settings and still have crashes/artifacts.

What other components can be damaged by overclocking related to graphics?

I memtested my memory for over 14 hrs and found no problems.

Any ideas?

*i will also add that i tested my system with another known good 8800gts from another system with my system at standard settings as to ensure that one didnt get fried too and i dont get the artifacts but still get the BSOD and random restarts. Both of the video cards run at around 61deg idle so no overheating issues there.

Thankyou.

anexX

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
I would try a full cmos-clear by taking the bios-battery out for 2 mins, after replace, and then check if both of the graphics cards and anything else works with the basic settings provided.

If doesnt, and the random BSOD`s still occur, it may really be that something got damaged, which can be:

1. One of your DDR-Ram Modules malfunctions, try testing them in single condition.

2. Your PCI x16 slot itself malfunctions. (i know that sounds far away, but isnt ..had this myself already and luckily got an rma-board ^^)

3. You should also test your new videocard on another system, if it works fine there, you know in any way that the prob isnt the cards, but your system.

Good luck.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Any BSOD I have ever recieved has been from a RAM/CPU overclock, remove the OC just to see if you still get BSOD, If youre getting artifacts at stock speeds on an 8800 I can imagine it should be RMAD. Good luck

Flasher

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
Hey,

I'm not being rude here but in my first post i did mention:

-i tried to remove the overclock hence the 'stock settings'
-My Psu was also mentioned and is also in my sig Antec 550w 3x18a rails
-i also mentioned i memtested my RAM for 14 hours both together and then individual sticks with no problems

Flasher

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
I just basically wanted to know if it is possible to damage a PCIE video card in an overclocked system with PCIE locked at 100mhz

I also wanted to know which components relating to graphics could be damaged by overclocking, ie. if you damage your FSB can that generate problems that only appear in 3d gaming and nowhere else?

Thanks.

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
I'm highly doubting you did damage to you vid card from an overclock.....That kind of hardware will go into shutdown mode ( BSOD ) before any damage can be done. I.E. If I use ATI Tool and jack the Core clock of my 8800 to 700Mhz and hit 'apply' you better beleive my computer is restarting that very second. It won't even allow itself to be damaged. I see in your post that you state 'as soon as i put it in i got what is referred to as 'artifacts' ' Does this mean that you never overclocked it to begin with ? If so your warranty is not void, RMA it. Good Luck

vonwombat

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
It's unlikely that an overclock on the CPU would damage your video card, it probably arrived faulty. Try to send it back.

Flasher

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
Well i'm fed up with these noobs. I dropped my pc off at a pc tech department 3 weeks ago and they have hardly made any progress. All they did was a lousy memtest and verified that the Video card was not faulty. I have no idea what could be the problem, an educated guess would point to possibly a faulty PSU but they have not tested it yet, i'm so pissed at them right now.

No i never oc'd my video card, apparently it's not the card that's the problem.