no display or bad display, please hlep...

93ta

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
had been running my pc w/ onboard graphics forever, a couple months ago i put a cheap fx5200 card in it. at that time i had an issue when i first installed the card. even though single monitor was selected it kept spanning the screen between the vga port on the fx5200 and the vga port on the mob. i was able to get it to stop by disabling the onboard graphics in device manager. all was fine after this. i did however always have a picture of 2 monitors in both the display settings in control panel and the nvidia control panel, which i always assumed was cus the card had two vga ports.

yesterday i got a new monitor. hooked it up, installed th driver that came w/ it and magictune. i briefly had both monitors hooked up to the fx5200 and enabled dual screen w/ same content on both screens, just for curiosity. then i set it back to single screen. then tried to run magictune, and got compatablilty issues. contacted samsung, they said to delete the drivers, and magictune, reboot and re-install both w/ antivirus turned off. i did and still got the same compatability error. so at this point i started to see if i could find somethign to fix it(mistake). so i deleted the onboard graphics driver in device manager rebooted and had no display at all. so i hooked a monitor up to the old onboard port to find that it was working, however the display was actually spanning across both monitors(one on fx5200 and one onboard) i just couldnt see anything on the one hooked to the fx5200 cus the logon was on the other screen. once logged in u coud see the desktop spanned across both monitors, and it looked like 6 or 8 color display. all settings show single display in both control panel and nvidia control panel. monitor selected shows my samsung, and graphics card enabled shows fx5200. no matter what i do it seems to span the screen across the two ports. also now when i look at the control panels there is not even an option to span 2 screens like there used to be. and when booting my samsung says resolution not set to optimum 1680x1050 at 60mhz, however in both control panels, that is exactly what i have it set to.

any ideas?.. i'm about to smash the thing.

thx

Have you checked in the device manager to see if the on board is still disabled.
Next try removing the g/card and reinstalling the onboard and set the monitor up on that then treat it like an update ie install the new card and disable the onboard.
Im thinking that the new monitor drivers may have detected the onboard and turned it back on.
Mactronix

93ta

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
i think ur right, it's currently disabled, but it was enabled at somepoint last nite when i was trying to fix i noticed it and disabled it again. then i actually deleted it, but that caused it to re-install every time i booted so i just let it install then disabled it. i'll try removing the card tonite and going that route.

93ta

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
no dice... same thing even after removing and re-intsalling. cant even get it to work w/ the old monitor now.

93ta

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2007
update... got it fixed. weirdest thing. went back through unistalled all video drivers, monitors. booted w/ onboard graphics only and original monitor, installed onboard driver. then shutdown, installed vid card, booted installed vid card drivers. plugged new monitor into video card... and had desktop spanning both monitors. however... i now had the options in control panel/display to set either display as primary and to not allow desktop to span both monitors. so what i learned is that for my situation you CANNOT disable the on board graphics. or at least if your going to you have to wait until you have everything setup the way you want it on the video card.