help on choosing Retail or OEM Vista OS!!!

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
OK you prolly seen me here before posting some odd questions but...im a total noob and my friend is helping me build a comp so what im trying to do is at least know the basics. ok to my questions now...

ok see alot of windows vista os for sale...which one do i get...im building mine comp and one for my nephew(with a friends help but i want to learn how to build one on my own...lol) but i heard i would have to purchase two sets of windows vista os. since microsoft only lets you install into one comp and in order to reuse it again i would have to delete it from the hdd and it would have to be a retail os.??? please help...i just bought a book on how to build a pc.

i see this vista os...sytem builders oem for $111.00 and a retail for $219.00 (both 32bit home premium.) yes i know read the book you say...but i still have alot to read to get there...but this forums help out alot...i get impatient...sorry

im would like any help on to clarify this os thang...thank you!

ps. sorry for any mispelled words and confusing sentence...i typed this really quick.

Solariscs

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
They are both the same really, OEM just comes in a little box with no information manual, while the retail one is prettied up and comes with the manual.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
OEM doesn't come with a manual or come with any support from MS (Microsoft), but do you really get or need any (Support that is). The license key also supposed to be locked to only one motherboard; which make it harder to upgrade your motherboard at a later time (Not impossible, just harder).
Retail comes with a pamplet (not a manual) and you can call for support (one time only).
Either way, when you change your motherboard, you'll need to call MS and tell them your computer crashed and you had to replace to board

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
To tell you the truth now, OEM version is for system builders such as your self and is not locked to the motherboard or else i wouldn't have activated 2 computers with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. Store bought none oem versions are just upgrades from Win XP.

R COllins

Rogue77777 has it right. In addition, when you buy OEM, you get either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. If you want to change, you need to buy the other version. Retail comes in 32 bit dvd, but there is only a $10 handling fee to get 64 bit or a cd version. ultimate gives you both dvd's. In any case, one license can be run on only one pc. There is a deal where you can buy the retail ultimate, and get several(5?) additional copies of premium for $50 each. The upgrade versions are cheaper, but you need a running system already to upgrade from. There are also academic versions which you may qualify for. Read the fine print of any offer.

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
cool cool...thnx guys...so a Windows Vista Home premium 32bit OEM it is...since i dont have a system running vista i would need OEM not the upgrade version....any links for a website that has them for a descent price?

once again thank you...i appreciate your help!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's BS, the OPK is OEM pre-installation kit for large scale OEM builders. The OEM disk is bootable.

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
OEM = NO support from MS what so ever. Supposed to be used only on 1 PC in its lifetime. This is where things get blurry, muddy, gray or whatever you want to call it. MS CAN NOT stop you from upgrading your PC. They tried tieing the Vista Key to your MB, but MB's can and do go out, especially if your PSU goes out. So they truly can't stop you from upgrading your system and reusing your Key on your new system. Just use the key on 1 system though, even the new hacks I don't trust.

Retail package = limited MS support, can move the OS from 1 pc to another with no questions, as long as the OS is only installed on 1 pc at 1 time. Can upgrade everything with no problems. Costs more for really no benefit.

both dvd's are bootable, and shouldn't require any floppy or addition drivers for Raid/Sata setups as they were required with XP.

OEM = Cheaper because the OEM is supposed to help the end user with any problems..

Retail = Most expensive because you get a limited number of "Free" calls with MS to fix your problems.

Best bet, if you can put a PC together from parts, you can get by with the OEM version of Windows. Just if you change your motherboard out, and your Vista wants to revalidate, and you have to call in, make sure you tell them the MB went out because the PSU blew up and you got the MB you could afford to get the system back up and running. :)

Thats all I have had to do, and they don't give me any problems. They don't truly know if you are an enthusiast or not.

suspenz

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
cool cool...thnx scubageek...and thnx to everyone for there help...so yea ...windows vista 32bit oem is what i would get...seems simple enough.

thanks once again.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Get 64-bit OS, regardless of which edition you do get. Or you'll end up paying more down the road when you want to get more than 4GB of memory. And before anyone comes down to talk bullshit about compatibility issues, let me tell you that I'm using 64-Bit ultimate and works awesome.

Solariscs

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
lol I have Vista business 64-bit and since install I have had 0 problems, absolutely none. It runs like a champ from day one. Maybe I'm a lucky few, but I have have no complaints whatsoever about the OS.

At first, of course some programs did not run, but that was because those companies did not support 64-bit system or had old drivers, which is not MS's fault.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

Please STFU unless you are going to contribute.

OP, Don't listen to this useless advice; there is no reason not to get Vista for a new build. It will eventually be the most commonly used system. Technically, it is much superior as well. Stability-wise - about equal. Driver support-wise - inferior at this time, but that will change. Much much more futureproof. As many have said, Vista64 makes the most sense, but you have to make sure you have driver support for all your HW. Best done before the fact.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
My personal stance:

32-bit: Stick with XP unless and until there are apps that benefit more from Vista than XP (like true DX10 games).

64-bit: You might as well go Vista. I've never messed around with 64-bit XP, but if you're going to go with the latest and (supposedly) greatest in one aspect, you might as well go with it in another...

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004

I was under the same train until 2 days ago, I'm asking you to try Vista 64 with the Forceware Beta 162.22, you might change your mind. :)

GenericName

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Bite the bullet and get Retail - you can change it over from system to system - Ultimate has 32/64 bit install options - I did the 64bit and it runs like a champ.

I'm seeing much more support for the drivers of software also kicking in so 64 bit will be the way to go to get all that RAM.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006

I respectfuly disagree for this reason: eventually Vista will be the defacto system (and with Dx10 maybe sooner than later for gamers, although it doesn't seem that the current hardware and actually software can give you all of the benefits). It certainly does some things better than XP, and it is not a very good path as an upgrade over an existing XP install. Granted, it is not perfectly compatible with legacy HW and SW, but with some research you can figure out the compatibility issues up front and see if you're affected (most likely not).

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

VARs And System Builders Removing Vista At Record Pace ~ The Blade by Ron Schenone, MVP
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/07/09/vars-and-system-builders- removing-vista-at-record-pace/

If you want more links just ask.

The business world is very different than the hobbyist world. It is most difficult to manage hundreds, or even thousands of PC's with different operating systems. A system wide conversion is not done without a lot of planning, and a demonstrated need. It is not surprising to me that business are not changing to vista overnight, and even removing it from new machines. There is simply, no compelling need in general. An enthusiast or hobbyist has only one or a few pc's to manage, and the consequences of a problem are not dire. They can easily manage Vista.
Vista, itself is quite sound, at least in my experience. Most of the problems come from conversions, or software that depended on the internals of the operating system. Shame on the programmers. They got an immediate benefit at the price of a longer term problem. I see no reason why a new build that is going to run games or normal home software should not use vista.

If you can find it, Get the XP version with free upgrade to Vista. That is what I did - Don't know if any etailers are still offering this. I got XP pro with free upgrade to Vista Business. Took about a month to get the OEM upgrade vista disk. Had already installed the XP - disconnected the XP HD and installed Vista onto a 2nd HD. Now I can select which OP sys to boot to in bios.

Note: OEM upgrade disk was bootable, and to get around having a preinstalled OP Sys, you just have to install Vista twice. The first time, without inputing the Key - Second install you provide the Key.

From my standpoint - I'm sticking with XP, (1) I like writing my own programs (ie stock performance). (2) I'm Pi--- at ATI/usoft. I have only owned ATI AIW cards since my 486 - currently have 4 computers at home, all with ATI AIW cards. And yes, Major venders have backed off on vista only.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
geofelt, use it then. I will use XP until MS gets their sh!t together. Vista has nothing that I need or want so why should I put up with any grief at all. Not to mention the whole DRM issue, which is probably why they are having so many problems to begin with.

TRENDING THREADS