multiple firewalls

My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best, Panda Titanium bugs the heck out
of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is worthless.
Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like looking
through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys firewall
easily.
12 answers Last reply
More about multiple firewalls

    You should use the built-in hardware-based firewall included with
    your LinkSys router (which is automatically enabled), and also just
    one (1) software-based firewall (either Windows XP's or a third-party
    offering). Do not use more than one (1) software-based firewall
    as conflicts and error messages may occur.

    Note:

    If you already have a non-Microsoft firewall on your computer, you should
    continue to use it. If you do not have a firewall, then you have a choice.

    If you want a simple firewall that is very easy to configure, then you should
    use the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall. If you want more advanced
    control over the traffic that passes through your computer and you also want to
    block outgoing traffic (that is the traffic from your computer out to the Internet)
    then choose a personal firewall from another company.

    Internet firewalls: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx

    Use the Internet Connection Firewall
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/icf.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Bart wrote:

    > My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
    > firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best, Panda Titanium bugs the heck out
    > of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is worthless.
    > Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like looking
    > through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
    > un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys firewall
    > easily.

    Yes they can conflict. When I have two firewalls turned on it cuts
    my throughput in half. One should be enough. IF it's configured
    properly.

    gls858

    Thanks, Carey. I have elected to use the Panda firewall since it does give
    me more control and more options. I did have to update some firmware for
    LinkSys; however. It was not so hard to do and it has been as solid as a
    rock since. This configuration should be bulletproof!

    Thank you for responding!

    Bart

    > You should use the built-in hardware-based firewall included with
    > your LinkSys router (which is automatically enabled), and also just
    > one (1) software-based firewall (either Windows XP's or a third-party
    > offering). Do not use more than one (1) software-based firewall
    > as conflicts and error messages may occur.
    >
    > Note:
    >
    > If you already have a non-Microsoft firewall on your computer, you should
    > continue to use it. If you do not have a firewall, then you have a choice.
    >
    > If you want a simple firewall that is very easy to configure, then you
    > should
    > use the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall. If you want more advanced
    > control over the traffic that passes through your computer and you also
    > want to
    > block outgoing traffic (that is the traffic from your computer out to the
    > Internet)
    > then choose a personal firewall from another company.
    >
    > Internet firewalls: Frequently asked questions
    > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx
    >
    > Use the Internet Connection Firewall
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/icf.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Bart" wrote:
    >
    > | My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
    > | firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best, Panda Titanium bugs the heck
    > out
    > | of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is
    > worthless.
    > | Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like
    > looking
    > | through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
    > | un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys
    > firewall
    > | easily.

    Firewalls don't conflict as badly as multiple anti-virus applications, but
    they still do cause some problems when run together.

    1) Your information has one more step to go through before it gets to the
    internet - this can cause delays
    2) If you accidentally Deny permission to an application - there'll be heck
    to pay when trying to find out which one of them is blocking it.
    3) The hardware firewall in your router is essential - it's also dumb, with
    a set of wired in rules that it has to follow. The software firewall - in
    combination with the hardware firewall - gives you the flexibility that you
    need along with the security

    Personally, I use a hardware firewall in my router and one software
    firewall. I find that the built in Windows Firewall that comes with SP2
    doesn't meet my needs. I'd recommend it for someone who doesn't want to be
    bothered with deciding what should be done. I use the Sygate Personal
    Firewall (freeware) and know a lot of folks who recommend the Zone Alarm free
    version also.

    "Bart" wrote:

    > My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
    > firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best, Panda Titanium bugs the heck out
    > of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is worthless.
    > Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like looking
    > through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
    > un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys firewall
    > easily.

    > You should use the built-in hardware-based firewall included with
    > your LinkSys router (which is automatically enabled), and also just
    > one (1) software-based firewall (either Windows XP's or a third-party
    > offering). Do not use more than one (1) software-based firewall
    > as conflicts and error messages may occur.

    Is there a benefit to running the XP firewall as well as the router
    firewall?

    I have a D-Link router and it turns the XP firewall off when it is switched
    on and given the extra control and features it has it never occurred to me
    there was any benefit to having XP on at the same time.

    Lorne wrote:

    > Is there a benefit to running the XP firewall as well as the router
    > firewall?

    None, whatsoever. A 3rd party firewall would have an added layer of
    protection, however.

    > I have a D-Link router and it turns the XP firewall off when it is switched
    > on and given the extra control and features it has it never occurred to me
    > there was any benefit to having XP on at the same time.

    If you use a router with NAT, it's still a very good idea to use a
    3rd party software firewall. Like WinXP's built-in firewall,
    NAT-capable routers do *nothing* to protect the user from him/herself
    (or any "curious," over-confident teenagers in the home). Again --
    and I cannot emphasize this enough -- almost all spyware and many
    Trojans and worms are downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit
    unknowingly) by the user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or
    ZoneAlarm, that can detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going
    traffic is an important element of protecting one's privacy and
    security. (Remember: Most antivirus applications do not even scan for
    or protect you from adware/spyware, because, after all, you've
    installed them yourself, so you must want them there, right?)

    I use both a router with NAT and Sygate Personal Firewall, even
    though I generally know better than to install scumware. When it
    comes to computer security and protecting my privacy, I prefer the old
    "belt and suspenders" approach. In the professional IT community,
    this is also known as a "layered defense." Basically, it comes down
    to never, ever "putting all of your eggs in one basket."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bart wrote:

    > My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
    > firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best, Panda Titanium bugs the heck out
    > of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is worthless.
    > Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like looking
    > through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
    > un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys firewall
    > easily.

    If you use a router with NAT, it's still a very good idea to use a
    3rd party software firewall. Like WinXP's built-in firewall,
    NAT-capable routers do *nothing* to protect the user from him/herself
    (or any "curious," over-confident teenagers in the home). Again --
    and I cannot emphasize this enough -- almost all spyware and many
    Trojans and worms are downloaded and installed deliberately (albeit
    unknowingly) by the user. So a software firewall, such as Sygate or
    ZoneAlarm, that can detect and warn the user of unauthorized out-going
    traffic is an important element of protecting one's privacy and
    security. (Remember: Most antivirus applications do not even scan for
    or protect you from adware/spyware, because, after all, you've
    installed them yourself, so you must want them there, right?)

    I use both a router with NAT and Sygate Personal Firewall, even
    though I generally know better than to install scumware. When it
    comes to computer security and protecting my privacy, I prefer the old
    "belt and suspenders" approach. In the professional IT community,
    this is also known as a "layered defense." Basically, it comes down
    to never, ever "putting all of your eggs in one basket."

    And, if you are using a 3rd party software firewall, it would be a good
    idea to turn off WinXP's built-in firewall, to avoid possible conflicts.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In article <11c7tedgt96lq0f@corp.supernews.com>,
    bsmart@nospamnet.invalid says...

    > My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
    > firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best,

    The "Linksys" device IS NOT A FIREWALL, it only blocks unsolicited
    INBOUND connections. This means that anything your machine contacts can
    also reverse contact your machine. There is no firewall, it's just the
    way that NAT works. Do not confuse it with a firewall for any reason.

    With that being said, NAT is a great barrier for unsolicited traffic,
    but it doesn't block outbound if one of your computers gets infected and
    starts attacking other computers on the internet.

    > Panda Titanium bugs the heck out
    > of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is worthless.

    While XP Fw is not worthless, you have to ask yourself, if the OS wasn't
    secure in the first place, and new exploits are found every month, how
    solid can the Fw, by the same vendor, be at protecting your computer.

    > Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like looking
    > through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
    > un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys firewall
    > easily.

    The Linksys NAT device is a must, leave it on at all times - you must
    have the BEFSX41 unit, it's the only one that has a "firewall" enable
    setting, you don't really need the "Firewall" enabled in the SX, as NAT
    is doing most all of the work.

    As for Panda, you've not told us what it's complaining about, so it's
    hard to say.

    XP FW? Well, I would never use two software firewalls on the same
    computer at the same time, so, pick one and use it. Try ZoneAlarm
    Personal, I trust it for the most part and it's easy for home users to
    setup and run.

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    In article <uEwrKdYfFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, gls858@yahoo.com
    says...
    > Bart wrote:
    > >
    > > My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
    > > firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best, Panda Titanium bugs the heck out
    > > of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is worthless.
    > > Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like looking
    > > through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
    > > un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys firewall
    > > easily.
    > >

    > Yes they can conflict. When I have two firewalls turned on it cuts
    > my throughput in half. One should be enough. IF it's configured
    > properly.

    Utter BS, if the computer has any performance it will not cut the
    through-put in half, maybe 10% loss for each one, but certainly not
    HALF!

    Leythos wrote:
    > In article <uEwrKdYfFHA.1148@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, gls858@yahoo.com
    > says...
    >
    >>Bart wrote:
    >>

    >>>My wireless router has a firewall, my A/V has a firewall, my XP OS has a
    >>>firewall. LinkSys say theirs is the best, Panda Titanium bugs the heck out
    >>>of me if theirs isn't turned on, people say that XP's version is worthless.
    >>>Can all these firewalls conflict and cause problems or is it like looking
    >>>through three panes of glass? Should I leave all three enabled? Or,
    >>>un-enable the Panda and XP? I'm not sure if I can stop the LinkSys firewall
    >>>easily.
    >>>

    >>Yes they can conflict. When I have two firewalls turned on it cuts
    >>my throughput in half. One should be enough. IF it's configured
    >>properly.
    >

    > Utter BS, if the computer has any performance it will not cut the
    > through-put in half, maybe 10% loss for each one, but certainly not
    > HALF!

    You may think it's BS but that exactly what happened. Maybe it was the
    specific combination that I have I don't know. You notice that I said
    when *I* have two turned on it cuts *my* throughput in half. I guess
    I you have added YMMV.

    gls858

    Sorry for not being more clear about Panda's nagging. Panda has a popup
    that tell me that their firewall isn't turned on and don't I want it to be?
    It pops up many times in a session and to avoid the hassle I enabled Panda
    and disabled XP FW. Now I have the LinkSys and the software FW from Panda
    running. I have yet to have a conflict and have yet to have a problem with
    info leaving my machine. Thanks for the response. Great people here!

    PS: the LinkSys router is a BEFW11S4 four port wireless

    Bart

    In news:11cbg046720ij1a@corp.supernews.com,
    Bart <bsmart@nospamnet.invalid> typed:

    > Sorry for not being more clear about Panda's nagging. Panda
    > has a
    > popup that tell me that their firewall isn't turned on and
    > don't I
    > want it to be? It pops up many times in a session and to avoid
    > the
    > hassle I enabled Panda and disabled XP FW. Now I have the
    > LinkSys
    > and the software FW from Panda running. I have yet to have a
    > conflict and have yet to have a problem with info leaving my
    > machine.
    > Thanks for the response. Great people here!

    You're talking about running both a software and a hardware
    "firewall" (even if the router isn't exactly a firewall, it
    performs firewall-like functions)? No, there's no risk of
    conflicts between the two. The potential for conflict is if you
    have two pieces of software simultaneously performaing similar
    functions.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Wireless Router Firewalls Windows XP