Optical IDE Master-Slave reversed - Jumpers correct!

tseligkas

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Hello guys,

This sucks...

I've got a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (amd64 939 - nvidia chipset) with 2 HDs connected on SATA, 2 NEC optical drives DVDROM/DVDRW sharing one IDE cable and proper(?) positions for their jumpers; DVDROM Master & DVDRW Slave.

My computer was just running fine until a few weeks ago when due a power failure I had to get a new PSU. I installed the new PSU, booted up computer normally, wanted to burn a disc, DVDROM ejected asking for a blank disc!!! (nooo, so far DVDRW has been the man for the job; what's on you now?) I think I have updated some drivers at that time but I can't say if that update was before of after the problem. To me it seems irrelevant.

Last I know BIOS and Windows always get the reverse master/slave settings for my optical drives. Tried changing the jumpers, same behavior in windows but not in BIOS. Tried uninstalling the drives from device manager, bump, no gain.

Although I shared a laugh with my friends about it, no one had offered a working solution and it really starts getting frustrating!

Any ideas? I'll be here to complete the picture for you if you would like me to.

Many thanks!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I imagine you have already done this. Unplug both drives. Reboot into safe mode (Hold F8 just before the BIOS screen disappears). Delete entries from device manager. Reboot normally. Shut down and install only the burner with proper strap/jumper and ribbon cable placement. Boot up and try to burn a disk. If that works and the device manager looks good, then add the DVD ROM, with proper strapping of course.

I hope that helps. Good Luck

tseligkas

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Thank you both for your replies.

Zorg, I haven't tried what you said. What difference would safe mode make? Anyway, I know Microsoft works in mysterious ways so I will go through this test sometime later today and I'll let you know. However this suggestion won't handle the BIOS not being able to retrieve the configuration properly.

Joe, your suggestion is good too, it's gonna be my plan B, 'cause I'll have to search for an IDE cable and I'm a lazy person. ;)

If you can spare some extra words, I'd like to know your take on the "why?" or "how?" of this problem.

Thanks again!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
You may be able to see additional entries in safe mode that don't show up in regular boot up. The BIOS issue is not clear based on your post. Try the procedure from my earlier post, and then put them on different cables as per Joe_The_Dragon.