Too hot for my BFG 8800gfx 756mb card?

I just got my BFG 8800GFX 756 MB OC video card and had been playing Call of Juarez for about 3-4 hours when during a reload the game seemed to freeze. I suspect this is due to overheating but i'm not sure. I immediately checked the temp (which I realize probably did go down a bit by the time I got to the temp reading) it was reading at 82 degrees C and runs at 66 degrees C when idle. I know this card is supposed to run hot but any idea how hot is too hot? This must be a common problem with this card?

At least BFG has a lifetime warrenty so i'm not too concerned :wahoo:

*Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775
*ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro (cpu fan)/Artic Silver Themal Paste
*ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express
*Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) -timing: 4-4-4-12 -voltage: 2.0v -cas latency: 4
*COOLMAX CW-650T EPS12V 650W Aluminum ATX v2.01
*BFG 8800GFX 756 MB OC video card
*Cooler Master Centurion 5
10 answers Last reply
More about 8800gfx 756mb card
  1. 82C is too hot. But I am told that they normally run 75-78C which is
    also too hot. Get an additional fan blowing across that vid card.
    Try and get cooler air into the case and get the hot air out. I have two
    8800gtx in sli...water cooled..danger den blocks, only because I knew
    those cards run so hot. Full load now they run at 47C. I also have one
    fan blowing between those two cards. Water cool rig total was 500 bucks..my eheim pump was 129..cpu block was 55..vid cards blocks
    140 a piece..extras..60. Never fired without water cooling so dont
    know how hot they would have run. Like you said, life time warrenty.
    Lazduc
  2. lazduc said:
    82C is too hot. But I am told that they normally run 75-78C which is
    also too hot.

I partially agree. 82 is warm but you are nowhere near the point for concern. If you see your temps near 100 then get worried. The GPU threshold is usually set to around 125C at which point the system will shut down. If the norm is 75-78 then you are only 4-7 degrees off and with case fan and airflow variations thats not too bad.

What is your case setup? What case do you have and how many fans running? If you have excellent airflow (like 3-4 120mm fans) and the temps are that high, then there may be cause for concern.
  3. I just have a 120mm fan helping to blow the cpu heat out the back of the case. Down where the graphics card is there is nothing. I'm kinda wondering were to place an additional fan? Do slot coolers do any justice to this situation? I have one but not installed in my compy.

Thanks.

****update****

Just installed that slot cooler and it looks like it dropped the idle gpu temp from 66 degrees C to 63-64 degrees C. I'm kinda surprised, I didn't think it would work that well it is after all a cheap one maybe I should upgrade it to a Thermaltake TMG SL1 Slot Cooler it looks pretty beefy. I'll keep an eye on it. Any other ideas to get the heat out of the box? Any one have any handy sites with some good ideas? Actually now that I think about it I have a mid-size case a Cooler Master Centurion 5 which I really like but I have 4 hdd in it (80gb, 120gb, 500gb and a 74 gb raptor drive) maybe I should try to get rid of 1 or 2 of those drives and get some hot air out the front of the case since it has a spot for ventillation? because the video card is so damn big it is very close to touching the drives.
  4. lazduc said:
    82C is too hot. But I am told that they normally run 75-78C which is
    also too hot.

My 7800 GTX has been running games at full load for two years at 79-80C which is still in the green in the Nvidia control panel under "monitor temp levels."
  5. There is nothing out there to log cpu temps while in games is there? That would be nice to know how hot I am actually running. Nevermind just found event logging for ntune.
  6. rashod0 said:
    There is nothing out there to log cpu temps while in games is there? That would be nice to know how hot I am actually running. Nevermind just found event logging for ntune.

Speed Fan, Core Temp, Everest, and TAT.
  7. Any of the ones systemlord mention are fine. Just minnimize the game and check them. My GeForce 6800 runs around 80 under load and has been for years so no worries. Glad to hear the slot cooler worked a bit.
  8. If you only have 1 rear fan running,that will make you case pretty hot.
    I suspect the card had temps in the 90's since they where down to 82 by the time you ran the monitor.
    Ideal set up would be having a rear and top fan to let the heat escape and a front fan for cold air intake.
    In your case I suggest removing the HDs you dont need so not to block the front air intake.
    Might want to replace the fans with high Air flow ones,or get a better case.
    It's a shame to have nice specs only to limit them with a poor case.
    You can also download Riva tuner and make the card's fan always run at 100% wich will lower the cards temp.
    My XFX 8800GTX ran 57 idle and 70's load,I replace the stock paste for the GPU with artic silver and it dropped to 53 idle.With Riva it sits @ 47 idle,but I have all the fans I mentioned going with an additional 120 inside blowing on the card.....I have a big case
  9. What are the clocks on that card? I run my EVGA 8800GTX at 620 core and 1000 memory with my fan speed set to 100% and I run idle 50c to 53c and load in the mid to high 60's.

Edit: My case is an Antec 900, with four 120mm fans and one 200mm fan all on high, so that helps keep the temps low.
  10. My gpu core is runnin 594mhz and my gpu memory at: 900mhz it is a stock OC card so it's being pushed already. I'm gonna get better fans and get this baby cooled down. Can someone explain how to make sure your fans are running at 100%? I'm running rivatuner but that seems a bit tricky. Maybe I'll try on of the other programs.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics