What exactly is stepping?

Ok. This may be a stupid question. I see a lot of discussion of stepping for CPUs and which ones are better; but what exactly is it?

Is it nothing more than a way of expression a version change or update to essentially the same CPU?
13 answers Last reply
More about what stepping
  1. Intel's Definition - The “stepping” number indicates design or manufacturing revision data for production Intel microprocessors (e.g. Stepping 4). Stepping is used to indicate a “revision”. By using unique steppings, it facilitates change control and tracking. Stepping also allows an end user to identify more specifically which version of the processor their system contains. This classification data may be needed by Intel when trying to determine the microprocessor’s internal design or manufacturing characteristics.

    SO...Stepping is the Core revision of a CPU. It is always best to try and get the latest core revision. As improvements are made in the core, it allows the CPU to run at faster speeds.
  2. Can I just ask along the same lines please. How do you tell which stepping revision a particular chip is? I thought the E6750 at 1,333MHz FSB was the new GO Stepping one but do I need to be checking with the seller on the phone? I can't find anything in the tech specs so just thought I should check before ordering.

    Cheers all
  3. The new 6550, 6750 and 6850 all have the G0 stepping. It's the already existing 1066 fsb C2D's that you'd want to be checking if it is the B3 or G0 stepping.
  4. Cheers Spikke. That's what I'd assumed but thought I should check.
  5. Spikke said:
    The new 6550, 6750 and 6850 all have the G0 stepping. It's the already existing 1066 fsb C2D's that you'd want to be checking if it is the B3 or G0 stepping.


    Actually it's even easier than that. The 1066 FSB Core 2 Duo CPUs ALL have B3/B2 stepping. None of them have or will have the G0 stepping.
  6. Track said:
    Actually it's even easier than that. The 1066 FSB Core 2 Duo CPUs ALL have B3/B2 stepping. None of them have or will have the G0 stepping.

    Not trying to get into an argument, but are you sure? I was under the impression that they are moving all their 1066fsb C2D's to the G0 stepping.
  7. Raz said:
    Can I just ask along the same lines please. How do you tell which stepping revision a particular chip is? I thought the E6750 at 1,333MHz FSB was the new GO Stepping one but do I need to be checking with the seller on the phone? I can't find anything in the tech specs so just thought I should check before ordering.

    Cheers all


    Unless I am horribly mistaken all new Core Duo CPU's that end with E**50 are manufactured with G0 stepping. If you are going for Quads on the other hand, it might be very wise to check what you are getting (G0 is not only good for a better OC, it is supposed to draw less power)

    Edit: 2 guys beat my post, at least I wasn't wrong :)
  8. Track said:
    Actually it's even easier than that. The 1066 FSB Core 2 Duo CPUs ALL have B3/B2 stepping. None of them have or will have the G0 stepping.


    Sorry Track but your wrong. There is the new Q6700 that is at a G0 stepping.

    For proof. Here is the information from Intel's own website. There are other 1066 FSB G0 processors listed.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACQ

    I believe it is safe to say that all new 1333 FSB processors are built on the G0 stepping.
  9. Well it's the E6750 I was asking about so thank you all for clearing it up. Hopefully others will find the Quad-core info useful as well.
  10. Spikke said:
    Not trying to get into an argument, but are you sure? I was under the impression that they are moving all their 1066fsb C2D's to the G0 stepping.


    You're right AFAIK

    EDIT: somehow I missed pausert20's post, good find. There you go! :D
  11. You can check the stepping of your CPU with CPU-Z

    BTW, what about the L2 stepping? It saves more power when the CPU is idling.
  12. pausert20 said:
    Sorry Track but your wrong. There is the new Q6700 that is at a G0 stepping.

    For proof. Here is the information from Intel's own website. There are other 1066 FSB G0 processors listed.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACQ

    I believe it is safe to say that all new 1333 FSB processors are built on the G0 stepping.



    I'm not wrong. ALL the Dual-Core CPUs will remain B2.

    The Quad-Core CPUs, Q6700 and Q6600 will be G0.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs