Sign in with
Your question

New CPU/MB

Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2007 11:19:23 AM

Hi all! :) 
I want to build a new pc and id like you help.
You see im clueless about new CPUs and sockets and i need some knowledge :) 

A friend of mine gives me this MB in a very low price:
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1694_1...

Can somebody explain to me if this one has the latest chipset?
Generally whats the latest chipsets for amd and intel?
Thank you

More about : cpu

July 30, 2007 12:03:55 PM

The newest chipset from Intel is the P35 mobo which will run Intel's new Penryn processers in 1Q 2008. The 975/965 mobo are still a great choice for Intel's Core 2 Duo line as well as for their quad core line. Do you plan on building a gaming rig or did you want just a computer for other than gaming? If gaming then both 975/965 mobo's are a great choice if you don't care for SLI as I don't. In my opinion its a waist of money unless you have a huge LCD 24" and up. Hope this helps.
July 30, 2007 12:13:25 PM

first tell me your budget and what will u do with your upgrade, like gaming or video editting or etc.
Related resources
July 30, 2007 12:41:36 PM

Thank you very much for your replies.
Im mostly interested in gaming but in a 17 inch monitor not more.
About the budget i cant say an amount.
Id like a decent MB with 2GB of ram and a good CPU(that means of moderate price)

1) Generaly there arent MBs where you can use both 2 ATIs or 2 NVIDIAs , right??

2) From what i understand you can use whatever RAM speed you want regardless of the CPU.You just get better performance with higher speeds

Is it a good idea to wait until september(and lose this MB)?Is something new going to happen by then?
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 30, 2007 1:49:13 PM

The P5W-DH motherboard is very nice. It's the 975x chipset, i.e. not the latest, but still a high-end product and very popular. It supports CrossFire, i.e. two ATI cards, but that's not important because on a 17" monitor you only need one card.

1. The X38 chipset (to be released in September) is rumoured to be the first chipset ever to support both SLi and Crossfire (i.e. 2 ATIs or 2 nVidias). It's not sure or official yet. It's definitely not the case for P5W-DH.

2. You probably won't overclock, so any memory labeled DDR2-800 or PC2-6400 will be just fine for you. Anything better would just waste your money IMO. Anything slower would probably save you very little cash while reducing performance. Get 2 GB.

If you really get a good price for this P5W-DH then take it. You shouldn't wait for X38 because it will be very expensive and you don't actually need it.

I'd recommend a Q6600 CPU (US$ 266), because it's the best value for the money these days. If you can't afford that look at E6550 or E6750. If those are too much too then maybe E4300...

Good luck!

Edit: Oops, E6550/E6750 may not work with the 975x chipset. I really don't know if there's a BIOS update that would fix that. If you take that MB make sure you get a compatible CPU. An E6600 would work for example.
July 30, 2007 9:44:39 PM

aevm said:
The P5W-DH motherboard is very nice. It's the 975x chipset, i.e. not the latest, but still a high-end product and very popular. It supports CrossFire, i.e. two ATI cards, but that's not important because on a 17" monitor you only need one card.

1. The X38 chipset (to be released in September) is rumoured to be the first chipset ever to support both SLi and Crossfire (i.e. 2 ATIs or 2 nVidias). It's not sure or official yet. It's definitely not the case for P5W-DH.

2. You probably won't overclock, so any memory labeled DDR2-800 or PC2-6400 will be just fine for you. Anything better would just waste your money IMO. Anything slower would probably save you very little cash while reducing performance. Get 2 GB.

If you really get a good price for this P5W-DH then take it. You shouldn't wait for X38 because it will be very expensive and you don't actually need it.

I'd recommend a Q6600 CPU (US$ 266), because it's the best value for the money these days. If you can't afford that look at E6550 or E6750. If those are too much too then maybe E4300...

Good luck!

Edit: Oops, E6550/E6750 may not work with the 975x chipset. I really don't know if there's a BIOS update that would fix that. If you take that MB make sure you get a compatible CPU. An E6600 would work for example.

That about sums it up, what he said.
July 31, 2007 10:56:27 AM

A dumb question: :) 
If i use only one vga it doesnt need to be ATIs ,right??
July 31, 2007 11:28:43 AM

Another thing :) 
I dont have sata devices.
I only have 3 EIDE devices.
Thats not a problem, correct?
July 31, 2007 12:01:13 PM

arisgr0 said:
Another thing :) 
I dont have sata devices.
I only have 3 EIDE devices.
Thats not a problem, correct?

Its time to upgrade your drives, I have never heard anyone using EIDE HDD anymore. Sata hard drives are really cheap, you could get a sata 80GB HDD for $50-$70 dollars.
July 31, 2007 12:12:42 PM

Yes you are right but i have a good and big one and im keeping it at the moment :) 
So i wont have aproblem right?

Oh, and i found and a cpu:E6600
What do you think for this combination? :) 
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2007 1:30:24 PM

arisgr0 said:
Yes you are right but i have a good and big one and im keeping it at the moment :) 
So i wont have aproblem right?

Oh, and i found and a cpu:E6600
What do you think for this combination? :) 

OK, let's sum it up:

P5W-DH
2 GB RAM (DDR2-667 or DDR2-800)
E6600
one video card (either ATI or nVidia)
EIDE hard drives

So far it looks pretty good. Yeah, SATA drives are faster, but you can add those later.
Add an x1950xt or 7900GS video card and it looks very much like the dream machine of 2005 :lol: 

How much money do you have left after all this for the video card, power supply, case and DVD-RW?
Do you have any of these already? What kind of games will you play?

July 31, 2007 4:36:50 PM

The numbers of models in intel duo series indicate better performance?
I mean an E6750 is better tahn a E6700 and so on?

And do you really mean it about the 2005 dream machine?So bad?
Please enlighten me because i dont have a clue about modern CPUs!!

Im gonna get a really good PSU
Corsair 620 modular.I think it will do the job.

For vga ill sell my 7600GS(AGP) and add some money more :) 

The real reason i get the new parts is GAMES.
I hope ill manage to play Crysis in medium details :p 
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2007 5:07:20 PM

Honestly, no idea what those numbers indicate. There are a few rules, like "end in 50 for fsb 1333" but mostly they look random to me.

An E6750 is 2% to 6% better than an E6700, thanks to the 1333 fsb instead of 1066 fsb. Whether it's 2% or 6% depends on what type of benchmark/application you are running.

Hey, that comment about the dream machine was actually good. That is, 2 years ago I would have gladly bought that machine if I had the money. It should handle Crysis in medium, I think, if you get an X1950XT. There was a thread today about that, let me see if I can find it for you, it had a link for the best place to buy it. If you can afford an 8800 GTS 320MB that's even better and I strongly recommend it.

I'll try to find out if the E6750 works with P5W-DH, that would also be a better CPu than E6600 or E6700.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2007 5:11:31 PM

OK, the E6750 does work with P5W-DH.

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/117944.aspx

It's probably best though if you get a GA-P35-DS3R instead of the P5W-DH, I don't know... Read some reviews and decide.
July 31, 2007 6:02:38 PM

Thank you very much for your help aevm! :) 
The MB is final and im getting it ina couple of days.
I have found a good bargain for E6600 and E6700.I dont know yet.
I suppose the fsb is an important thing right?(expensive though) :) 

The Asus supports up to 800Mhz RAM.Is that a disadvantage?
Are there much higher speeds?

Could you please in a few words explain the relationship between the CPU's fsb and RAM's speeds??
You need higher ones so that you can OC?
Thank you!!
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2007 6:11:32 PM

P5WDH supports 1333MHZ CPU's :
http://event.asus.com/mb/fsb1333/

but i say get a P35-DS3R instead and save some moeny and then get a Q6600 isntead :D 
July 31, 2007 6:15:26 PM

:p :p 

From the MB specs i understand that i cant use 2 EIDE HDDs and 1 DVD drive.It supports only 2!!
Is that correct??
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 31, 2007 6:35:14 PM

The fsb is not important, only 2% to 6% speed difference. If you overclock,the higher fsb can actually complicate life.

800 MHz is what most people get these days. Yes, you need higher ones if you want to overclock a lot. DDR2-800 allows some overclocking already, just not to record levels.

Much higher speeds, well yeah, there's OCZ DDR3-1800 (released today) but who cares. That won't work for you anyway because it's DDR3. I bet it will cost an arm and two legs too when it's actually in stores.

Don't know about the EIDE, sorry. Oh well, at worst you'll have to live with one disk for a while and then add a SATA disk. Hope that's not too annoying. Disks will get even larger and cheaper in time, they've been doing that for ever. I remember spending all my savings for a PC with a 20 MB hard disk, and being extremely jealous of my friend who got 60 MB some months later :lol: 

Relationship between fsb and RAM speed: there are hundreds of people here who can do that better than me, I'll let them try. Or search the existing threads yourself, I've seen lots of them but I didn't pay much attention. It's not an exact science, and there are lots of people who know this stuff but still disagree with each other. In general, I understand that fsb 1066 + DDR2-1066 is a good combination allowing good overclocking, etc. Hey, you didn't even get a CPU cooler, why am I bothering you with this :pt1cable: 

July 31, 2007 6:41:04 PM

yes the 1950xt is the best card out, and get new drives, sata 3.0gb/s. also, don't look at what the manufacturer says about the fsb, just ask people who own about its max fsb oc potential. cuz sumtimes the manufacturer just puts the standard on their specs.
August 1, 2007 1:26:49 PM

Thanks for the replies :) 
Im getting the MB tommorow.
Although im concerned about whether i should buy a P35 or not ill stick with your advices.
Ill get it for 80 euros (110 dollars) with almost 3 years warranty.
Not bad i think
August 2, 2007 10:43:07 AM

ok a question:
ive looked in the internet for prices and i saw that the E6750 is cheaper that the E6700.
How is that?
Shouldnt be the opposite??
a c 135 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2007 6:51:15 PM

So dont u like when its cheaper ? do u want it to be more expensive ?!
August 5, 2007 12:06:35 AM

Just talking about logic.
better model---->more expensive

It is supposed to be better,isnt it?
!