Radeon HD 2900XT issues under WinXP

Lopez0101

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
So I recently received all my computer stuff and put it together.
Gigabyte P35C-DSR3
Q6600
2GB DDR2 1066 Crucial Ballistix
Audigy X-Fi
Sapphire HD 2900XT
WD Raptor 150GB
Asus DVD-RW
LG CD-RW
Xclio 550W Powersupply

So this problem is really weird. I installed windows and got it all updated, installed the latest drivers from ATI's website, all while being stuck at 640x480 in 4-bit color mode. Now the Device Manage sees that it is the right card but it has an exclamation mark and it says the problem is that there are not enough resources for the card to run properly, what the hell, I have never seen that problem before. It also won't let the X-Fi card start and I know the card is good and works. I disabled the on-board audio, btw. The videocard is also on it's own IRQ.

Everything appears to be fine except for those two things and some USB busses that I have yet to have SP2 install.
I don't think the 550W PSU is the problem because I don't think Windows would list a lack of power as a lack of resources. The drivers install fine but the problem persists and the drivers tell me that the drivers aren't working or there is something else wrong and to reinstall them. Which I've done, several times. I'm thinking about reinstalling WinXP again to see if that fixes the problem but I'd like to see if anybody knows of any solutions first. I also plan on calling Sapphire and Gigabyte support and possibly Microsoft.

Try reinstalling your card? And reconnecting both your power hookups? Sounds like it could be a power issue. Maybe not the psu, Ill check, but a connection one. I checked your psu, it gives 18 1st 12v rail ,18 2nd and 16 3rd. I dont know what the max COMBINED is for it. Youll want at least 35 amps combined

Lopez0101

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
I don't think it's a power issue. I already had to check the connectors once when one came unplugged and the red LED on the card stayed lit, it doesn't anymore. The mobo also doesn't give the beep at POST that would signify a power issue. This doesn't really seem like something that reinstalling windows would cure, but ya never know, I might try it.

Lopez0101

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Well now I just feel like an idiot for having never tried it. I reseated the card in the PCI-E slot and it works perfectly and the X-Fi issue went away too. I'm just not sure where the issue with needing to be taken out and put back in came from. Maybe when the second PCI-E power connector came out and booting made the BIOS think it was whack, oh well. Thanks for the help. That saved a lot of headaches.