jlowell

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2005
Looking at new Plextor DVD+R/RW drives, I'm struck with the fact that the two drives they feature, one an ATAPI device, the other an SATA, differ respecting CD writing speed. The ATAPI writes at 48X while the SATA writes at 40X. The SATA device is $10 more expensive than the ATAPI. Can there be any reason for preferring the SATA? Its slower and more costly.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The main reason to choose the SATA is that most new mobo only come with one ATA connector, 2 devices, but if your hdd is SATA this is not a big deal. Even if you have one ATA hdd, you can set both up on one cable although it's usually best to have them on separate cables.

jlowell

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2005
Thanks, g-paw. Shows you how long its been since I've built a machine, five years or more, actually. Four devices were possible with all boards then, master and slave both on each of two controllers. Why have the manufacturers reduced the ATA controllers to one? What's the reasoning for that?

jlowell

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
SATA is taking over as it is much more flexible and a bit more reliable sporting error correction. Also the cabling is much more smaller and thinner allowing for better airflow in computer cases, helping for quieter and cooler PCs.

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007

i believe the reason for that is that SATA devices have become more and more popular over the years, and ATA devices have become less and less common, so motherboard manufactures must not see a need for more than one ATA controller.