Use of vitual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
(tell me if it is possible or not)

using vm we can run many os at a time on a single pc

if someone wants to establish a small office (like internet cafe) he/will need many pc including complete cpu, ups, monitors, lots of money. P4 can be a option but not that good.

It seems that vm can help to cut down the cost and power usage.

How
1. Build a pc with mainly many cores (like a 8 core bulldozer fx), 32gb of ram, large (eg 2tb 10k rpm) hdd or multiple hdd, many graphics cards with multiple monitor support (no need to be high end card), many mouses, usb hubs.
2. Install os , then install vms say around 15 vms.
3. Connect 15 monitor to same cpu, assign 1 vm to each monitor, 1 usb hub to each vm (in which we can connect mouse and user can connect their usb drive), 2 gb of ram to each vm, 100gb of hdd to each vm, around 2 vms per core and other things.
4. Done

Uses
1. It will save energy.
2. Will save cost of bulding.
3. Can use to play games in free time.
4. Will require less space, and less need of ac's for cooling.

Problem
1. I don't know if it is possible or not.
2. Undefined Security of customer's privecy.
3. Will require parts with long cables.

SO ANY OF YOU THINK IF IT IS POSSIBLE OR NOT, AND HOW TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEMS TOO.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
:d yes, i know only little about vms.
But Using sun xvm virtual box i can assign any vm to any display (i used vitual display for that), can assign perticular usb to perticular vm (and maybe usb mouse, not sure because i have only 1 mouse).

What you suggest may be possible theoretically (though I doubt you could run many sessions on the one PC), but it would not be economic. Bear in mind that you need a separate licensed copy of Windows for each of the VMs. It would be much cheaper to use a number of cheap PCs or a central server running Linux accessed via X-Terminals.

The easiest, and probably cheapest solution, is to use standalone, cheap PCs.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
1a ) assuming the cost of individual pc (P4 like cpu+ram+hdd+mobo+psu+case) to 200$, then 15 pc equals 3000$ (not including monitor, mouse, keyboard,window etc as they are common in both setup)

1b ) But the setup that i have proposed costs around 1000$

2a ) Assuming Power consumption of each pc around 150w then total is 2250w

2b) proposed setup may consume 1000w

so this setup will cost less to build and low maintenance and energy cost. And since my setup is a new hardware so we can use that for some gaming too in free time

Assuming you COULD set up a single server to connect to 15 monitors, keyboards, and mice, it would cost much more than $1000.

You are not counting special, and expensive, hardware that you will need. For example, you will need to provide 16 DVI monitor ports. That will require at least 4 professional video cards. The least expensive I just found was an ATI Firepro 2450 for $256 EACH. Then, you will need a high-end mother board to handle 4 PCIe video cards. Add a VERY large power supply and you are now getting close to $3000.

Also, you will need USB repeaters for any cable run longer than 25', and DVI extenders for any cable longer than 15'. These extenders are VERY expensive.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

i think this can help you to assume something (cpu is athlon 64 x2 7750 2.7ghz, 3gb ddr2 ram)
http://s1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee458/realygenius/vm/

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

what? :??:

i have posted above
the system is a duel core athlon (old generation) cpu, and in pictures you can see 3 vms are running (with prime95 in each machine) + left4dead game + video in window media player

that means i am running 3vms=((cores x 2) -1) (means 2x2 -1=3), and thus can assume that we can run 8x2 -1 = 15vms on a 8core system

i have only a duel core athlon and thus i cannot post pictures of 8core cpu

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

:p i am not going to build that system. :non:
it is only another use of vms in real life for some profit
i am not sure if it is gonna work or not , :sweat: as i haven't seen more than 1 cursors (mouse) and keyboards on a single pc (i think possible but not sure)

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

:sol: as i said "if someone wants to establish a small office", thus mean i am not going to build that :p

:ouch: "Now I find that I have wasted at least 10 minutes of my life." :eek:
:whistle: if you have many keyboards, mouses and displays you can try this by yourself , it works in my system (partially) :lol:

On any OS I have used - Windows, Linux, Solaris, MacOS X - the input from all mice and keyboards attached are combined. You would need to write a kernel driver to allow each input to be mapped separately, and then modify your VM software to allow you to attach it to a specific input device.

Status
Not open for further replies.