Sign in with
Your question

New Builder

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2007 3:11:35 PM

Hey guys, love the site! I've been browsing for a few days now. I'm getting ready to start shopping for components for a gaming system that should run between $800 and $1200, everything included (monitor, speakers, etc...) I've done some digging, and I've found some good info on different components, but before I jump in and build someone else's rig based on their specs, I'd like to find out a little more about what each component does, who the best manufacturer's are, pro's and con's of different specs, etc...

I know a fair amount as far as the general population is concerned, but I'm a definite n00b when compared to most of you in here. I've got a lot of questions, and rather than bombard all at once, I'll just ask them in relevant groups.

First up, CPU's.

Single core v Dual Core v Quad Core. If I'm going to use it primarily for gaming, does it matter much? Or is the quad core going to beat the dual core hands down regardless of intended use?

AMD v Intel. Aside from loyalty factors, what are the differences between the two? Reliability, ease of use, and warranty are all considerations. Which is better?

I don't understand the numbers for FSB. From what it sounds like, this is the real indicator of how "fast" your computer will run. If my CPU supports 1066MHz, I obviously will need a motherboard that supports 1066 as well, right? Other considerations when dealing with FSB?

That should keep me for a bit. I appreciate any an all responses.

More about : builder

July 26, 2007 6:54:35 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful info!
July 26, 2007 7:20:41 PM

You're welcome!
!