Disabled Integrated Sound - Now I Can't Boot (Even In Safe Mode)

G

I tried searching for updates to my sound driver (Integrated on the Intel D975Xbx mobo. RealTek, I believe it was) via the device manager.

Computer crashed.

Rebooted. No sound. Couldn't adjust volume - no driver installed.

Driver still showed up in device manager.

Disabled then re-enabled driver.

Computer crashed.

Can't boot up in normal or safe mode (or last known good configuration).

Normal mode: after bootscreen flashes blue screen with white text for a fraction of a second then reboots.

Safe mode: after list of drivers flashes by, pauses for a second, reboots.

---

Tried resetting BIOS. Did not work.

Also: when boot normally error is a "problem has been detected etc. etc. etc.

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xB84EB380, 0xB84EB07C, 0x8A7B0805)"

not that i believe the numbers mean anything to a human being at a remote location.

---

I've installed ubuntu and am able to dual-boot into it in case any of you have any ideas of how to fix things from there. =\

---

Tried disabling audio in BIOS. Didn't help. No change.

---

And now BIOS is arbitrarily freezing on me...

---

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Nope, totally seperate.

The chkdsk /r is a command you can run in the repair/recovery console that you said you were in.

The windows repair that I linked above is a function of it's own, outside the repair console. The windows repair will scan your install, and restore your windows system files to their original state.

G

ran the repair function, went to get some lunch, came back to the red bar counting down to restart. computer restarted, prompted me to press any key to boot from disk. i did. i'm now back to "welcome to setup".

Ok, cancel and exit the setup. You don't want to reinstall windows.

If the repair completed successfully, boot into the BIOS, and change the first boot device to the hard drive. You can remove the OS disc. Save the BIOS changes and exit.

If the repair worked properly, you should be able to boot into windows.

G

rebooted again without booting from cd and now i'm at windows installation screen..
at 'installing windows'.

"enjoy an all new look"... -.-

G

got an error message about an audio codec possibly causing problems in my windows installation. asked if i wanted to install it. told it no.

G

Successfully booted up. Seems to be the same OS. Same programs there etc.
Appears something attempted to edit the registry upon bootup. Maybe avast or something.

"Error: Registry editing has been disabled by the administrator."

Which it hasn't. I'm the administrator.

Tried uninstalling a problem - as i do that every now and then - and windows crashed and gave me a blue screen telling me it was beginning a physical memory dump.

Ok, you'll want to find out what is trying to edit your registry. The error should be listed in the event viewer. It will list the name of the program/service that's doing it.

It maybe a windows service trying to fix the registry from the windows repair. Or it could be some sort of malware.

Just to be on the safe side, you may want to boot into safe mode with networking, download, install, and update malwarebytes. Then do a full system scan.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

G

when i ran chrome i got an error message about corrupt files and a suggestion to run chkdsk - so i'm doing that now (with /r) .. after that's done i'll run malwarebtyes in safe mode and after /that/ i'll boot normally and check event viewer for any inconsistancies.

I'll update the thread if anyone of consequence happens or I finish, whatever comes first.

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate you help.

G

I'm in safe mode w/ networking and nothing is happening when I try to run malwarebytes setup. =x

>.< i thought this was just a driver problem thing.. /sigh

If i try to run the setup as administrator i get the error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." there is no mbam-setup.exe in services (not surprising).

G

yes - there are a number of them but none of them show the registry error i got or mention the registry at all. Sources include srservice and DCOM. others are there but are a minute+ later (when trying to install malwarebytes?)

TRENDING THREADS