Sudden overheating problem.

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
After bringing my comp home from a LAN, it now suddenly overheats. In Bios it says the temp of the CPU is 80º C (normally about 40) now, and speedfan registers it at 60+. I checked and all the fans are running.

I have a Zalman (9750 I think) on my CPU. It seems fairly secure, but I noticed that pushing on it made the temp drop 3-5 C. Does this sound like it has become somehow unseated from the CPU?

I'm am going to be very frustrated if I have to pull that damn thing off. It took 2 people, a blood sacrifice and a lot of swearing to get it on. I swear it performs well, but I'll be damned if you don't have to be a magician to get the thing on there.

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Yeah that's what a meant to say. Damn thing. I suppose I should also check my voltages, though it is unlikely they changed themselves spontaneously.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
I had the same issue once, the thung* had vibrated loose in the car. *sigh* I had been rather attached to that P3 "1.6"GHz.

*Thung, lit. "Large, Unwieldy Thing".

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Anyone know where I can find some cheap virgins to sacrifice to this damn thing. Or a sumo wrestler that can pin it down while I contort my fingers to unapproachable angles to re-attatch it? :p

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Screws do me little good if I can't squeeze a screwdrive in past the ponderous bulk of the heatsink. I really wonder who designed these things. Design engineers never seem to keep in mind installation or maintenance.

vylo

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
VICTORY IS MINE. Took off the cooler, wiped off the thermal grease with a paper towel, reapplied new grease, reseated (this involved 2 screwdrivers and excessive swearing).

CPU temp went from 85 to 35.