Sign in with
Your question

Utilities to test a new drive?

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2007 2:37:30 AM

I'm putting together a new system which I haven't done in a while. I was wondering if there are some good utilities to run to test the new hard drives out before I start loading everything on them? Any recommendations?

More about : utilities test drive

September 4, 2007 8:53:31 PM

if by testing you mean for checking performance, HD Tune, HD Tach, Sisoft Sandra, and Performance Test all come to mind as pretty consistant in results. HD Tune is probably the best of the above for testing hdd performance, IMO.

if by testing you mean checking for problems, the hdd manufacturer probably has a few programs you can download from their site.
September 4, 2007 9:42:33 PM

Thanks...I actually did mean checking for problems. I downloaded earlier today a diag tool from WD's site and will try to run it tonight. Thanks for the names of the other tools though.
Related resources
September 4, 2007 10:18:35 PM

Yeah, just use the WD tool. Remember to do a full format (not quick) when installing XP. It will run scan disk and mark any bad sectors. It takes a long time but it is the smart thing to do.
September 4, 2007 11:24:57 PM

texasnightowl said:
Thanks...I actually did mean checking for problems. I downloaded earlier today a diag tool from WD's site and will try to run it tonight. Thanks for the names of the other tools though.

And start the format before going to bed if bigger then 500GB! May take a while but safer :pt1cable: 
September 5, 2007 2:51:53 AM

Well, for the 160gb drive I just let Vista do a quick format but I am running the WD diag on it now. I have not done anything to my larger 320gb drive but will probably start the diag on it before I go to bed. It has not been formatted yet.
!