64 bit vs. 32 bit video editing software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks in advance for your help!

I'm building a new PC primarily to edit HD home video taken with my 1080p camcorder. I currently am using Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0 (32 bit) for that purpose. Would upgrading to a newer (64 bit) version of Premiere or some other similar software make a noticeable difference? I'd hate to invest in the hardware and be stymied by sluggish software but, on the other hand, I don't really have $100 burning a hole in my pocket if I don't need to spend it.

Thoughts? I appreciate it!

Yes, u could use more RAM than 3.5GB and that makes things smoother and x64bit system is build for multitasking, those are 2 main reasons to upgrade.

U should take advantage of the dirt cheap DDR3 RAM prices and get 8-16GB of RAM and smile.
sol.gif

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks!

So, I think you're saying that if I have 8Gb of RAM I'm wasting my money if I don't get 64 bit software, huh? That's good to know.

I plan to install at least 8Gb so it sounds like I need to upgrade to some 64 bit video software.

I appreciate the input!

OK, the software will perform the same, but if your OS is x64bit and u have more RAM, the system has much more of the freedom to do other mini-tasks without slowing down the encoding process and making the video looking crappy at that moment or issues like running out of the RAM.

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks, that makes sense. I appreciate the education. :)

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Actually I posted a question or two about my build under one of the hardware forums and I asked that question about whether I would really see a boost from an SSD. Sounds like you're in favor.

The RAM comment makes sense too.

Thanks!

O yeah, if u never used an SSD, it will knock your socks off. No more busy circle as u know it, boot is fast, sleep is fast and wake up is instant.

SSD is the best cure for lagging system in day to day tasks.

Open office is 1/4sec or Photoshop takes a few seconds and I am still using SATA II Vertex2.

CPU upgrade speeds up things, but if u want an cheap fix without upgrading your system, SSD is the answer.

Even $60 SSD will outperform the HDD in daily routine!

sciguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I hate to continue to take up your time but since you obviously know a lot about it.......

If I get an SSD I was thinking maybe I'd get an SSD just big enough to run my software but then keep the video working files on a regular HDD. Is that a reasonable strategy or will I lose a lot of pep if my video files are not on the SSD as well? If so then I need to consider a bigger SSD.

Thanks!

I don't play games, so I don't need big one.

My Vertex2 is 60GB. But I use bunch of HDD's including the RAMdisc.

Status
Not open for further replies.