Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard Lags Out Games

Last response: in Components
July 24, 2007 1:54:59 AM

I have tried everything to solve this problem. When playing any game that requires keyboard usage, the game gets laggy. I can control my character with the mouse and everything moves fluently but as soon as i try and use a,s,w,d or arrows everything gets really choppy, switch back to mouse and fluent again???? even if i am in the middle of battle and try to type messages it lags out the battle.

i ran spybot s&d, ad-aware, avast anti-virus to see if it was a keylogger and nothing was found (i also run zonealarm). i also thought it might be xp smart key but all that is off. i also went and bought a new keyboard (logitech elite LS) and d/l the newest drivers. am i missing something simple??? other than a sledgehammer and cutting torch!!!

It is older stuff since it is my back-up puter:

2.53 Pent 4
MSI 648F Neo
1g SDRam
ATI SAphire X1650Pro (256mb)
80g Seagate HD
XP

More about : keyboard lags games

July 24, 2007 3:04:46 AM

I get key board lag every night and I must say it a bitch! The reason it happens is because the server hosting the game can't handle all the traffic going through it, so it falls behind and you movements become lagged. Another thing that happens with everybody else in the room with me is when playing GRAW you can't run and shoot at the same time, so I'll come to a stop if I see an enemy and press the fire key and my gun never shoots.

This kind of thing will happen when the servers upload bandwidth is not enough. Example: When I asked the owner how much upload bandwidth he had he told me it was around 360k upload for 32 players. At that point I just couldn't believe it, what an idiot. The minimum requirements for a full server in GRAW with 32 players is 512k upload, its stated in the mannual. He didn't even meet the minimum 512k and he told me to have my connection checked, OMFG!! I am running 1.2 meg up & 20meg down and I need to have my connection checked, LOL!
July 24, 2007 3:11:51 AM

Side Note:
As a game programmer I have to step in here and say, NO.

I agree you may get lag on non officially hosted games like that, but any programmer worth their weight in salt wouldn't be validating every step you take. That's what would be required to produce the type of lag you mention; otherwise you'd continue walking and get rubber banded or synchronized over time. (This is why speed hacks cannot be prevented in games.)

Reply:

What I'd do first Sullys0 is take the keyboard off the port you have it on. If it's USB in the back, try another port.. maybe even the ports on the front of your case if you have them. If it's PS/2, that becomes harder to test, because obviously you only have 1 PS/2 for your keyboard. So, what you do is get a PS/2 to USB (not a USB to PS/2) converter; I've got like 10 of these things literally lying around from purchasing mice/keyboards in the past. Sometimes the PS/2 is called a mini-din connector.

(It's the purple one.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS/2_connector

Edit:

Does the keyboard have lag in text editors like notepad? Have you tried holding a key down for 10 or so seconds to see if it stops working or has pauses, etc?

If you have software that goes along with they keyboard, you may try to just uninstall off of that. The old software for the old keyboard and the new software for the new keyboard.

It could be a key logging or such software. Parents might have installed it, friend, might be a virus you've contracted, etc. I'd say leave the idea of key logging software to last to test though, because it is a lot more in depth.
Related resources
July 24, 2007 3:51:52 AM

EV700 said:
Side Note:
As a game programmer I have to step in here and say, NO.

I agree you may get lag on non officially hosted games like that, but any programmer worth their weight in salt wouldn't be validating every step you take. That's what would be required to produce the type of lag you mention; otherwise you'd continue walking and get rubber banded or synchronized over time. (This is why speed hacks cannot be prevented in games.)

Reply:

What I'd do first Sullys0 is take the keyboard off the port you have it on. If it's USB in the back, try another port.. maybe even the ports on the front of your case if you have them. If it's PS/2, that becomes harder to test, because obviously you only have 1 PS/2 for your keyboard. So, what you do is get a PS/2 to USB (not a USB to PS/2) converter; I've got like 10 of these things literally lying around from purchasing mice/keyboards in the past. Sometimes the PS/2 is called a mini-din connector.

It almost seems that everyone is out of sync with one another, I see my teammates drop dead before the enemy ever comes around the corner. One thing I forgot to mention is the server owner is running two different games off the server Arma and GRAW. This out off sync problem seems to shufful around to all the players at one point or another. So we know its not a speed hack, and my ping to the server is 59ms. I've played in servers where my ping is 150-200 ping and no lag at all. How 360k is split between two games is beond me.

July 24, 2007 4:00:32 AM

Yeah... it's pretty lame that he's running even one server; I'd try to find another server. I've been on servers like that before and got shot after I was well over 10 foot around the corner. That 'getting killed before you see the enemy' is a classic issue of the host not having enough upstream bandwidth. The server sees you where you are, the server is moving the enemy real time locally, the enemy attacks you (still real time locally) and kills you, then you get the 'you are dead joker!' packet.
July 24, 2007 4:28:31 AM

EV700 said:
Yeah... it's pretty lame that he's running even one server; I'd try to find another server. I've been on servers like that before and got shot after I was well over 10 foot around the corner. That 'getting killed before you see the enemy' is a classic issue of the host not having enough upstream bandwidth. The server sees you where you are, the server is moving the enemy real time locally, the enemy attacks you (still real time locally) and kills you, then you get the 'you are dead joker!' packet.

The server owner seems to think that its our falt that were getting lag and says,"The server load is only at 65% load on the QX6800 CPU running both games. He even told me to do a trace route to the server and I only hit 12 hops with the last hop 43ms, after I showed him that he blamed my PC spec's for the lag. Then I played off line running FRAPS and recorded my FPS after that he shut his mouth for good, lol. The owner has a new rule, no one can say anything about the server not having enough bandwidth on teamspeak. "Theres an idiot born every second."
July 24, 2007 4:48:00 AM

LOL he quoted CPU usage where bandwidth usage was the guilty factor. Yeah, there's a lot of idiots like that. They 'know' they're right and if you prove them wrong or discuss it, they'll exert their imaginary power over you.
July 24, 2007 9:26:34 AM

EV700 said:
LOL he quoted CPU usage where bandwidth usage was the guilty factor. Yeah, there's a lot of idiots like that. They 'know' they're right and if you prove them wrong or discuss it, they'll exert their imaginary power over you.

LOL to true, I'll never get past that thick head of his without the boot.
July 24, 2007 11:30:57 PM

hey....u chatty cathey's hijacked my post :p ! j/k...i was thinking about this last night and i thought of changing connections but the keyboard has the keyboard plug on it. i am on my way to radio shack to buy either a converter to usb or ANOTHER new keyboard???

Also, in reply to the possibility of it being server lag that is not true. I run both of pc's at the same time in the same server and only my backup puter has this problem...and my kids are in there right now playing some penguin game on fricktoons and its doing the same thing when they try and control their char with the keyboard (no lag with the mouse however).

i will post my results using a different peripheral port, thanks for the idea!!!
July 25, 2007 12:42:15 AM

get rid of the logitech drivers.
July 25, 2007 12:46:14 AM

Your Keyboard conector on the motherboard is probably bad.
!