Sign in with
Your question

1st build ever, but more curious on cpu heatsink...

Last response: in Systems
July 25, 2007 9:29:42 PM

Building my first computer ever...excited and nervous. I humbly submit my parts list for your review. I already have two hard drives and a nice computer case I'm reusing for this build.

1. Asus M2N-E nforce 570 mobo
2. AMD 5600 X2 (combo with the mobo is $233 US)
3. Kingston 2 GB DDR2 800 Ram $83
4. FSP Bluestorm II 500W PSU $87
5. EVGA 7600 GT $90
6. Samsung SATA DVD burner $37
7. Shin-Etzu Thermal Paste!!!

Now before you guys bash me on my choices....I am on a very strict budget. The cpu provides the performance I desire at just the right price. Ram seems cheap and seems stable and compatible with my mobo. Video card is just to tide me over until I buy a directx 10 card in maybe 7-8 months. I play mostly BF2, BF2142, and Company of heroes so I should be ok with that card. I just need to get rid of my old machine and step into the world of dual core.

My main concern is the Heatsink for the cpu. I have no desire to overclock and its not like this cpu will overclock all that well. SO WILL I BE FINE WITH THE STOCK HEATSINK FOR THE CPU? I know they generally suck, but I have very good circulation in my case....its almost identical to this one --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Mine is an older version of this one but it seems to be the same. Provides good air to my vid card and cpu.

I only ask because I've read some people gripe about heat and how the stock heatsink sucks. But I wonder if these are mainly from overclockers or just anal guys. I just want a good computer that will let me check email and rock out on a few choice games. Thanks in advance for your time.

Isaac
July 25, 2007 9:39:07 PM

stock heatsink will do the job just fine if you don't OC. I'd drop the CPU a few notches down and get a X1950Pro instead.

Like X2 4800+ (109.99 on newegg) + an $80 Gigabyte AM2 mobo = spare money to drop on the X1950Pro. You get better performance for your money this way, and there's really no reason to go any lower than the X1950Pro anymore.

EDIT: Or if you go for a cheap mobo ($60) you can even get a X1950XT, which will make a world of difference in games.
July 25, 2007 11:17:11 PM

Thanks Emp....I totally agree with you on the X1950XT thing, but I have a little wrinkle. I was promised to be given a free 7900 GS card from a friend of mine. The reason I am ordering stuff now is I have no guarantee on WHEN I'm getting this free video card. It could be a week or 5 months from now. So I'll hold on to the hope of getting it and swap them out later. So in my mind it makes sense to get the 7600 GT to save money and play around for a bit.
Related resources
July 25, 2007 11:31:01 PM

Well if that's the case one thing you could do (And mind you I don't recommend SLI often!) since you're getting a SLI mobo, just get a 7900GS which greatly outperforms the 7600GT for like $20-30 more and then get that other 7900GS and run them in SLI. Better idea no?
July 25, 2007 11:41:02 PM

hehe...again, I totally agree with what you're saying but I should have been more specific on the mobo. It is the Asus m2n-e nforce 570 with no SLI ability. I felt for the price, reviews, and features, it really suited my needs. But maybe I should look into an SLI board....its just something I've never really considered. Thanks Emp for being my critical eye!
July 25, 2007 11:53:13 PM

EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... %2b590

It's an eVGA mobo :)  And I love eVGA. On top of that it has a better chipset and also SLI ability. if you do cash in the rebate it leaves you at like $100 (didn't read it properly). And I trust eVGA and Gigabyte a lot more than ASUS.

I do think on your particular case though, you should REALLY consider going 7900GS SLI, since it seems rather practical because you're already getting one free, and unlike the 7600GT you will get decent performance out of it even as a single card solution.
July 26, 2007 12:00:36 AM

EVGA 122-CK-NF66-T1 $87 or $67 after rebate newegg.com
Core 2 Duo E4300 $119 mwave.com
Freezer 7 Pro $20 buy.com

$226 or $206 after rebates.

With this cooler you can easily push your E4300 to around 2.8Ghz or more, it will be much faster than AMD 5600 X2 in all aspects. It would be wrong to go with AMD for this money.

Also it's worth getting something other than Kingston for less, no rebates:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Goo d luck.
July 26, 2007 12:10:47 AM

Dior said:
EVGA 122-CK-NF66-T1 $87 or $67 after rebate newegg.com
Core 2 Duo E4300 $119 mwave.com
Freezer 7 Pro $20 buy.com

$226 or $206 after rebates.

With this cooler you can easily push your E4300 to around 2.8Ghz or more, it will be much faster than AMD 5600 X2 in all aspects. It would be wrong to go with AMD for this money.

Also it's worth getting something other than Kingston for less, no rebates:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Goo d luck.

Have you stopped to think that maybe because he doesn't want something other than the stock HSF that he doesn't have planned OC'ing? Also if you would've read his post you would've spotted that the weak point on his build is the graphics card, remember that while it's nice to get a good OC out of a CPU it doesn't really net you any real performance in most games unless they are REALLY CPU-Bound.
July 26, 2007 12:25:26 AM

emp said:
Have you stopped to think that maybe because he doesn't want something other than the stock HSF that he doesn't have planned OC'ing? Also if you would've read his post you would've spotted that the weak point on his build is the graphics card, remember that while it's nice to get a good OC out of a CPU it doesn't really net you any real performance in most games unless they are REALLY CPU-Bound.

I read his post thoroughly. His phrase "its not like this cpu will overclock all that well" lead me to believe that if he actually had a well overclocking CPU, he wouldn't mind doing it and E4300 is a king when it comes to that. It is all about getting the most performance for your money, and by going X2 5600 + amd board for $230 you do not, it's as simple as that. That CPU can be overclocked to 2.8Ghz or higher in minutes so easily a child can do it, and at that point it wipes the floor with X2 5600, like I said already.

And thanks for pointing out the video card, I completely missed that for some reason, for $10 more he can get an EVGA 7900GS from newegg which will double the performance of 7600GT.

July 26, 2007 12:31:41 AM

Agreed on the E4300 front, I just have the feeling this is just not the case for it. Oh yeah and to the OP, get Arctic Silver 5 for thermal compound, nothing beats Arctic silver 5.
July 26, 2007 3:41:16 AM

That is mighty tempting there Dior. And shipping seems to be fairly minimal too which is nice, but I really just want to keep the computer at stock settings. Set it and forget it is what I'm interested in. Though the ram you suggested is definitely on my list. I will have to admit though that I gravitate towards AMD. I have a few friends who actually work there so I do have somewhat of an emotional connection......though I do get the sense that AMD is like a sinking ship at this point =P I just want to try this AMD set up for now but I do have another wrinkle. The same buddy who is getting me the vid card is also getting his hands on a free e6300 C2D. I will most definitely make another budget rig with that and try to overclock the snot out of it. This current one is more for my personal gaming (which is not intense) and work which should be more than adequate. Plus i've got to support my bud's salary right?

Yo Emp...you sure about the arctic silver? I know it has a good reputation but I've been hearing many good things about the Masscool Shin-Etzu. I thought I'd give it a try and its cheaper!

Again....I very much appreciate your help guys. TG forum guys are the shiz.

July 26, 2007 4:23:57 AM

I'd go with arctic silver to hell if i had to (It'd keep me cool!), bad jokes aside, yeah go for it. But either those tubes are just so cheap you might as well pick both and try them both, whichever gives you the lowest temp is the way to go I guess.
!