Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ - Anybody have one ? RAID X

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I need about 2 TB of NAS Storage which will provide the least chance of being lost. This is for home use.
I jabe a D-Link DIR-655 Gigabit Router and 2 Dell Dimension 8300 with 3GB.

I've been leaning toward Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ for while but have been a bit hesitant due to the price.
The maker INFRANT has been bought out by NETGEAR.

I've read the review on small.netbuilders.com which is not very favorable.

Does anybody have an experience with this product good or bad ?

Can anyone explain the advantage/diffeence of their RAID X vs RAID5 ?

I will go back and do more research on other optioins however I was hoping for some real life feedback on the above/

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Thand and have a great day !

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I am looking to buy rather then builld NAS. Would like the ability to expand in the future. Main use will be storage of music. Speed of data storage and data acces is important to me.

Correction for the abobe: I have 2 Dell Dimension 8300 with 3G memory and 2 pairs of 500gb raid1 drives in each.

jj14

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I use the NV+ and it is ok - I'm not too thrilled with the write speeds, but I don't use a gigabit switch - I'm told that could be the problem. Other than that, it is a good NAS.
I must mention - their user forums are pretty good and the moderators are very helpful.
X-RAID is similar to RAID-5, but just adds automatic volume management.

From their website,
The ReadyNAS systems support both RAID levels. RAID 5 is an industry-standard RAID level whereas X-RAID is an Infrant patented RAID technology that simplifies and automates the RAID management process. X-RAID utilizes a one-volume technology with built-in volume expansion support, either by adding more disks or by replacing existing disk with larger capacity disks. For instance, you can start out with one disk, and add up to 3 more disks when you need more capacity or when you can afford them. Volume management is automatic. Add a 2nd disk, it becomes a mirror to the first, providing protection from a disk failure; add a 3rd, the capacity doubles; add a 4th, and your capacity triples – the expansion occurring while maintaining redundancy.

X-RAID also provides further expansion capability. At a future point in time, each disk can be replaced one by one, have it finish rebuilding, and after the last disk is replaced, your volume automatically expands utilizing the new capacity. This future-proof technology allows you to continuously expand as higher-capacity disks become available.

Performance-wise, X-RAID is optimized for larger sequential access request pattern, such as video streaming and editing. Performance over RAID 5 in large data transfer can be as much as 15-20% better.
"
http://www.infrant.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#What_is_the_advantage_of_using_X-RAID_over_RAID_5.3F

TRENDING THREADS