Sign in with
Your question

E6600 D975XBX2 overclocking question

Last response: in Overclocking
August 13, 2007 1:07:39 AM

Hi gents
have started my little foray into overclocking and have ran up against a wall. reached as far as fsb 333mhz with only other change being cpu voltage just two notches up from stock. x9 multiplier = comfortable 2.997ghz. anything above this and system will not complete post. have tried quite a few settings without success and have had to resort to below 300mhz to get a proper boot. am told that i have to disable certain items before proper ocing. Does anyone know what these items are? in BIOS or wherever.

am presently using 2x1g 667 ddr2 and 2x512 667 ddr2 dimms (four in all for a total of 3g), but have also tried 2x1g 800 ddr2 dimms as well. Also, is the correct order of ocing fsb changes first, then cpu voltages, then dimm voltages, then nbridge? if not plse lay out the order.

any assistance will be appreciated.
August 13, 2007 5:55:53 AM

When you overclock FSB, you also overclock the memory. Make sure your Mem can handle the added stress.
August 13, 2007 6:45:59 AM

huh... i'm not really familar with your motherboard but from what i know. when you oc your fsb best to keep the fsb and ram linked and ratio to auto. turning off certain things in bios takes work load off your chipset. not gonna matter that much. i have asus extreme striker with e6600 and i've got it at 3.23ghz idles at 50 all on stock cooling (i know... i'm getting zalman cnp 9700 tomorrow)
Related resources
August 13, 2007 7:58:51 PM

Many thanks gentlemen

to mr. tech, i've checked and it seems that the memory can handle what i hope to achieve. i am using kingston and crucial pairs.

to itotally, that board is the intel 'badaxe2' (i think thats what its commonly called). have been doing my calculations and keeping fsb:ram linked. What i've noticed after dropping the memory frequency in bios down to 533 instead of 667, i have been able to post and boot cleanly every time, and cpu-z reports 1:1 fsb:ram. dont quite know why but think its good. still at 333 fsb with mem freq at 533. not touched anythings else yet, i.e voltages and timings. still cant get above 333 fsb. any suggestions for doing so and voltages/settings which will help will be much appreciated. heard that i should disable spread spectrum and fix pcie at 100 instead of default. dont know where to find the spread spectrum thing. any suggestions??
August 13, 2007 8:35:30 PM

also folk, should have quoted my machine's specs if that would help. intel D975XBX2, E6600, pair of crucial 1GB 667mhz, pair of kingston 512mhz 667mhz, thermalright 120 extreme (lapped), raptor 74gig, seagate 400gig, pioneer dvd rw, samsung dvd rw, everything sata. also have a spare pair of kingston 1GB 800mhz which i can use.

am using cpu-z, speedfan, intel desktop utilities for monitoring temps, speed, etc.

am planning to download orthos and tat for stressing soon. any suggestions here?

also why does cpu-z report my cpu multiplier as x6 instead of x9 because i know it is locked at x9.

many thanks.
August 13, 2007 8:56:09 PM

The multiplier decreases when the CPU idles because the C1E option is enabled in BIOS. Its role is to reduce power consumption, so let it enabled. You'll notice that when you stress your CPU, the multiplier reverts back to 9x.
Also, you system might not pass POST becuase the memory frequency is too high. Someone suggested to set the ration on auto. If I let mine on auto, the memory goes really high and my system dosen't pass POST either. For example, setting my FSB to 400Mhz, for a CPU freq. of 3.2Ghz, pushed the memory to 1000Mhz, with the auto ratio enabled. Setting it to 1:1, the memory runs at 800Mhz, which is ideal.
As for orthos, just download it, stress your CPU and monitor your temps with SpeedFan/CoreTemp/RMClock/Everest or whatever your like. TAT dosen't work for me, so I can't tell you anything about it.
I don't think you should raise the voltage. I was able to reach 3.04Ghz(380FSB) on a E6420 with stock voltage, and raising it was only necesary with higher FSB. At 400, my system boots Windows well, but Orthos reports errors with stock Voltage.
August 14, 2007 12:37:44 AM

thanks von, i will exchange the 667 memory which i have installed right now with the pair of 1gb 800mhz kingstons before i have another go at it. will try to take the fsb gradually up to 400 which should give me 3.6ghz at 1:1 ratio. i assume this ratio is done automatically. how can it be done manually if ever i have to do it outside of the above fsb settings? in the bios or with some other utility? however i doubt whether i can sustain 3.6ghz and still be stable and within reasonable temps because i am tropical with ambient room temp of around 30 degrees c. ambient temps inside my case run around 35 degrees. may have to settle for something more like 3.4 or 3.2.

anyone around ocing at tropical temps like mine? and what kind of figures are achieved?

many thanks
August 14, 2007 8:44:03 AM

For me the default ratio is 1:1.25. So if I set my FSB to 400Mhz, the memory will run at 1000Mhz. I have to set it manually at 1:1 so the memory runs at 800Mhz. You do it in the BIOS setup, but it differes from one mobo to another. Mine is named "DRAM Speed (CPU : DRAM)", but I don't know much about your mobo so you'll have to find it yourself.
!