Sign in with
Your question

No POST from new build - 3 beeps

Last response: in Systems
July 26, 2007 12:47:27 AM

Hi guys !

Have recently built latest rig.

When I powered it up it was fine but stopped working after a couple of days. Then the POST bleeps were 1 long, 3 short and the IT bod at work said it was video problem.

So I returned the 8800gtx and have just received it back. Put it in, now I get 3 short beeps.

Same symptoms, the fans and hd fire up but the monitor doesn't get a signal. 3 beeps on POST, wait a while then the system restarts but still nothing.

Help !

Andy

Asus P5B Deluxe
8800GTX
Fatal1ty X-Fi
Galaxy 850W
Corsair XMS2 6400 - 2 x 1GB
Asaka Mirage 62
E6600

More about : post build beeps

July 26, 2007 12:48:32 AM

I have the feeling that either the ram or the video card isn't seated well, try seating them properly.
July 26, 2007 1:00:46 AM

Nope, seated securely.

Tell you what though, I'm confused ! I have 2 sticks of 1gb ram yes?

There are 4 sockets, in pairs - DIMM_A1 & A2 nearest the processor, and DIMM_B1&B2 to the right of them.
In both cases the A1/B1 sockets are beige and the A@/B2 sockets are black.

Should the Ram sticks be in say A1 & A2 / B1 & B2 ie. next to each other or should they be in same colour sockets e.g. A1 & B1 / A2 & B2 ?

Incidentally, the _A1 socket (nearest the processor) is not accessible due to my heatsink fan.

The mobo manual is not clear on this.

andy
Related resources
July 26, 2007 1:04:53 AM

The colors are to show you how to insert the RAM for dual Channel mode. Ideally you would want the colors to match up when you insert the RAM.
July 26, 2007 1:13:01 AM

Cool. That's how I had them/have them. Still no worki though !

The wierd thing was that it ran fine for a couple of days and then stopped working.

Some of the sites say that 3 short beeps is failure of Base 64k of RAM ? is that a mobo related issue ?
July 26, 2007 1:19:15 AM

also maybe the ram isn't getting enough power, try with one stick first to boot and get into the BIOS and set the ram voltage to 2.1 or 2.2
July 26, 2007 1:23:23 AM

Tried it with 1 stick, in all the sockets. No joy still.
July 26, 2007 1:28:48 AM

Try the ram sticks on another mobo if you can and/or try some other ram on the mobo. Other than that the only thing I can think of is RMA the mobo/ram.
July 26, 2007 1:50:53 AM

The problem I have is that I actually built this rig in November 06 in the UK prior to emigrating to Australia and have only just got it going (or not as the case may be at the mo !)

So, I was lucky that I could RMA the vid card as it was less than 6mths old with dabs.com (whole load of pain shipping it back to the uk and back to oz again)

Should I then be RMA ing them to the manufacturer?

I have no alternative RAM or mobo I can try. This Pc is my old one and doesn't use DDR2, it's 184 pin DDR (Asus P4P800 mobo)

Thanks anyways, I'll RMA the stuff.

andy
!