Vista build reboots after shutting down

LarryD

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
P5K, E2160, 2Gb Muskin EM2-6400, WD500AAKS and Vista Home premium 32. Here is my story any ideas?

July 27,2007

I installed a new mother board today. It appears to have fixed the problem. I have not attached all previos hardware yet. I'm installing it one piece at a time and making a log as I go so I'll have an idea where things happened. If it reappears I will add to this.

Dated Jul 25, 2007 at 04:24 PM reply from you

Hi Ryan
I talked to antec and they said to try the power supply in my dell 8200. ( Check to make sure the wire colors match up first.)
I did this and the dell shut down normaly. This rules out the power supply. Also I talked to Radius and he had me start with no services, still no change. So I have a new one on the way.
Thanks Larry aka Nancie

Dated Jul 25, 2007 at 01:32 PM reply from you

I don't know if we are misunderstanding each other. Nothing is causing the computer to shut down.
When I shut it down after it powers off it stays powered off for four seconds and then restarts by itself.
I talked to Asus tech support and they suggested RMA as the bios maybe corrupt.

Larry
I also applied online for RMA.
Nancie

Dated Jul 25, 2007 at 01:08 PM reply from Ncix Support

Please do a google search for 3dmark and download the newest version. It will stress your video card and we will see if that causes your computer to reboot.
-Ryan

Dated Jul 25, 2007 at 07:03 AM reply from you

Ran Prime95 for 12 hr 51 min 0 errors 0 warnings
What''s next?
Thanks Nancie

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 04:22 PM reply from you

I don''t have another power supply to try. On a restart the power light stays on. When I shut down the power light goes for four seconds approximately. This is the same as what happens when restarting from the bios. When I first assembled the computer it worked normal for 10 days and then started restarting on shutdown. I removed the motherboard, power supply and hard drive from the case and the same thing happened. I tried one stick of ram and the same thing. I reinstalled the operating system and no change. I ran memtest86+-1.70 for 1 hour on each stick and no errors. The thing that sticks in my mind is the way the power lights cycle the same as a restart from the bios.

This is copy of that I sent asus. They suggested another power supply but I don''t have one. I''ll go try Prime95
Thanks Nancie

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 04:03 PM reply from Ncix Support

Please go to http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm and download Prime95 and run the blended stress test and see if it crashes the system.
-Ryan

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 03:19 PM reply from you

No and no power supply
Nancie

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 03:11 PM reply from you

No and no power supply
Nancie

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 03:06 PM reply from Ncix Support

Do you have access to a different video card to try?
-Ryan

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 02:41 PM reply from you

CPU 28, MB 40, Vcore 1.288, 3.3 3.232, 5 4.992, 12 12.096
Also ran the motherboard and power supply out of the case and it still rebooted on shutdown.
Nancie

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 12:30 PM reply from Ncix Support

Can you go into the bios, leave it there for 15min. and then check to see what the cpu temperature is. Also can you make a note of what all the voltages are?
Thanks,
Ryan

Dated Jul 24, 2007 at 06:31 AM reply from you

Ryan
Ran memtest86 for am hour each stick. No errors found.
What next?
Thanks Nancie

Dated Jul 23, 2007 at 01:20 PM reply from Ncix Support

Hi Nancie,
Could you please follow the link below to download a free memory testing program.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
If you have more that 1 piece of memory, test 1 at a time to determine which one may have a problem.
Please download the latest pre-compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). Once you have downloaded the program unzip it to a directory on your harddrive. You should now see a .iso file. Go into your burning program and select "Burn Image to Disc". Once it is done burning the CD please restart your computer with the CD in the drive and make sure that your first boot device is set to CD/DVD-ROM in the BIOS. It should then automatically start testing your memory. Let the program run for 1 hour and note if there are any errors and write down what test # they were on.
If you find errors at anytime you can hit the "ESC" key to termintate the test. Email me back with the results and I can tell you how to proceed.
Thanks a lot,
Ryan

Dated Jul 23, 2007 at 09:22 AM composed by you

everything worked well for ten days and then started rebooting on shutdown. The system powers off for about 4 seconds and then reboots. I've reinstalled vista and the same thing happens. I'm using a antec sonotta III case

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Have you tried clearing/resetting the Bios?
If you can't find the jumper, pull the battery. then push the power button.
Make sure you unplug the power cord first.