Sign in with
Your question

DOS driver for SATA DVD drive?

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2007 11:37:00 PM

I have an Intel motherboard D975XBX and a Plextor PX-755SA SATA DVD drive. I need to boot to DOS to run an old CDROM game. And before you mention it, DOSBOX does not support SATA.

Normally you would run OAKCDROM.SYS in the config.sys file and MSCDEX.EXE in the autoexec.bat file. No go with a SATA DVD drive. I tried a GCDROM.SYS file I got from the Gigabyte site, but it doesn't work, most likely because it is made for a different SATA chipset. Any idea where I can find a SYS file for mounting the DVD drive in DOS for my Intel mobo? Intel just says they don't support DOS. Plextor doesn't know how but thinks it should be possible. I also checked the Silicon Image web site and it says "Operating Systems that are not listed above are not supported". I tried DOSBOX but it doesn't appear to support SATA. I would have given up already were it not for the existience of the Gigabyte driver. Clearly someone has gotten this working. Am I SOL for Intel or is there a solution?
September 5, 2007 8:52:56 PM

One possibility would be to install Windows 98 for a dual boot system
September 5, 2007 9:30:36 PM

Hi,

use vmware instead of booting in dos. It will see you cd-rom as a normal cd-rom.

If you really want to boot in dos, set your sata as standard-ide in your bios.

Related resources
September 5, 2007 10:31:52 PM

DOSBOX

and there are better cdrom dos drivers with DMA.
September 29, 2007 7:58:58 PM

Hm, copy the files to a hard disk folder, mount that folder as D: in dosbox, letting the game think it is a CDrom drive?

What game is it? I'll have a go at it for you :) 
September 7, 2012 7:17:58 PM

realmadmartian said:
I have an Intel motherboard D975XBX and a Plextor PX-755SA SATA DVD drive. I need to boot to DOS to run an old CDROM game. And before you mention it, DOSBOX does not support SATA.

Normally you would run OAKCDROM.SYS in the config.sys file and MSCDEX.EXE in the autoexec.bat file. No go with a SATA DVD drive. I tried a GCDROM.SYS file I got from the Gigabyte site, but it doesn't work, most likely because it is made for a different SATA chipset. Any idea where I can find a SYS file for mounting the DVD drive in DOS for my Intel mobo? Intel just says they don't support DOS. Plextor doesn't know how but thinks it should be possible. I also checked the Silicon Image web site and it says "Operating Systems that are not listed above are not supported". I tried DOSBOX but it doesn't appear to support SATA. I would have given up already were it not for the existience of the Gigabyte driver. Clearly someone has gotten this working. Am I SOL for Intel or is there a solution?

I have done it twice
my email:- dostosata@hotmail.cp.uk
September 13, 2012 5:37:58 PM

realmadmartian said:

This is what I did.
1:- Connect SATA drive as a ide using adapter.
2:- Boot up from A: and clear C: with dos 6.22 FDISK.
3:- Switch off/wait/switch on and boot from A: drive.
4:- Install DOS and check.
5:- Switch off.
6:- Remove IDE connections and connect as SATA.
7:- Boot up from C: and check
I can read & write to this drive.
Install XP as a multiboot and save DOS files to a USB mem stick.
My email is dostosata@hotmail.co.uk (amended from last msg)
Regards - malcolm1939
!