DOS driver for SATA DVD drive?

realmadmartian

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I have an Intel motherboard D975XBX and a Plextor PX-755SA SATA DVD drive. I need to boot to DOS to run an old CDROM game. And before you mention it, DOSBOX does not support SATA.

Normally you would run OAKCDROM.SYS in the config.sys file and MSCDEX.EXE in the autoexec.bat file. No go with a SATA DVD drive. I tried a GCDROM.SYS file I got from the Gigabyte site, but it doesn't work, most likely because it is made for a different SATA chipset. Any idea where I can find a SYS file for mounting the DVD drive in DOS for my Intel mobo? Intel just says they don't support DOS. Plextor doesn't know how but thinks it should be possible. I also checked the Silicon Image web site and it says "Operating Systems that are not listed above are not supported". I tried DOSBOX but it doesn't appear to support SATA. I would have given up already were it not for the existience of the Gigabyte driver. Clearly someone has gotten this working. Am I SOL for Intel or is there a solution?

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
Hi,

use vmware instead of booting in dos. It will see you cd-rom as a normal cd-rom.

If you really want to boot in dos, set your sata as standard-ide in your bios.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Hm, copy the files to a hard disk folder, mount that folder as D: in dosbox, letting the game think it is a CDrom drive?

What game is it? I'll have a go at it for you :)

malcolm1939

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

I have done it twice
my email:- dostosata@hotmail.cp.uk

malcolm1939

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

This is what I did.
1:- Connect SATA drive as a ide using adapter.
2:- Boot up from A: and clear C: with dos 6.22 FDISK.
3:- Switch off/wait/switch on and boot from A: drive.
4:- Install DOS and check.
5:- Switch off.
6:- Remove IDE connections and connect as SATA.
7:- Boot up from C: and check
I can read & write to this drive.
Install XP as a multiboot and save DOS files to a USB mem stick.
My email is dostosata@hotmail.co.uk (amended from last msg)
Regards - malcolm1939

BrianVS

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Getting DOS onto a 500GByte SATA drive on a Panasonic CF-52 turned out to be easier than a clean XP install.

FreeDOS 1.1 ISO bootable CD worked;
FDISK with FreeDOS worked- made a Single Active partition using 100% of the drive;
FORMAT with FreeDOS "did not quite work", had write errors in doing copies to the drive.

SO: Made a Bootable USB Stick with HP's USB utility with WIN98se booted into Realmode with BootGui=0;
Used FORMAT.COM with FORMAT C:/s to install DOS.

This worked. Using FDISK with either FreeDOS or Win98 to make multiple partitions somehow prevented the disk from being bootable.
Used the oakcdrom.sys mscdex.exe that came on the FreeDOS distro with the "DOS 7.1" config.sys and autoexec.bat to map the DVD as the "Z" drive. Needed to load HIMEM.SYS for the system to see memory above 64MBytes on the CF-52, now at 512MBytes and can go higher. I have a CF-50 running DOS with 1.5GBytes. I use DOS Extenders for embedded systems; the tools and software can all be written, compiled, and tested on these computers that ran under $100 each.

The Panasonic CF-51 and CF-52 have native support for USB built into the BIOS, so USB storage devices and USB floppy are all mapped as DOS disks.