no sound device installed

foss

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2005

just reloaded my xp onto my new hdd and i dont have any sound - it does say
that there is no sound device installed - can anyone help.
--
captain thank you

Malke

foss wrote:

> just reloaded my xp onto my new hdd and i dont have any sound - it
> does say that there is no sound device installed - can anyone help.

What is your sound hardware?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Once you identify your sound hardware, you can go to the manufacturer's site
and download the drivers for it. They should have instructions on how to
install them on the manufacturer's site.

"foss" wrote:

> just reloaded my xp onto my new hdd and i dont have any sound - it does say
> that there is no sound device installed - can anyone help.
> --
> captain thank you

foss

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2005

my sound device is fixed onto my motherboard im not really sure what it is!!
--
captain thank you

"Malke" wrote:

> foss wrote:
>
> > just reloaded my xp onto my new hdd and i dont have any sound - it
> > does say that there is no sound device installed - can anyone help.
>
> What is your sound hardware?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

foss wrote:

> my sound device is fixed onto my motherboard im not really sure what
> it is!!

OK, here are some things to try. Like all troubleshooting, you should
make one change at a time and test after each. Keep notes of what
you've done if necessary.

1. To find out what hardware you have, download and install the free
Everest Home Edition system inventory tool. You can get it here:
http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

2. Since your sound is onboard (a chip on the motherboard), go into your
BIOS to make sure it is enabled. Unless you changed this, it seems
unlikely to me that this is the source of the problem, but it will not
hurt to check. To get into the BIOS, look at the bottom of your screen
as the computer is starting. You'll see a prompt saying something like,
"Press SOMEKEY to enter Setup". Press that key and you will enter the
BIOS setup. You're looking for an entry for onboard sound to make sure
it is Enabled. If you are unsure of what you are seeing, find the
manual for your motherboard and/or your computer. Do *NOT* change
anything in the BIOS unless you totally understand what you are doing.

3. If the onboard sound is enabled, then use Everest to find out what
the hardware is. Go to the motherboard mftr.'s website OR to the OEM's
website if you have an OEM machine (HP, Sony, Dell, etc.). Download the
drivers for that sound chip and install them.

4. Disable the onboard sound and throw in an inexpensive PCI sound card.

OR

5. Take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your
local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and have them fix it. Do not feel bad
about doing this.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

foss

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2005

Absolute excellent advise - downloaded everest it told me straight away what
my motherboard was - went onto the via site and downloaded the drivers - hey
presto - cheers malke
--
captain thank you

"Malke" wrote:

> foss wrote:
>
> > my sound device is fixed onto my motherboard im not really sure what
> > it is!!
>
> OK, here are some things to try. Like all troubleshooting, you should
> make one change at a time and test after each. Keep notes of what
> you've done if necessary.
>
> 1. To find out what hardware you have, download and install the free
> Everest Home Edition system inventory tool. You can get it here:
> http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1
>
> 2. Since your sound is onboard (a chip on the motherboard), go into your
> BIOS to make sure it is enabled. Unless you changed this, it seems
> unlikely to me that this is the source of the problem, but it will not
> hurt to check. To get into the BIOS, look at the bottom of your screen
> as the computer is starting. You'll see a prompt saying something like,
> "Press SOMEKEY to enter Setup". Press that key and you will enter the
> BIOS setup. You're looking for an entry for onboard sound to make sure
> it is Enabled. If you are unsure of what you are seeing, find the
> manual for your motherboard and/or your computer. Do *NOT* change
> anything in the BIOS unless you totally understand what you are doing.
>
> 3. If the onboard sound is enabled, then use Everest to find out what
> the hardware is. Go to the motherboard mftr.'s website OR to the OEM's
> website if you have an OEM machine (HP, Sony, Dell, etc.). Download the
> drivers for that sound chip and install them.
>
> 4. Disable the onboard sound and throw in an inexpensive PCI sound card.
>
> OR
>
> 5. Take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your
> local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and have them fix it. Do not feel bad
> about doing this.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

foss wrote:

> Absolute excellent advise - downloaded everest it told me straight
> away what my motherboard was - went onto the via site and downloaded
> the drivers - hey presto - cheers malke

I'm so happy that you got it working. Thanks for taking the time to let
me know.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell