no sound device installed

just reloaded my xp onto my new hdd and i dont have any sound - it does say
that there is no sound device installed - can anyone help.
--
captain thank you
6 answers Last reply

    foss wrote:

    > just reloaded my xp onto my new hdd and i dont have any sound - it
    > does say that there is no sound device installed - can anyone help.

    What is your sound hardware?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Once you identify your sound hardware, you can go to the manufacturer's site
    and download the drivers for it. They should have instructions on how to
    install them on the manufacturer's site.

    "foss" wrote:

    > just reloaded my xp onto my new hdd and i dont have any sound - it does say
    > that there is no sound device installed - can anyone help.
    > --
    > captain thank you

    my sound device is fixed onto my motherboard im not really sure what it is!!
    --
    captain thank you

    foss wrote:

    > my sound device is fixed onto my motherboard im not really sure what
    > it is!!

    OK, here are some things to try. Like all troubleshooting, you should
    make one change at a time and test after each. Keep notes of what
    you've done if necessary.

    1. To find out what hardware you have, download and install the free
    Everest Home Edition system inventory tool. You can get it here:
    http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

    2. Since your sound is onboard (a chip on the motherboard), go into your
    BIOS to make sure it is enabled. Unless you changed this, it seems
    unlikely to me that this is the source of the problem, but it will not
    hurt to check. To get into the BIOS, look at the bottom of your screen
    as the computer is starting. You'll see a prompt saying something like,
    "Press SOMEKEY to enter Setup". Press that key and you will enter the
    BIOS setup. You're looking for an entry for onboard sound to make sure
    it is Enabled. If you are unsure of what you are seeing, find the
    manual for your motherboard and/or your computer. Do *NOT* change
    anything in the BIOS unless you totally understand what you are doing.

    3. If the onboard sound is enabled, then use Everest to find out what
    the hardware is. Go to the motherboard mftr.'s website OR to the OEM's
    website if you have an OEM machine (HP, Sony, Dell, etc.). Download the
    drivers for that sound chip and install them.

    4. Disable the onboard sound and throw in an inexpensive PCI sound card.

    OR

    5. Take the machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your
    local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and have them fix it. Do not feel bad
    about doing this.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Absolute excellent advise - downloaded everest it told me straight away what
    my motherboard was - went onto the via site and downloaded the drivers - hey
    presto - cheers malke
    --
    captain thank you

    foss wrote:

    > Absolute excellent advise - downloaded everest it told me straight
    > away what my motherboard was - went onto the via site and downloaded
    > the drivers - hey presto - cheers malke

    I'm so happy that you got it working. Thanks for taking the time to let
    me know.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell