Chipsets for 45nm CPU's

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I don't know about other brand mother boards but so far it's only been rumored that anything previous to the P35 chipsets would support 45nm CPU's. 975x, P965, 6** series, are included in this list.

Here's the ASUS list http://event.asus.com/mb/45nm/ ...check to see about your motherboard at your MFG specific website.

X38 and P35 boards are pretty sweet. PCI express 2.0 should yield more wattage through the board and have a x32 bandwidth instead of just x16 like the previous chipsets. These newer chipsets also have the potential to OC very well as well as have better HDD performance. Crossfire is a given for the X38 and SLI seems to be hit or miss depending on the manufacturer, so for right now I can only say that it's more than a rumor but still just a whisper.

If you don't OC, or don't intend to OC ALOT and/or you don't really want to rush into getting a G92 around Xmas. Then you're probably better off with what you have right now, unless it's a much older chipset, or your board has just up a died.

Remember that even the 8800Ultra with a high OC doesn't saturate all that x16 bandwidth has to offer and even the 8800GTS doesn't require much more than 8x.

(I can only guess). Also I think the X38 boards are going to be a hella pricey for a long time. I think this, because if you look at 975X boards they are still on the upper end of pricing (~200) and the competitors chipsets have alot more capability for the money(dual x16 for ~170)(same dual x8 for ~110), plus the 975X boards are closing in on 2 years old and prices are still not cheap. X38 boards will also produce alot more heat than any of the other chipsets too, and most will require DDR3, so that's something to think about as well. Expensive board+expensive power hungry GPU(s) that's bottlenecked by your expensive quad core CPU, that's all underpowered by your expensive 800W PSU.

As far as getting a new board goes. If you're in the need for one or don't mind blowing some cash, then to move up to the next gen chipsets. However I'd say wait for the NV 700 series boards though, even if it just confirms your previous decision. I haven't been able to find much more than little snips of info about the 700's though. Since looking at NVidia's success with the 600 series, I'd say that the 700's will be cheaper and equal to if not better than their Intel counterparts. Nvidia has had a pretty good learning curve since their nforce4 series boards, and I don't really see them slowing down in the chipset department. Even though they do have their bugs, so do the competition.

To finish off all of my rambling I will tell you that I don't like Nvidia over ATI/AMD, and I don't have anything against Intel's chipsets. In fact I still have my abit AW9D-Max board with dual 1900XT's. I only prefer the best that I can afford and if that means it's Nvidia, ATI/AMD, or Intel I don't really care. So ease off on calling me a fanboy of some sort(please!). Also don't go ape sh*t saying how one chipset or GPU sucks because of your own bad experience. For example if you had a board catch on fire or not start, or had to RMA it 5 times. Then I'd say try a different brand, it's probably not the chipset, but poor quality control, or you might just be PC cursed.

Remember kids, don't be a fanboy, be patient.

RizzyWho

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Agreed, im waiting for the 45nm chips and chipsets untill i upgrade!
My amd 64 4000+ still chugs away quite nicely.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Thanks croc that was really impressive and helpful. The point of this post is just that it's always been rumored as to what chipsets other than the newest Intel chipsets will accept 45nm processors and here is a clear answer. I also added a few suggestions for those people out there who can't decide for themselves and need a little guidance.

If something doesn't make sense, you need to ask more questions instead of making comments that don't help anyone.

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I never saw any other post on here about any official conclusion as to what chipsets were capable of using 45nm CPU's. So once I saw that listing from Asus I thought I'd update everyone else while I was at it. One of my biggest pet peaves about the PC industry is that it moves so fast and when 2 technologies don't have any overlap, it seriously blows. So I was excited that all the happy 975X, P965, and NV600 owners won't "have to" upgrade the whole mobo just to upgrade to a new CPU.

yap2much

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I never saw any other post on here about any official conclusion as to what chipsets were capable of using 45nm CPU's. So once I saw that listing from Asus I thought I'd update everyone else while I was at it. One of my biggest pet peaves about the PC industry is that it moves so fast and when 2 technologies don't have any overlap, it seriously blows. So I was excited that all the happy 975X, P965, and NV600 owners won't "have to" upgrade the whole mobo just to upgrade to a new CPU.

---------------
e6400@3500
8800GTS 640@634/2028
2Gigs CorsairXMS2 6400C4/ 4-4-4-12
600W OCZ GameXstream

well yes and NO

if you go Intel MB then its Iffy unless you go G33 or P35 or X38
there is something going on with Intel and they are up to no good again

i know for a fact they tested the Intel D975XBX2 with New 1333FSB conroes and even tested a Pernyn core with a 1600FSB in lab testing and they dont plan to support it for there x975 and only make them work on next gen Motherboard.

its BS because i can OC any Core 2 DUO to 1333FSB no problem but i cant slap on a CPU thats got a 1333FSB WTF!!!

but if i go Gigabyte, asus, msi ect ect i can and with even older chipsets LOL

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I guess it just shows us that's it's actually being supported and not just a rumor anymore. Also don't confuse 45nm with 1333FSB. I also agree though that most decent mobo's can OC to at least 1333 but they may or may not support 1333FSB CPU, I think is BS too. Not really Intel's fault though. I will also point out that not all 965 and 975 boards will support 1333FSB and not all are guaranteed to support 45nm, just those that are on this list or a list that your boards manufacturer posts.

yap2much

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
well since i posted on the 1333FSB issue

INTEL 975X chipst on the bad axe 2 will now support 1333FSB with Bios 2692 or higher and maybe will add pernyn support becuase they tested the newer .45nm ers on a Intel D975XBX Motherboard and ASUS has a full line of .45nm READY Board out now.

Just go to asus web site and check it out . there is a full listing of alot of board that support right out of the box

Offical Intel support for new 50 series CPUs w/ 1333FSB for Intel D 975XBX2 Motherboard in all revisions

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d975xbx2/sb/CS-026614.ht m

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You are just providing speculation / marketing buzz for any chipset out side of the intel's ATM. To the best of my knowledge all the engineering samples are early steppings, and only a few chipset makers even have them.

Once there are samples in quantity, then chipset makers can provide us with real advice, not just speculation. For instance, will x38 chipsets ever be capable of supporting sli? Probably not. What chipsets will support what level of fsb using ddr3? I don't know, as this information is not yet available through any searches that I have done.

So your comment about being patient was good advice, the rest....

T8RR8R

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
Hey croc you need to do your searching someplace other than ebay. If you read what I wrote I've clearly stated that some things are still rumors, such as SLI on the X38 chipset for example.

I'm not going to start a fanboy spin page saying how one thing is soooo much better than other. I'm only going to state the facts. I'm in no way trying to inflict my opinion about what products are better, since each person has there own reasons for buying what they buy. Could be price, performance, looks, power consumption, upgrade ability or whatever. So far nothing that I've said isn't true, except for the few things that I've stated are my own opinions, like price speculations considering current and historical data, and being patient to see what else is out there for example.

If you want to talk about sheer performance I'm pretty sure the X38 with be top dog for a while, but only at a much higher cost than the competition and that waiting to see other avenues would be a smart play. Cost often means quality and I'm not doubting Intels chipset quality. I do have doubts about each manufacturers quality that can certainly sway uneducated users opinion no matter what chipset, GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD, cooler..... that you're using.

If you want to knock my block off with facts proving me wrong then go ahead. Like I said from the beginning though, this is a post clearing up any speculation that chipsets prior to the new P3*, and X38 chipsets could or could not accept 45nm CPU's.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I'm not trying to start a war here... I don't have an ebay account, and will not. All I was pointing out that what you are providing as 'facts' are just supposition based on marketing hype. Until the intel 45nm procs are in large numbers as ES chips, even the chipset providers don't know. Personally, I'll not believe the 'hype' until there are some reliable third party results.

You are not reducing speculation, as you state. You are just extending it. Nice enough job that you have done, it is still not facts. Refined speculation is still just that.

As to 'knocking your block off with facts', that's my point. As of now, there aren't any.

You made one good point in your original post.... "be patient". That's what I originally commented on.

Good night, I have work to do.

JimSnyder

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

I bought a D975BX2 on Ebay. Will the new E7600 processor work?