System acting odd after dual core upgrade

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Hey all,

So i just upgraded my system to a dual core and i am getting some very odd results in synthetic benchmarks and games. First a breakdown of my system.

AMD Opteron 175 (OCin at 2.4ghz [for now] and the fsb at 220mhz)
Asus A8N-E Nforce 4 mobo
7800gt (factory oc at 450mhz core and 1150mhz mem)
2x1gig Patriot memory @ 2-3-2-5 (default)
Seagate 160gig 7200rpm drive (primary)
Seagate 250gig 7200rpm drive (secondary)

Bios: version 1010
Chipset rev: 6.86
Forceware: 94.47 (sounds right)
Windows: Fresh install

Now the problem. I am getting absolutely horrible 3dmark06 scores, i am talking 1987 points when i got almost double that pre upgrade. Furthermore some of my games are acting odd, either refusing to stay on screen (i open them, then they minimize to the start bar) and the only option at that point is to run them in windowed mode. This problem has only been intermittent and seems to be fixing itself, or gets solved by manually setting CPU affinity (i know about this as being fairly normal). However there are still time where nothing i do fixes this.

I have windows completely up to date and i made sure to install the AMD dual core optimizer. I have not installed the hotfix for windows, but to my knowledge it is only needed if you use C&Q which i am not. These are all the details and symptoms i can think to give right now. Any help is much appreciated.

erocker

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
Absolutely DO NOT use the dual core optimizer with an Opteron. I really don't think that Asus mobo's like those kind of timings for your memory either. Make sure that your chipset drivers are correctly installed.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
That is the default memory timing FYI (i will go back and clarify). And even if the meomry timing were an issue wouldnt it be causing lockups and not performance drops?

More things to note. In the 3d mark tests it runs at the speed i am used to it running for about 5 seconds then it will drop down to about 5 FPS with intermittent lockups.

On start up my monitor will flash on and off after i have gotten to my desktop.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I cant really tell what you are saying. But according the asus website my mobo only needs a minimum of bios version 1010 to support dual core. Then again i see no harm in updating.