Xeon X3120 X3220 do they work with Asus P5N-E SLI?

gagaga

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Hello,

I'm looking at jumping aboard the quad core juggernaught (it's been weeks since i've bought any new toys...) and would like to go with an S775 Xeon rather than the Q6600, hopefully to get a cooler running chip.

Has anyone used an X3210 or X3220 with the Asus P5N-E SLI? Is there a particular BIOS revision needed for this? I've not seen any postings from people with this combo, but there seems to be quite a few people using Asus boards despite their site not listing compatibility.

If not, any suggestions? I'm not a gamer so don't need massive overclocking, but a nice stable board that will allow me to overclock once I get a stronger PSU would be nice.

Thanks all

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Do you need the SLi combination? Which i see you said you're not a gamer, then that board is a waste of money. I would recommend a P35 chipset, they are overclocking very well and as long as the Xeons for you have listed are socket 775 then they should work as long as your bios is up to date. P35 chipsets also supports Intel's future 45nm processors.

For some p35 boards i would look at the Gigabyte P35-DS3R and the Asus P5K Deluxe, both should work great.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Whet it all comes down to is, does the motherboard that you want to use have the corresponding supporting microcode for the cpu that you wish to use.
With regard to Xeons, only the motherboard manufacturer will be able to tell you for sure, and at what bios level for the motherboard.
It may be listed on the motherboard makers site, but it never hurts to send an email to tech support.