Sign in with
Your question

8800 GTX clicking/screeching

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2007 12:54:10 AM

Noticed just today that my new rig ias making a clicking/screeching sound when i play games. I opened up the case and its coming from my BFG 8800 GTX. I checked to see if it was the fan but its not and it seems to be coming from the rear end of the card.

Anyone ever heard of this before or have any idea what it is? it only makes the noise when i start playing a game.

Would it be worth sending it back or should i just put up with the noise?
July 29, 2007 1:06:05 AM

are you sure it might not be you're harddrive?? a lot of hard drives make clicking sounds before they become a paperweight so i would check it out
July 29, 2007 1:14:26 AM

All my computer is brand new since thursday, and i put my ear right up to the hard drive and its not where the sound is coming from.

When i put my ear up to the graphics card when its running a game or 3dmark06 etc it deffo seems like the sound is coming from there.

its more of a screechy whine than a click to be honest too. =/
Related resources
July 29, 2007 1:52:45 AM

#1 - Is your default resolution 1280x1024?

#2 - Does the sound change going between white background screens and darker ones?

Just wondering...
July 29, 2007 2:14:14 AM

Using a 1920x1200 Dell 24" monitor, the sound changes when the FPS in games gets higher the lower the fps the lower the sound lol.

Found this while trolling:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35... =b0d6a02a94b8be0b62c34d4a18485f02

Seems like a major issue tahts been going on for months now and my brand new card still has the same problem, wtf is the quality control.

Any others with a 8800GTX or even a BFG 8800 GTX like myself experiencing this problem?
July 29, 2007 2:36:54 AM

Send it back. It might suck to be out a vid card for a bit, but I've had a couple motherboards in the past that had coil whine. Not fun at all, one board gave me a headache it was so bad. I ended up returning/exchanging both. While annoying, this is not uncommon with electronic components. And I don't think it shows any lack of quality control.

I found another thread on here about this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/215434-33-strange-noi...

Pay attention to the last post, a couple pics of components to look for and a method to check them. I've used the eraser method myself.
July 29, 2007 3:29:46 AM

I had the same issue with my GTX. If I put a lot on screen the screech/whine would get higher pitched then when I had less it would get lower and eventually dissapear. It went away after about a 3 weeks or so, Ive had the rig for about 7 months now and havent heard it since the first few weeks for sure. Been playing all my games @ 1920x1200 hieghest settings.
July 29, 2007 10:34:01 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. So now i gotta ask am i best sending it back to BFG or the place i bought it from since only had it for like 3 days? Just keep reading the posts saying peeps sent it back got a new card adn had same problem
July 29, 2007 12:18:21 PM

If you are looking for the goo referred to in function9's link, it is called RTV or silicone sealer. You can get a small tube of it from any tropical fish store, it is used to glue the tanks together. Place it on the resonating coils and it will muffle the sound while still allowing them to vibrate. A dab on one side of the coil is all that is needed and works kind of like the rubber blocks that you find all over automobiles to stop squeaks. If you open a CRT monitor you will find the whiteish clear stuff all over most coils. If you hate the smell of spoiled vinger then you will want to take it outside while it cures over night.
July 29, 2007 12:29:49 PM

Looked all over my card this morning and i couldnt find the coils anywhere on the card. Are they under the heatsink and fan? IS it worth trying that or do in invalidate my warranty? =/
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2007 1:51:04 PM

I would send the card back to where you bought it. See if the new card works out, rather than invalidate your warranty.
Great suggestion azimuth40 anyway.
July 29, 2007 2:43:59 PM

I had this same thing with my old x800gto. Didn't affected anything so i don't think it would hurt the card.

But since your video card is such an expensive one, i would send it back.
July 29, 2007 6:29:13 PM

Gonna try and send it abck probably but with all the posts ive read it seems like it wont matter much.

Can i ask do all you other guys that own 8800 GTX cards have this problem? Is this a universal problem to all cards or only some makes like evga and bfg etc?
!