Sign in with
Your question

Newegg cancelled my Q6600 order

Last response: in CPUs
July 24, 2007 2:50:41 PM

Yesterday I ordered a Q6600 (along with other parts for a new build) from Newegg for $320.

Last night I got an e-mail saying that my order was cancelled for the following reason.

It was discovered that the quantities for one or more items reserved to fulfill this order were either found to be damaged, misplaced, or only partially available.

Now today the Q6600 is available in stock again for $375.

It doesn't sound like they were out of stock, it just sounds like they didn't want to honor the price they sold the processor to me for.

I think I'll find someplace new to shop.
July 24, 2007 3:02:33 PM

I was worried that would happen to me since the E6750 is $35 more expensive than when I bought it. But I received my tracking number last night. It was probably just bad luck.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 3:06:43 PM

rdavis01 said:
Yesterday I ordered a Q6600 (along with other parts for a new build) from Newegg for $320.

Last night I got an e-mail saying that my order was cancelled for the following reason.

It was discovered that the quantities for one or more items reserved to fulfill this order were either found to be damaged, misplaced, or only partially available.

It doesn't sound like they were out of stock, it just sounds like they didn't want to honor the price they sold the processor to me for.

Call newegg's customer support and explain the situation like you have here. Ask specifically which component of your order was out of stock. If Newegg has it in stock now, ask them to honor the price you placed your order with. I would find out what gives.
Related resources
July 24, 2007 3:12:45 PM

Yes, I would believe that if they have them in stock as can be seen on their website, they should be legally obligated to honor the contract that you entered with them when you went through the transaction. Call and bitch until they quit trying to screw you over and honor the price that they sold you the processor at!
July 24, 2007 3:17:13 PM

dude, they are breaking the law. you could always report them to the BBB. I won't get into the law because I can't give legal advice but that was some garbage by newegg. So pathetic. It isn't like they don't make a fortune as it is.
a c 107 à CPUs
July 24, 2007 3:21:32 PM

I agree. Call them, explain, and try nicely asking them to honor the price. Don't threaten, but if they won't, just contact the BBB and any media outlet that might be interested.

I suspect though, that they will honor the price. I prefer to believe there is a reason Newegg's customer service is consistently rated highly. Please let us know though.
July 24, 2007 3:25:52 PM

Anytime there has been a situation with price change for me at Newegg they have always honored the original price.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 3:30:06 PM

@ spikke.. True here too. Newegg has adjusted the price to the lower price for me on a couple of occasions. I purchased an E6600 and the price dropped the next day. Newegg credited my cc for the difference. All I did was call and explain.
July 24, 2007 3:32:00 PM

As Badge suggested try and contact them directly first, be reasonable and explain your situation. If they do not listen file a complaint with both the BBB (this only works if the retailer is a member and the only punishment is a complaint on file and a loss of membership if enough complaints are filed) and your states (if you are in the US) Attorney Generals office (this will at least open a file on the vendor). Often a call from an AG’s office will bring results, this is more likely to happen in an election year though.
July 24, 2007 4:01:29 PM

I didn't bother to call Newegg.

I just placed an order with ZipZoomFly. They sold me the processor for $295 with 2 day shipping for $2.99.

Cheaper than Newegg's price of $320 that they were originally charging me.
July 24, 2007 4:02:30 PM

rdavis01 said:

Wow! Without even telling them why? Some customers truly are hard to please. The only thing more ridiculous than your knee jerk reaction are some of the responses I’ve read. This could be resolved with a simple phone call but we can’t have that, can we…

We must inform the room before doing the sensible thing. The lynching party must be formed. Abandon all reason…

Why don’t you try giving them a chance before starting a thread like this? After all, they do have a 1-800 number.

July 24, 2007 4:07:45 PM

weird, it was at $299 on sunday. Regardless, my experiences with newegg customer service have been nothing but positive. Call them and explain, i'll bet they'll cooperate.
July 24, 2007 4:14:27 PM

Night, the problem is that you shouldn't have to pay for a phone call to call them for the error and then on top of that have to place a new order for something we all know is a lie. It is a valid contract, they are in breach because they can't unilaterally change a contract unless both parties agree to it. There is a reason why people get pissed about it, I know I would. My argument would be that it was newegg not wanting to honor the price because they figure that he would just pay more for it because he doesn't know what he is able to do. If he ordered other stuff he may want to get it from the egg because zipzoom doesn't always have very cheap prices on other things and may not even carry them. Newegg has the perfect balance. It is just frustrating when a major corp pulls some shady stuff.

As larry said and some dude before that said, others have the proc for cheaper. Newegg is making a fortune on the markup and then cancelling orders to make even more. That's so lame.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 4:18:02 PM

Frustrating some major corporation pulls some shady stuff? It's the American Dream to be part of a corporation that pulls shady stuff as you put it.
July 24, 2007 4:22:01 PM

Nightowl0707 said:
Wow! Without even telling them why? Some customers truly are hard to please. The only thing more ridiculous than your knee jerk reaction are some of the responses I’ve read. This could be resolved with a simple phone call but we can’t have that, can we…

We must inform the room before doing the sensible thing. The lynching party must be formed. Abandon all reason…

Why don’t you try giving them a chance before starting a thread like this? After all, they do have a 1-800 number.

People have right to know. Newegg has been acting weard lately. It used to be the one shop I had confidence in, they always seemed to have the best price for components I cared about, but now they are changing prices cevereal times a day and charge way to much for new CPUs. He was willing to pay 320$ for the CPU, (20% on top of wholesale) when it is availible for much less in other shops. :non: 

I am ordering in 3 or 4 days. If they don't get their act together... :o  the good thing about free market is that there always are other places to shop :ange:  :bounce: 
July 24, 2007 4:30:25 PM

It's lame that it happened; there should definitely be better control over the orders instead of some lame rigged up and false auto-notify email. However, I would have called them and probably spoke rough to them if they didn't remedy the situation. I personally wouldn't have ordered that from them to begin with; I always check prices against ZipZoomFly as I have been a loyal customer to them for many many years. I'm going to get something where I can get it the cheapest though, as long as it's shipped FedEx.
July 24, 2007 4:38:12 PM

1734079,14,57643 said:

Well, I will tell you that is a matter of opinion. Honestly, the American dream is the ability to move up in the "class" system. You say it's the American Dream to screw people and make money like that? Wow, I guess I have been misconceived.

I see your point dude, but I respectfully disagree.
July 24, 2007 4:38:53 PM

gahleon said:
Night, the problem is that you shouldn't have to pay for a phone call to call them for the error and then on top of that have to place a new order for something we all know is a lie. It is a valid contract, they are in breach because they can't unilaterally change a contract unless both parties agree to it. There is a reason why people get pissed about it, I know I would. My argument would be that it was newegg not wanting to honor the price because they figure that he would just pay more for it because he doesn't know what he is able to do. If he ordered other stuff he may want to get it from the egg because zipzoom doesn't always have very cheap prices on other things and may not even carry them. Newegg has the perfect balance. It is just frustrating when a major corp pulls some shady stuff.

As larry said and some dude before that said, others have the proc for cheaper. Newegg is making a fortune on the markup and then cancelling orders to make even more. That's so lame.

July 24, 2007 4:41:53 PM

Nightowl0707 said:

I didn't feel like I owed them a chance. Whether it was by mistake or on purpose they cancelled just that part of my order. I already had all the other parts of my build ordered and they took that money with no problem.

Once they canceled the order shopping around seemed in order. Now I saved some money on top of it.
July 24, 2007 4:59:45 PM

gahleon said:
Night, the problem is that you shouldn't have to pay for a phone call to call them for the error and then on top of that have to place a new order for something we all know is a lie.

It's an 800 number so it's free. Also, unless you can read minds, you do not know it's a lie. They very well could have had an issue with their stock or the system that tracks the stock, especially considering the amount of traffic they have been getting over the past few days.
July 24, 2007 5:00:31 PM

Nightowl0707 said:

Sorry, but why give them a chance? :(  I, in the first place, don't expect to have to call them after I place an order online to get to know why they didn't do their job properly in the first place. They should have procedure to make sure these mistakes (if mistake it is) don't happen in the first place. It would just be too easy to change the orders made and hope poeple would just accept or call them to correct the situation. :fou: 

It's this simple...
July 24, 2007 5:04:28 PM

on a side note i like how a big canadian store like NCIX hasnt adjusted there prices at all and have kept them at 289 canadian.. so if you still havent ordered try there instead maybe
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 5:09:18 PM

Newegg cancels an order and suddenly eveyone becomes a conservative. What happened to all you big liberals who have an answer for everything? A simple phone call would have got the processor for the advertised price. But nooooooooooo...why pay the cost of free 800 call to ask. LMAO!
July 24, 2007 5:09:52 PM

xela said:
People have right to know. Newegg has been acting weard lately. It used to be the one shop I had confidence in, they always seemed to have the best price for components I cared about, but now they are changing prices cevereal times a day and charge way to much for new CPUs. He was willing to pay 320$ for the CPU, (20% on top of wholesale) when it is availible for much less in other shops. :non: 

I am ordering in 3 or 4 days. If they don't get their act together... :o  the good thing about free market is that there always are other places to shop :ange:  :bounce: 

agreed. newegg has gone mad with price gouging in the past year. whether it be the e4300 "consipicously" rising in price about every half hour or now with the quad being in stock, then out, then in at a higher price, then at higher price an hour later.

the plus sides of the egg are its interface which is significantly better than tigers and zips. browsing categories and finding products is done with ease on newegg. on zip, its sort of like trying to find a lamp in the dark. and newegg generally has the cheapest prices for new products and often with free shipping.

but lately their prices change so sporaditcally, several times in a day, as mentioned by someone else. it seems like they waited for the 22nd when they knew there would be a lot of traffic and then spiked the prices up.

btw.. the american dream doesnt mean you have to give the shaft to all of your customers on a daily basis. you can make profits and thrive in business by giving consisten good service or products. if you resort to shafting, someone else will come along and take your business and thats that.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 5:18:12 PM

Shafting? Who's shafting? That's taboo. America has come a long way since the days of 'shafting'. Living in the past is fine as long as you continue to kid yourself.
July 24, 2007 5:31:40 PM

They canceled your whole order because one item was "out of stock"? That seems odd... never had anything like that happen to me. Newegg's prices, especially their erratic fluctuation, haven't been as good as they were a few years ago. I've had few problems with them though and they've always fixed them.
July 24, 2007 5:39:45 PM

chocobocorey said:

the plus sides of the egg are its interface which is significantly better than tigers and zips. browsing categories and finding products is done with ease on newegg. on zip, its sort of like trying to find a lamp in the dark. and newegg generally has the cheapest prices for new products and often with free shipping.

but lately their prices change so sporaditcally, several times in a day...

I concur on all 3 points.

I've done most of my "browsing" at newegg.com for several years now because their website is much better than any other large distributer I've seen but I've had to start doing quick price checks on my shopping cart before I check out. They usually have very competitive prices but for an entire system you can usually save ~15% if you split it up between several retailers. I don't bother with that for large orders but since they no longer combine shipping charges I don't much bother with large orders anymore either.
July 24, 2007 5:43:41 PM

The bottom line is an order is an order. If they advertised a "limited" sale of in stock inventory, then they could certainly cancel an order, when the stock is out. The fact that the lot he ordered from was smaller than expected has absolutely no relevance. Notify the customer, give them the choice to wait or cancel, this satisfies the agreement. They could just ship from the next shipment (which clearly was the next day since they have indicated "in stock" since then). This is just BS, and at least in New York possibly fraudulent. They can charge what ever they want but once a sale is set they cannot cancel it unless they will no longer be carrying the item. While its good their customer service works with people having problems it does not in the least justify this kind of behavior from sales. If this has a negative effect on them they bring it on themselves. In the long run we all benefit from having this kind of behavior exposed.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 5:48:21 PM

Well, I know a lot about Newgg. And I have never had a problem with the company. I have purchased from Newegg and had the price drop the next day. I called the company and was credited the difference on more than one occasion. I returned a video card for a full refund nine months after the date of purchase. Newegg doen not claim to be 'The Low Price Leader'. Newegg does have the best customer service I have found. Of course there is always Ebay if you want to create problems and ruin your day. Now there is a great example of what corporate America is all about.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2694&p=1
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 5:51:52 PM

OP never called newegg. If you purchased the Q6600 for a higher price than currently advertised and it has not arrived yet, call Newegg and get a 'price adjustment'.
July 24, 2007 5:57:04 PM

gahleon said:
dude, they are breaking the law.
:pfff: 

gahleon said:
...for something we all know is a lie. It is a valid contract, they are in breach because they can't unilaterally change a contract unless both parties agree to it.

Spoken like a true 1L.

I've always liked newegg, but there have been some changes recently. Shipping has gotten expensive, Q6600 price is all over the place, etc.
Personally, I tend to give companies 1 chance before writing them off.
July 24, 2007 6:20:08 PM

Like I said, I think it was just bad luck that it happened. My E6750 order went through fine even though they just up the price later in the day. It's just the way things go. It's not illegal for them to cancel an order. There can be any number of reasons why it happened. It's really not worth complaining about. Newegg is still a great store, and I found a ton of great deals on their site over the weekend.

They're not breaking the law. Getting an email that your order is being processed isn't a contract. Until they charge your credit card, then they don't owe you a thing. It's not worth complaining about because you're unhappy with the price of ONE item. They're not holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy at a higher price. They have every right to change the price to whatever they see fit. In fact, if you called and got them to sell it for the lower price, then they're going out of their way to do you a favor that they're not obligated to do. There are lots of stores out there. I always buy my components at newegg or zipzoomfly. But occasionally prices are higher than I'd like. That's when I search around and have the FREEDOM to buy from somewhere else.
July 24, 2007 6:26:03 PM

Newegg is a huge volume business that deals with thousands (if not tens of thousnads) of items. This requires a high degree of automation, which occasionally cancels an order as out of stock. Price changes are subject to a number of issues including supply and demand. I've always found Newegg to have excellent customer service, going so far as to refund shipping fees on inoperative items. For this quality of service I'm happy to pay a few dollars more.
July 24, 2007 6:27:02 PM

badge said:
Newegg cancels an order and suddenly eveyone becomes a conservative. What happened to all you big liberals who have an answer for everything? A simple phone call would have got the processor for the advertised price. But nooooooooooo...why pay the cost of free 800 call to ask. LMAO!

I agree.

This is ridiculous. So many jumping on newegg for a simple mistake. Who is to say they canceled it for the price? No one called to find out so all you that are pissed need to get off the high-horse. Perhaps there was a problem with other items ordered? Even if it was the proc, maybe they WERE out of stock and just got the shipment in before you looked online? Could be many reasons, but w/o calling and asking you will never know.

I also have been ordering from newegg for years, long before they were "big". I have built many systems with all parts from them. Like badge mentioned, they never claim to be lowest price but they DO have one of the best customer service depts for ANY store. Online or brick-and-mortar. Any problem I have ever run into a quick call or email gets it resolved right away. As a customer I am always right based on how they have treated me.

As a human however, you should realize that everyone has the capacity for mistakes... so instead of breaking out the torches and crosses maybe you guys could find out what the heck is REALLY going on instead of crying "burn the witch!" with no proof that she IS a witch beyond the wart and the pointy nose strapped to her face by the OP. ;) 
July 24, 2007 6:28:58 PM

nhobo said:
Newegg is a huge volume business that deals with thousands (if not tens of thousnads) of items. This requires a high degree of automation, which occasionally cancels an order as out of stock. Price changes are subject to a number of issues including supply and demand. I've always found Newegg to have excellent customer service, going so far as to refund shipping fees on inoperative items. For this quality of service I'm happy to pay a few dollars more.

word.
July 24, 2007 6:39:28 PM

chocobocorey said:

Well it used to be, the new format that they are displaying searches suck. I am more then happy to shop elsewhere, like Zip, since last time I checked their Q6600 wall still under $300.
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 6:42:39 PM

Newegg once shipped me an empty box! I called their customer support and told them the small camera battery I ordered was not in the box. The rep asked me if the shipping box had been damaged or opened during shipment. I said no, everything was in order except there was no battery I had ordered. He promptly shipped me a new battery. That day! I received it the next day. Newegg offers a one year replacement or refund on a lot of their items. I bought a CD from Walmart the other day. A sticker was covering the word 'Live'. I tried to return it and Walmart management said no. Now everytime I go to Walmart I don't wash my hands when I use the restroom. Then I pick up a number CD's and leave them on the shelf.
July 24, 2007 6:46:38 PM

that was my point about the egg's service... too many stores now are removing that portion of being a retailer. Walmart being the worst offender.

oh, and thanks... I wont be picking up cd's or dvd's at walmart anymore w/o rubber gloves. lol
July 24, 2007 6:50:39 PM

rdavis01 said:

it's simple, their principal stock buyer got out of stock... there are more available but only at the old price... they're not selling stuff to lose money. if the stock cost is higher, they'll rainse the prices

want to pay less, get it from www.ncix.com / they have a usa link. below 300$
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 6:52:31 PM

Yeah...I word got around that Walmart would accept returns without a receipt a while back. Then people showed up returning 'branded' stuff Walmart didn't even carry. I think the store Walmart down the street stopped the no receipt policy when a guy returned a 'Craftsman' set of socket and tent. Hey...if you are going to stay in business 'the customer is always right' goes a long way. But. I would consider Lindsey Lohan a good customer no matter how drunk she got! LMAO!
July 24, 2007 8:06:23 PM

As some have said you did not do yourself a favor by ignoring the issue.
The best thing would have been to give them a call. I have nothing but positive things to say about their customer support.

I once received a Raidmax full tower in a dented and ripped box. The front panel plastic hinges were broken. I called them up and they sent me a new case right away. They even allowed me to keep the broken case. Later I just used some crazy glue and a zip tie to hold it in place and use it now for my office computer. :) 
July 24, 2007 8:27:00 PM

You're better off waiting for a Barcelona or Penryn. The Q6600 is a piece of junk in comparison.

a b à CPUs
July 24, 2007 8:32:37 PM

enigma067 said:
You're better off waiting for a Barcelona or Penryn. The Q6600 is a piece of junk in comparison.

If you had read the thread instead of trolling like you are you would know OP already bought a q6600. At least stay on topic or start your own thread about the q6600 being a 'piece of junk'. I'm sure that would go over big with all the people on the Forumz buying the q6600 currently.
July 24, 2007 8:50:22 PM

Honestly, I think you should have tried to call Newegg, their customer service is excellent! A while back when AMD was dropping prices on their X2 series (S939 4400+), Newegg was taking a long time to adopt the price change (compared to other vendors). Being a long time customer of Newegg, I emailed them to ask for a "guesstimate". I didn't get the cheaper price, but I received and apology, T-Shirts and other cool newegg stuff and a gift certificate that pretty much made up for the difference :) .
July 24, 2007 9:21:01 PM

:pt1cable:  Hmm you guys are getting ripped off a Q6600 here in canada is 294 bucks can i checked 4 other stores most here was 299 lowest was 285 in a retail box.
July 24, 2007 9:26:39 PM

@ kickyourbu tt - You are way out of line man, it's a dang internet pc hardware forums, chill the heck out.

The op had the right to take his business where he pleases. However, having had awesome experiences with Newegg customer service, I think it's always a good idea to call them first and straighten things out through them. That's what I would have personally done.
July 24, 2007 9:28:51 PM

techguy911 said:
:pt1cable:  Hmm you guys are getting ripped off a Q6600 here in canada is 294 bucks can i checked 4 other stores most here was 299 lowest was 285 in a retail box.

Now days stuff in Canadian dollars shouldn't be too far off from the American dollar, your money is nearly worth the same amount as ours.
July 24, 2007 9:46:49 PM

I saw it go to 299 for about 3 hours. When I asked them why it jumped, they compared it to prices at the gas pump, citing "market volatility". What happened to the poster is pure bait and switch, except they forgot to hand him the KY jelly.
A bit back I saw an AMD 6000 jump 200 dollars for 3 days, then drop back down to the exact level it started at. New Egg ships quickly, and I had one problem with them out of 20 orders. They blamed the memory vendor (Adata), and the vendor blamed New Egg. Either way, I had a couple of sticks that were good for decoration in my trash can. It must be nice to sell stuff without a bit of help and high restocking fees when there is a problem. Their motherboards are an interesting deal too.They ship previous (older in normal speak) revisions and wouldn't tell me which one it was when I asked. Probably didn't know, but either way, I was not happy. I wont shop other companies if the price is close, but when it goes over 20 bucks per item, I have no loyalty between the main vendors.

P.S. To the WalMart guy, go to Costco. You get lifetime deal there. No questions asked.
a c 111 à CPUs
July 24, 2007 10:09:25 PM

289 CAD q6600 from ncix on the way to me :) 
July 24, 2007 10:26:02 PM

rdavis01 said:

Dear rdavis01,

Thanks for taking the time to post your informative review. We greatly apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to your situation. At your earliest convenience, please contact Alex at 800-390-1119 ( dial 25040 immediately ) for further assistance.

Thank you

Newegg Support
!