Newegg cancelled my Q6600 order

rdavis01

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
Yesterday I ordered a Q6600 (along with other parts for a new build) from Newegg for $320.

Last night I got an e-mail saying that my order was cancelled for the following reason.

It was discovered that the quantities for one or more items reserved to fulfill this order were either found to be damaged, misplaced, or only partially available.

Now today the Q6600 is available in stock again for $375.

It doesn't sound like they were out of stock, it just sounds like they didn't want to honor the price they sold the processor to me for.

I think I'll find someplace new to shop.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I was worried that would happen to me since the E6750 is $35 more expensive than when I bought it. But I received my tracking number last night. It was probably just bad luck.

Call newegg's customer support and explain the situation like you have here. Ask specifically which component of your order was out of stock. If Newegg has it in stock now, ask them to honor the price you placed your order with. I would find out what gives.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Yes, I would believe that if they have them in stock as can be seen on their website, they should be legally obligated to honor the contract that you entered with them when you went through the transaction. Call and bitch until they quit trying to screw you over and honor the price that they sold you the processor at!

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
dude, they are breaking the law. you could always report them to the BBB. I won't get into the law because I can't give legal advice but that was some garbage by newegg. So pathetic. It isn't like they don't make a fortune as it is.

I agree. Call them, explain, and try nicely asking them to honor the price. Don't threaten, but if they won't, just contact the BBB and any media outlet that might be interested.

I suspect though, that they will honor the price. I prefer to believe there is a reason Newegg's customer service is consistently rated highly. Please let us know though.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Anytime there has been a situation with price change for me at Newegg they have always honored the original price.

@ spikke.. True here too. Newegg has adjusted the price to the lower price for me on a couple of occasions. I purchased an E6600 and the price dropped the next day. Newegg credited my cc for the difference. All I did was call and explain.

tmouse

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
As Badge suggested try and contact them directly first, be reasonable and explain your situation. If they do not listen file a complaint with both the BBB (this only works if the retailer is a member and the only punishment is a complaint on file and a loss of membership if enough complaints are filed) and your states (if you are in the US) Attorney Generals office (this will at least open a file on the vendor). Often a call from an AG’s office will bring results, this is more likely to happen in an election year though.

rdavis01

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007
I didn't bother to call Newegg.

I just placed an order with ZipZoomFly. They sold me the processor for $295 with 2 day shipping for $2.99.

Cheaper than Newegg's price of $320 that they were originally charging me.

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

Wow! Without even telling them why? Some customers truly are hard to please. The only thing more ridiculous than your knee jerk reaction are some of the responses I’ve read. This could be resolved with a simple phone call but we can’t have that, can we…

We must inform the room before doing the sensible thing. The lynching party must be formed. Abandon all reason…

Why don’t you try giving them a chance before starting a thread like this? After all, they do have a 1-800 number.

HPCE_Larry

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
weird, it was at $299 on sunday. Regardless, my experiences with newegg customer service have been nothing but positive. Call them and explain, i'll bet they'll cooperate.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Night, the problem is that you shouldn't have to pay for a phone call to call them for the error and then on top of that have to place a new order for something we all know is a lie. It is a valid contract, they are in breach because they can't unilaterally change a contract unless both parties agree to it. There is a reason why people get pissed about it, I know I would. My argument would be that it was newegg not wanting to honor the price because they figure that he would just pay more for it because he doesn't know what he is able to do. If he ordered other stuff he may want to get it from the egg because zipzoom doesn't always have very cheap prices on other things and may not even carry them. Newegg has the perfect balance. It is just frustrating when a major corp pulls some shady stuff.

As larry said and some dude before that said, others have the proc for cheaper. Newegg is making a fortune on the markup and then cancelling orders to make even more. That's so lame.

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007

People have right to know. Newegg has been acting weard lately. It used to be the one shop I had confidence in, they always seemed to have the best price for components I cared about, but now they are changing prices cevereal times a day and charge way to much for new CPUs. He was willing to pay 320$ for the CPU, (20% on top of wholesale) when it is availible for much less in other shops. :non:

I am ordering in 3 or 4 days. If they don't get their act together... :eek: the good thing about free market is that there always are other places to shop :ange: :bounce:

EV700

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's lame that it happened; there should definitely be better control over the orders instead of some lame rigged up and false auto-notify email. However, I would have called them and probably spoke rough to them if they didn't remedy the situation. I personally wouldn't have ordered that from them to begin with; I always check prices against ZipZoomFly as I have been a loyal customer to them for many many years. I'm going to get something where I can get it the cheapest though, as long as it's shipped FedEx.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006

rdavis01

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2007

I didn't feel like I owed them a chance. Whether it was by mistake or on purpose they cancelled just that part of my order. I already had all the other parts of my build ordered and they took that money with no problem.

Once they canceled the order shopping around seemed in order. Now I saved some money on top of it.

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006

It's an 800 number so it's free. Also, unless you can read minds, you do not know it's a lie. They very well could have had an issue with their stock or the system that tracks the stock, especially considering the amount of traffic they have been getting over the past few days.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Sorry, but why give them a chance? :( I, in the first place, don't expect to have to call them after I place an order online to get to know why they didn't do their job properly in the first place. They should have procedure to make sure these mistakes (if mistake it is) don't happen in the first place. It would just be too easy to change the orders made and hope poeple would just accept or call them to correct the situation. :fou:

It's this simple...

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
on a side note i like how a big canadian store like NCIX hasnt adjusted there prices at all and have kept them at 289 canadian.. so if you still havent ordered try there instead maybe

Newegg cancels an order and suddenly eveyone becomes a conservative. What happened to all you big liberals who have an answer for everything? A simple phone call would have got the processor for the advertised price. But nooooooooooo...why pay the cost of free 800 call to ask. LMAO!

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006

agreed. newegg has gone mad with price gouging in the past year. whether it be the e4300 "consipicously" rising in price about every half hour or now with the quad being in stock, then out, then in at a higher price, then at higher price an hour later.

the plus sides of the egg are its interface which is significantly better than tigers and zips. browsing categories and finding products is done with ease on newegg. on zip, its sort of like trying to find a lamp in the dark. and newegg generally has the cheapest prices for new products and often with free shipping.

but lately their prices change so sporaditcally, several times in a day, as mentioned by someone else. it seems like they waited for the 22nd when they knew there would be a lot of traffic and then spiked the prices up.

btw.. the american dream doesnt mean you have to give the shaft to all of your customers on a daily basis. you can make profits and thrive in business by giving consisten good service or products. if you resort to shafting, someone else will come along and take your business and thats that.