Sign in with
Your question

Do AGP graphics cards work in PCI slots?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2007 5:37:29 AM

Above question. I have a Radeon X1600 and i want to know if it works with PCI slots for the new computer im going to assemble.
July 29, 2007 6:01:46 AM

Nah, agp video cards will only work with agp slots, pci-e with pci-e slots etc. Hope this helps
July 29, 2007 6:26:23 AM

If you use a big enough hammer, it will fit...
Related resources
July 29, 2007 7:25:53 AM

If AGP cards fit in PCI slots, then they would be called PCI cards... :sarcastic: 

You'll have to exchange the card for a PCI version - if they even exist.... But why not just upgrade your build or buy some other AGP board off of Ebay?
July 29, 2007 8:24:30 AM

PCKid777 said:
If AGP cards fit in PCI slots, then they would be called PCI cards... :sarcastic: 

You'll have to exchange the card for a PCI version - if they even exist.... But why not just upgrade your build or buy some other AGP board off of Ebay?

If you don't know if PCI cards even exist, should you be giving advice?
The only thing PCI cards are better than is on-board integrated video.
PCKid777: FYI
This is about as good as you can get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http:// www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681410303...
July 29, 2007 10:13:00 AM

He meant that particular card in PCI, not if PCI cards existed, if you can't see something so obvious maybe YOU shouldn't be giving advice
July 29, 2007 11:07:43 AM

croc said:
If you use a big enough hammer, it will fit...

lol lol

calm down people

@OP: sorry mate, but you cant use agp cards in pci slots or any other way.
July 29, 2007 6:58:08 PM

kpo6969 said:
If you don't know if PCI cards even exist, should you be giving advice?
The only thing PCI cards are better than is on-board integrated video.
PCKid777: FYI
jt001 said:
He meant that particular card in PCI, not if PCI cards existed, if you can't see something so obvious maybe YOU shouldn't be giving advice
What he said :pt1cable: 

Thank you jt001.

Perhaps the OP could provide us his system specs - at least the MB, CPU, and PSU. This may allow us to recommend a system upgrade (i.e. the motherboard primarily) that will support AGP.
July 29, 2007 10:41:25 PM

Thanks. Just wanted to know before I decided on which parts to buy.
July 29, 2007 11:05:11 PM

jt001 said:

I stand corrected, my appoligizies. BTW: With your vast knowledge would I require a 550w-34amp psu to run a GeForce 6600 gpu with a Anthlon 3500 cpu. A friend of mine has this set-up and I told him it was kinda over-kill for their equipment. He's only 19 and thinks you need a tank for everything. Thanks
July 29, 2007 11:23:58 PM

kpo6969 said:
I stand corrected, my appoligizies. BTW: With your vast knowledge would I require a 550w-34amp psu to run a GeForce 6600 gpu with a Anthlon 3500 cpu. A friend of mine has this set-up and I told him it was kinda over-kill for their equipment. He's only 19 and thinks you need a tank for everything. Thanks

now that's not needed, but that doesn't mean that it's bad. In this case I think he's more right than wrong, he not only has a lot of headroom so it won't put a big strain on the PSU, but also room for upgrades.
July 29, 2007 11:57:01 PM

kpo6969 said:
Apology accepted. Anyhow, its a bit overkill, yes, but look at my system specs and you'll see that my PSU is way overkill - about 4.5 times MORE than what I "need" to run my computer. My Kill A Watt meter measures about 155W at load when running Orthos (both cores loaded at 100%).

HOWEVER, the bad thing about running a PSU at a "light" load is that the PSU loses its efficiency. My particular PSU reaches its maximum efficiency at ~50% load, whereas I only have about a ~20% load on it. Its good to have headroom though if any PC upgrades are planned within a couple years or so.
July 30, 2007 3:50:33 AM

PCKid777 said:
Apology accepted. Anyhow, its a bit overkill, yes, but look at my system specs and you'll see that my PSU is way overkill - about 4.5 times MORE than what I "need" to run my computer. My Kill A Watt meter measures about 155W at load when running Orthos (both cores loaded at 100%).

HOWEVER, the bad thing about running a PSU at a "light" load is that the PSU loses its efficiency. My particular PSU reaches its maximum efficiency at ~50% load, whereas I only have about a ~20% load on it. Its good to have headroom though if any PC upgrades are planned within a couple years or so.

I had already looked at your specs before your last post.
1.Have you thought about upgrading your cpu with the additional AMD price cuts?
2.Why settle for 6600 when a 7600GT would be a better fit?
3.What % efficentcy per year is lost? (psu)
July 30, 2007 5:07:08 AM

1. The X2 4400+ already runs hot in this case - my shutdown temp (60C) kicked in a couple times already while playing COD2... I'm already thinking about switching to a Centurion case - know anybody who wants a TT Lanbox? ;) 
2. Must of read wrong specs - I have a 7950GT... :??:  Unless I misunderstood the question?
3. About a 5% efficiency loss versus a typical 50% load; it would cost me more money to use an extra 200W to reach that point :)  As for your friend's case...depends on the PSU.

4. Finally...I'm out of money and I have college to worry about now... :sarcastic:  so system upgrades will be far and few between....unless I start up a college business! lol.

July 30, 2007 8:52:13 AM

A big enough hammer ..... lol

"PCI slots for the new computer im going to assemble."

What?

!