Why is E6750 cheaper than E6700

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Newegg - 6750 $235
6700 $317

They have the same clock speed but from what i've read, the 6750 has the new G0 stepping (I have no idea what that means) and the 6750 has the higher FSB. So why is it still cheaper?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
They are phasing out the E6700 and it's being replaced by the E6750. It's the same reason the E6300 and E6400 are more expensive than the E6320 and E6420. If they lowered the price it would impact sales of their less expensive products, the problem is with the retailers who bought the CPU's at a higher price and are now stuck with stock that won't move.

G0 stepping is just a revision of the core which runs cooler and overclocks higher than previous versions.

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Thanks for the info.

On a side note, if I was a retailer, I would dramatically reduce pricing on the older procs. Sure, I might lose some money but at least I'll sell some of what's left, if not all. What good are those 6700s going to do them just sitting there with a price like that?

Edit: I just realized maybe they have some sort of agreement with Intel about pricing.

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
Same reason an FX-60 is more expensive than a X2-6000. The FX-60 is no longer made and therefore harder to find so therefore its going to cost more than the new X2-6000.

That doesn't make sense to me. Processors are not cars. So you're telling me that the first processor to ever come out should be the most expensive?

sailer

Splendid

It does make sense in a way. To someone owning a 939 platform, it makes sense to spend more money on the processor alone than to have to buy a processor, motherboard, and ram. This is especially true when you consider that the AM2 X2-6000 is not any faster than an overclocked FX60.

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Same reason an FX-60 is more expensive than a X2-6000. The FX-60 is no longer made and therefore harder to find so therefore its going to cost more than the new X2-6000.

It does seem like both Intel and AMD put too high a premium on the whole "unlocked multiplier" bit. I figured this was why an FX-62 is still $249. From what I've read, this will actually end up being slightly more expensive than the 6400+ when it gets here.

Oh yeah, since this thread is about the new Intel processors...Intel is just pushing their 1333 FSB CPUs like GeOMan said. ;)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Sure it does. The processors are not apreciating in value the way a classic car may, because people desire it. Its price increase simply due to shrinking supply. For ex, NOS of the top end socket A XP3200 CPUs (on the very rare occasion you can find them) are selling for over $300. At their lowest pricing, when they were in prduction, you could find them on sale for under $100. I paid $119 for mine several years ago and sold it used on ebay for $124 not long ago. Its not 'classic', but for someone who either doesnt know better, or is in a situation where they dont want to replace an entire system just to replace a bad CPU, they are going to have to pay what anyone wants to charge, or do without. You're not going to see this in the 'enthusiast' segment where people understand things, but in commercial, where you may have a computer controlled production machine being run on a specific system, with specific software, in both the short and long run, its often cheaper to pay an exhorbitant price to replace a bad component than to experiance excessive production down time to replace the entire system. Then, in the case of the typical dell buyer, they may just not know. If there is only one supplier, or ebay, and you dont know any better, you are going to pay what the seller wants.

easyg

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2007
GeOMan is right. Intel has been upfront about this. They have new chipsets out, and they want you to switch to them. The cheap prices of 1333 FSB CPUs compared with older parts is a little incentive to buy into the new chipsets supporting 1333 FSB (G33, G35, X38).

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

you also forgot to mention the P35 chipset and the 680i but the 680i will support that speed when you update(flash) your BIOS :D

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
its called marketing and market share - intel is still pizzed at amd!
they are putting the supreme hurt on amd!

second: go is probably as worthless as all the other throttle methods! i mean "GO"

third: the optimal speed is 1066 for most mobo's i.e. nvidia chipset mobos

so intel is putting the hurt on nvidia too

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Setting prices is complicated. I do it for a living, and I don't always understand what I am doing from time to time. But let me give this a try.

In nearly case the the vendor is trying to influence buyers decisions. The newer chip is cheaper, hence you will buy it.

(Oh, and it is better, so what the heck it is a good deal.)

In many cases the vendor may not actually have the older chip in stock, but they don't want to drop the chip from their offerings because they want to look like they have this huge product offering of 100's of different chips, when in fact they are only selling 6-10 chips and only stock those 6-10 chips.

If the prices on those older chips were lowered, a demand for the product could be created, and remember, the vendor does not have any inventory of those older chips, so they really don't want a demand to be created.

This problem of false inventory is quite common with dedicated online companies as their is no chance for a customer to perform an eyeball audit of their inventory and display shelves as could happen to a B&M store.

So what is Newegg doing? Good guestion. But look at this situation from my perspective? Does Newegg really have the older chip in stock? Are they trying to steer customers to a newer, better product?

By the way, I don't sell consumer electronics. But I do have a B&M that sells online. I don't want a customer showing up at my showroom looking for a product that I don't have in my warehouse. So in my business we drop the out of stock or older item from our website. But my dedicated online competitors will leave old, out of date, discontinued products on their websites, often for years, just to boost their product "offerings". It happens in my industry, and I suspect it happens in other industries as well.

keplenk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
Well said =) Thanks for the information. I was about to post about why the e6550 is cheaper that the e6420. It's just crazy! Lol