Experience with external HDs from Freecom?

asdfghjkl

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
I'm looking for an external case with or without harddisk and came across this one:
http://www.freecom-shop.ch/freecom-harddrive-500gb-usb2sata-p-1275.html?language=en&manufacturers_id=0

Does anybody have experience with these cases from Freecom? My current external case destroyed about 3 backup drives because of overheating, so I'm looking for better quality this time. The English description says the case has a fan, but the German page doesn't mention it and neither do other online shops, so who's right? What hard disk brand is used inside the case?

gent

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
As no one else has any comments...
I personally avoid Freecom stuff due to problems in the past, so I have no idea what their products are like now.
My choice would be an Antec MX-1 caddy, not the smallest of drive caddies, but does a very nice job of keeping the drive cool (and quiet), only minus point is the totally useless drive activity light!

quatra

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
I bought a Freecom drive last week. It's not recognized be the device manager or explorer on my PC. It's flawlessly recognized by my VAIO and the PC at my office.
Do some Googling and you will see that many people have this problem.
Don't buy any Feecom drive yet.