Serial direct cable connection problem

joe197608

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Hello,

I have a direct serial cable connection between 2 computers both running XP. I ran the networking wizard on both and one is set up as a host and one as a receiver.

I'm showing that the two computers are connected but when I make folders shared on the host computer, I'm unable to see them on the receiving computer in the shared folder. The host computer shows that it is able to share files and they aren't blocked by a firewall or anything.

I've gone through microsoft help and searched message boards all over the internet and followed the sharing procedure several times but I can't find a solution to my problem.

Anyone able to help or maybe point me in a direction that will get this solved I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joe

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
That is...very....old. You wanna run a 9kbs connection for ? I really dont know if the "newer" Serial ports even run the RS 232 protocols. IF they dont, forget about connecting over a serial cable.

No firewall here mate.
I done alot of that in my old times with my 386, but was everything MS-DOS configurated. Never tried on XP. You needed to configure the Baud Rate and a few other things. Cant remember on the top of my head now.

Honestly ? Get a Corssover LAN cable. Cheaper,Faster, more reliable and easier to mount. Just set the 2 IPs and share away !!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Unless the OP has a specific reason for needing to use a serial cable, he should strongly consider another method. Radnon was dead on when he suggested a crossover cable and 2 NICs. Odds are that at least one of the XP PCs already has an onboard NIC if not both. Any local computer shop would be happy to make you a crossover cable and might even give you some pointers for setting up TCP/IP on the adapters.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Ditto Radnor and Rodney_ws replies - that's WAY old. I'm going to pretend that there is a valid reason for doing via rs232, but I can't think of one myself.

To effectively create an rs232 connect between the two machines, you should probably be using a null modem device somewhere in the link (DCE/DTE). Here's a link that should help.

http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/pinout-and-signal.htm

/edit - original posting came out poorly. modified to include the link instead.