"C Drive" contents page stills opens on boot-up!

Hi,
a while ago I posted on this group a question as to why the "C
Drive" contents page opens whilst Windows Xp was booting up.

The answer I was told was to do with SP2 and that a short trip round
the registry would cure it.

Well I did that, but the page still opened, so I thought I'd just have
to live with it, but it is getting frustratingly annoying. It really
slows everything down and it's the last thing to load up. Once that
window opens I can then "use" the computer, as nothing will load until
that opens.

Please, does anyone have a solution to stop this annoying window from
opening and that'll work?

Regards

PLM

Hi,

> Well I did that, but the page still opened

Did what?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"knead2no" <killspam@completely.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> a while ago I posted on this group a question as to why the "C
> Drive" contents page opens whilst Windows Xp was booting up.
>
> The answer I was told was to do with SP2 and that a short trip round
> the registry would cure it.
>
> Well I did that, but the page still opened, so I thought I'd just have
> to live with it, but it is getting frustratingly annoying. It really
> slows everything down and it's the last thing to load up. Once that
> window opens I can then "use" the computer, as nothing will load until
> that opens.
>
> Please, does anyone have a solution to stop this annoying window from
> opening and that'll work?
>
> Regards
>
> PLM

This doesnt always work, but its free so it may be worth a shot. Go to
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and download the free program StartupCPL
and install it on your system. It'll give you an easy way to check the
majority of your startups to see what's calling on the C:\ drive during
startup.

If that fails, you might want to go through your Services and see which is
set to start automatically - and if any of them point to the C:\ drive during
startup.

Good luck! This is a frustrating problem and I'd be interested to see the
resolution.

"knead2no" wrote:

> Hi,
> a while ago I posted on this group a question as to why the "C
> Drive" contents page opens whilst Windows Xp was booting up.
>
> The answer I was told was to do with SP2 and that a short trip round
> the registry would cure it.
>
> Well I did that, but the page still opened, so I thought I'd just have
> to live with it, but it is getting frustratingly annoying. It really
> slows everything down and it's the last thing to load up. Once that
> window opens I can then "use" the computer, as nothing will load until
> that opens.
>
> Please, does anyone have a solution to stop this annoying window from
> opening and that'll work?
>
> Regards
>
> PLM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:28:01 -0700, usasma
<usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> sat down and wrote:

>This doesnt always work, but its free so it may be worth a shot. Go to
>http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and download the free program StartupCPL
>and install it on your system. It'll give you an easy way to check the
>majority of your startups to see what's calling on the C:\ drive during
>startup.
>
>If that fails, you might want to go through your Services and see which is
>set to start automatically - and if any of them point to the C:\ drive during
>startup.
>
>Good luck! This is a frustrating problem and I'd be interested to see the
>resolution.

Thanks for that I'll give it a go.

Regards

PLM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:01:04 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> sat down and wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> Well I did that, but the page still opened
>
>Did what?

Go through the Registry to find a double entry. An entry that, so I
was told, would make the contents of "C drive" be displayed on start
up.

I didn't have a double entry and I could find nothing that would give
rise to the reason why this should keep happening.

Regards

PLM

Hi,

Could you please export and post the contents of these keys in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
examination.

--

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 06:09:35 GMT, knead2no <killspam@completely.com>
sat down and wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:28:01 -0700, usasma
><usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> sat down and wrote:
>
>>This doesnt always work, but its free so it may be worth a shot. Go to
>>http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and download the free program StartupCPL
>>and install it on your system. It'll give you an easy way to check the
>>majority of your startups to see what's calling on the C:\ drive during
>>startup.
>>
>>If that fails, you might want to go through your Services and see which is
>>set to start automatically - and if any of them point to the C:\ drive during
>>startup.
>>
>>Good luck! This is a frustrating problem and I'd be interested to see the
>>resolution.
>>
>Thanks for that I'll give it a go.
>
>Regards
>
>PLM

Okay, I downloaded and run the program and carefully went through the
processes listed. I cannot find one that points to this causing the
behaviour I am getting.

Any ideas as to where else to look?

Regards

PLM

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 05:55:19 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> sat down and wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Could you please export and post the contents of these keys in the registry:
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
>To do this, start/run regedit, expand the branches to each key (do this one
>at a time). Click on the key, then on file/export. Give it any name, then
>save to the desktop. Once you have saved both keys, close the registry
>editor. Right-click one of the saved files on the desktop, choose edit, it
>should open in notepad. Click edit/select all/edit/copy. Open a response to
>this post and click in the message text area. Hit ctrl+v to paste the
>contents. Repeat for the other saved key, then send the post for
>examination.

Hi firstly many thanks for your help and here are the details as
requested.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"NvCplDaemon"="RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup"
"PrinTray"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\spool\\DRIVERS\\W32X86\\3\\printray.exe"
"nwiz"="nwiz.exe /install"
"BCMSMMSG"="BCMSMMSG.exe"
"POINTER"="point32.exe"
"NeroFilterCheck"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NeroCheck.exe"
"REGSHAVE"="C:\\Program Files\\REGSHAVE\\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN"
"EPSON
PictureMate"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\spool\\DRIVERS\\W32X86\\3\\E_S4I0P1.EXE
/P17 \"EPSON PictureMate\" /O6 \"USB002\" /M \"PictureMate\""
"QuickTime Task"="\"C:\\Program Files\\QuickTime\\qttask.exe\"
-atboottime"
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit"
"gcasServ"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft
AntiSpyware\\gcasServ.exe\""
"CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 11b"="C:\\Program Files\\Corel\\Corel
Graphics 12\\Languages\\EN\\Programs\\Registration.exe
/title=\"CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 12\" /date=070505
serial=DR12WNP-9936859-UJJ lang=EN"
"AcctMgr"="C:\\Program Files\\Norton Password Manager\\AcctMgr.exe
/startup"
"UserFaultCheck"=hex(2):25,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,72,00,6f,00,\

6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,\

00,64,00,75,00,6d,00,70,00,72,00,65,00,70,00,20,00,30,00,20,00,2d,00,75,00,\
00,00
"ccApp"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Symantec
Shared\\ccApp.exe\""
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\SYMNET~1\\SNDMon.exe
/Consumer"
"Lexmark X73 Button
Monitor"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\LEXMAR~1\\ACMonitor_X73.exe"
"Lexmark X73 Button
Manager"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\LEXMAR~1\\AcBtnMgr_X73.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\IMAIL]
"Installed"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
"Installed"="1"
"NoChange"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
"Installed"="1"

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"CTFMON.EXE"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
"H/PC Connection Agent"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft
ActiveSync\\WCESCOMM.EXE\""
"MtdAcq"="C:\\Program Files\\Creative\\Shared Files\\Media
Sniffer\\MtdAcq.EXE /s"
"MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background"
"NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit"
"MessengerPlus3"="\"\\\" /WinStart"

Best regards

PLM

Hi,

No obvious damage. Try this: Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, uncheck
the line "restore previous folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do not
reboot yet.

Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
apply/ok and reboot at prompted.

The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?

For many users, this will resolve the issue. For some that still have
registry damage it will not. If this is the case, run msconfig once again
and use selective startup. Go to the startup tab and uncheck half the
entries. Click apply/ok and reboot. Does it still occur? If so, the problem
is in one of the remaining checked items and you should repeat the procedure
by unchecking half of the remaining ones. If not, then recheck half of those
you unchecked.

Use the above steps to isolate which entry is causing the problem. Then post
back with that information.

--

> [...]
> "Installed"="1"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MAPI]
> "Installed"="1"
> "NoChange"="1"
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS]
> "Installed"="1"
>

> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
> "CTFMON.EXE"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\ctfmon.exe"
> "H/PC Connection Agent"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft
> ActiveSync\\WCESCOMM.EXE\""
> "MtdAcq"="C:\\Program Files\\Creative\\Shared Files\\Media
> Sniffer\\MtdAcq.EXE /s"
> "MSMSGS"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe\" /background"
> "NvMediaCenter"="RUNDLL32.EXE
> C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\NVMCTRAY.DLL,NvTaskbarInit"

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:12:16 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> sat down and wrote:

>Hi,
>
>No obvious damage. Try this: Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab, uncheck
>the line "restore previous folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do not
>reboot yet.
>
>Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
>apply/ok and reboot at prompted.
>
>The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
>normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?
>
>For many users, this will resolve the issue. For some that still have
>registry damage it will not. If this is the case, run msconfig once again
>and use selective startup. Go to the startup tab and uncheck half the
>entries. Click apply/ok and reboot. Does it still occur? If so, the problem
>is in one of the remaining checked items and you should repeat the procedure
>by unchecking half of the remaining ones. If not, then recheck half of those
>you unchecked.
>
>Use the above steps to isolate which entry is causing the problem. Then post
>back with that information.

Hi,
many thanks for the info and I think I may have found the errant
command.

Using the info provided I have left unchecked in msconfig the
following line;

Startup Item = "/WinStart

Command = "\"/WinStart

Location = SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

With that unchecked the problem has gone. So how do I now disable it
completely and return the msconfig to "normal" rather than
"selective"?

Regards

PLM

Hi,

You don't have to do anything further if you don't want to. There is no
reason that you cannot leave it in selective startup mode. However, if you
like, run regedit once more and navigate here:

Then delete the string in the right pane that loads this:

"MessengerPlus3"="\"\\\" /WinStart"

and actually, I believe the problem is the space before /Winstart. if you
open the string (double click it) and modify it to remove the space leaving
just:

"MessengerPlus3"="\"\\\"/WinStart"

you will likely see the problem resolved as well.

--

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 22:12:16 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> sat down and wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>No obvious damage. Try this: Control Panel/Folder Options/View tab,
>>uncheck
>>the line "restore previous folder windows at logon". Click apply/ok, do
>>not
>>reboot yet.
>>
>>Start/run msconfig, on the general tab select the diagnostic mode. Click
>>apply/ok and reboot at prompted.
>>
>>The folder should not show up now. Rerun msconfig, put the system back in
>>normal mode. Click apply/ok and reboot once more. Does this help?
>>
>>For many users, this will resolve the issue. For some that still have
>>registry damage it will not. If this is the case, run msconfig once again
>>and use selective startup. Go to the startup tab and uncheck half the
>>entries. Click apply/ok and reboot. Does it still occur? If so, the
>>problem
>>is in one of the remaining checked items and you should repeat the
>>procedure
>>by unchecking half of the remaining ones. If not, then recheck half of
>>those
>>you unchecked.
>>
>>Use the above steps to isolate which entry is causing the problem. Then
>>post
>>back with that information.
>
> Hi,
> many thanks for the info and I think I may have found the errant
> command.
>
> Using the info provided I have left unchecked in msconfig the
> following line;
>
> Startup Item = "/WinStart
>
> Command = "\"/WinStart
>
> Location = SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> With that unchecked the problem has gone. So how do I now disable it
> completely and return the msconfig to "normal" rather than
> "selective"?
>
> Regards
>
> PLM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 15:52:36 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> sat down and wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You don't have to do anything further if you don't want to. There is no
>reason that you cannot leave it in selective startup mode. However, if you
>like, run regedit once more and navigate here:
>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
>Then delete the string in the right pane that loads this:
>
>"MessengerPlus3"="\"\\\" /WinStart"
>
>and actually, I believe the problem is the space before /Winstart. if you
>open the string (double click it) and modify it to remove the space leaving
>just:
>
>"MessengerPlus3"="\"\\\"/WinStart"
>
>you will likely see the problem resolved as well.

Hi Thanks for that. The entry wasn't in location you suggested, a
quick "find" found it and I've deleted it.

Everything is fine now.

Regards

PLM

Cool, glad to help you get it worked out.